Author Topic: Question for those awaiting Neutopia 3  (Read 726 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Question for those awaiting Neutopia 3
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:55:28 PM »
Ok, as the main composer of the music, I need your feedback.  Since this game is going to be big, it's going to have alot of songs, & quite frankly, the cd is going to be packed with data & redbook audio.  But, since there are so many overworld area's, there's alot of overworld songs, not to mention several dungeon & boss tracks, & ofcoarse the house theme from the first 2 games. 

Now, I have 1 villiage theme, which was composed by my buddy Jevax, & it's beautiful.  But, it might have to be the only song used for villiages, because there's only so much room on a disc.  Plus, if we do cinemas, which I hope we do, that's even more space that will be used on the disc.  Though, I'm hoping we'll do all the cinema's in adpcm, rather then redbook.  I also don't know yet if I'll need specific Event music.

So, my question to you guys is, would you rather have lot's of rockin' overworld music, & just one villiage theme?  Or would you want less overworld music, & several villiage themes?  To me, I'd rather have just more overworld music, but, I wanted to get feedback, & at the very least, make sure ya'll understand what I'm up against here.

It's always possible, that I might be able to make some short villiage themes, that, can end so that when the track reloads, it'll be on beat, but that's wait & see.

Anyways, so, fire away :D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:22:06 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Joe Redifer

Re: Question for those awaiting Neutopia 3
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
I could live with one village theme.  If there are a bunch of villages, then it might be good to have two themes (one for poor villages and the other for rich?  I dunno).

Just as long as the soundtrack features Dragula by Rob Zombie it will be good.  Every game needs Dragula.  Oh wait, almost every game already has it.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »
Yeah, I thought about atleast 1 other one, where it's for villiages that have been destroyed or are in desperate times.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
I'd rather have more overworld songs probably, though having at least two different town tracks would be great. And yeah, can't have too much of that damn Dragula track.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »
Screw the Villages, the more overworld tunes the better.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:55:29 PM »
Maybe the villages could be PSG.  That way when you get out to the overworld(s) it seems more grandiose and crap like that.  This is a great idea.  They did the same thing with Ys 1 and 2 and look how great everyone thinks those games are.

Also, a note to the art designers:  What's the difference between anime and generic?  Nothing.  I hope you don't plan to have an anime art style.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »
Maybe the villages could be PSG.  That way when you get out to the overworld(s) it seems more grandiose and crap like that.  This is a great idea.  They did the same thing with Ys 1 and 2 and look how great everyone thinks those games are.
This is indeed a great idea, only problem is that it's hard to find PCE PSG composers out there :( . It's hard enough making the sound effects.

Quote from: Joe
Also, a note to the art designers:  What's the difference between anime and generic?  Nothing.  I hope you don't plan to have an anime art style.
I am the sprite designer and the art style for the sprites will closely follow the first two, more so of the second one. I guess you could sorta consider that anime, but there isn't much of an anime style to old sprites to begin with :) . As far as the cinemas and face portraits are concerned, and if we get the artist we are hoping for, the style will have an anime look. I'm not a fan of anime, but anime would suit Neutopia nicely as well as fitting in with other TG16/PCE CD games.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:33:37 AM »
We're hoping/pretty sure a member of Ancient Land of Ys will do the art for this game, and she is extremely talented. Here's a sample of her work:

Yunica from Ys Origin - Click to enlarge

Anyway, overworld music is much more important, as the overworlds will be vast, to say the least. But yeah, two village tunes would be cool, but definitely not necessary.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:35:28 AM by Seldane »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 05:11:32 AM »
I've thought that, a style similar to Dungeon Explorer 2 would be the way to go, which is anime, but, I don't think it overdoes it, no big eyes, etc.  But, we'll see what happens.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:06:25 AM »
My $.02 - The villages aren't as important as the overworld; one or two village tunes would be fine.  Either DE2 style or as in the pic posted by Seldane would be fantastic.  It doesn't really matter to me, as long as there is consistancy throughout the game.  Now quit teasing me - when's the demo coming out?  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »
Quote from: Seldane

We're hoping/pretty sure a member of Ancient Land of Ys will do the art for this game, and she is extremely talented. Here's a sample of her work:

I'm sure she is talented, but that looks like every other anime drawing ever, except with maybe more sketch marks or something.  There certainly isn't anything unique about the style.  Hundreds of thousands of people all over the world actively draw the same exact style, which is why I consider anime generic.

I don't think I've played Neutopia 2, so I dunno.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
That pic she did reminds me of Ys.  When I think of generic anime, I think of One Piece.  Just no real deffinition, very blah.

GUTS

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11:58 PM »
Yeah its generic looking, but at least it looks professional and not shitty like most fan-art.

nodtveidt

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »
Fortunately, the data portion of the disc will not be huge. I estimate that the data will not exceed 32MB, which leaves the other +600MB free for redbook audio. As for the PSG soundtrack idea...don't count on it. That would require either a PSG-based tracker or some kind of MIDI converter far superior to Trilinear's attempt (which isn't bad but isn't all that good either, nowhere near suited for professional deployment), and then a new music library to handle it all. It's more work than necessary. It sounds like a great idea until you're the one coding it, hehe. :D ](*,)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 05:02:05 PM »
Yeah, I can't do coding, & we really don't know anyone that does know how to do it well for the music.  If we did psg, I'd want someone who can do stuff, like who did Dungeon Explorer, Manic Pro Wrestling, & Legendary Axe 2.  Though, ultimately, I'd probably want Falcom to do it :lol:  They did an awesome job, especially on Legend of Xanadu 2!