Author Topic: Question for those awaiting Neutopia 3  (Read 729 times)

Kaminari

Re: Question for those awaiting Neutopia 3
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 04:35:36 AM »
This is indeed a great idea, only problem is that it's hard to find PCE PSG composers out there :( . It's hard enough making the sound effects.

PSG tunes in villages would be great.

It's hard to find motivated composers because we're in dire need of a decent PSG tracking program. Understandably, no composer today wants to waste time with a primitive MML notepad when other platforms have such neat sequencers as FamiTracker, NerdTrackers 2, Raster Music Tracker or Vortex Tracker 2.

esteban

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 09:05:15 AM »
In response to the original question: screw the villages!

However, instead of one (or two alternating) village themes, I say you use a short, looping, ambient track for each village. You could have a bunch of these soundscapes and recycle them once or twice, as necessary (in other words, each village doesn't have to have its own, unique track... but there will still be variety).

I think ambient tracks would be a nice break from the music (something I always liked) and it will get folks pumped up when they make the village --> new overworld transition.

When I say "ambient noise" or "soundscape", I'm pretty flexible. Personally, I'm thinking of soundscapes created with "natural" or "organic" sound effects... but subdued electronic ambient music that fosters a similar feeling would be fine as well.

The key thing, I think, is to make the track loop nicely... to minimize the extent to which folks realize it loops. A proper song is very noticable when it loops after 30 seconds, but a soundscape wouldn't be as annoying, IMO.

Anyway, those are my $0.02.

I'll be delighted with whatever you folks do! :)
  |    | 

2X4

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
I have to agree with Joe Redifer.  If it's feasible, you should consider doing a couple of town tracks in PSG.  Not only will it ramp up the effect of entering the overworld and hearing the redbook track.  Another reason is that the PSG music is just awesome, and one of the reasons that the turbo was so cool.  The PSG music enhances the nostalgic, old skool feel of the game. 

That said, if it isn't feasible, I would vote for having at least one alternate town track, because you spend so damn much time in the town (at least I do), you just need some variety.  It would be worth it if you have to double dip on one of the better overworld tracks, IMO.  Take one of the stronger overworld tracks and use it once towards the beginning of the game and again closer to the end.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

nodtveidt

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 12:42:21 PM »
It would also tack on a ton of extra development time, that's the only real issue. I can write in a music player without problems, as it would just be a part of the sound engine that the game has now, but there would have to be a way to compose music in a way that we could make use of, and right now there's simply nothing that would work. The development time for such a utility is a project in and of itself that could easily take six months to a year to put together. As much as I do like the idea of using PSG-based music for certain parts, sadly it's simply unrealistic at this point. But that's not to say it can't be done...if it can be done and it doesn't add too much dev time to the project, I think it would work out.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 12:44:34 PM »
Yeah, what Nod said :D

esteban

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »
Hey Paranoia, do you like my idea or do you think it sucks? Don't worry about hurting my feelings :).

Seriously, though, I'm just curious if there's even the slimmest chance of you folks doing something along those lines.

Also, I was thinking about this issue, and I recall some games used short tracks that looped... IIRC, Exile had a few tracks like that. They didn't use "soundscapes", but rather songs, so maybe short looping songs is a viable option as well?

:}
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:26:17 PM by stevek666 »
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 03:33:23 PM »
Steve I like your idea and I think you made a very good point.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

vestcoat

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 04:10:33 PM »
Here's an idea--make the villages totally badass.
No lame music needed.  Just roll into town during a thunderstorm, slaughter peasants, join an assassins guild, and loot the town treasury while rocking out to epic medieval ballads and shredding guitars...heck, throw in a Neutopia-style mix of Cop Killer.
:twisted:

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
Here's an idea--make the villages totally badass.
No lame music needed.  Just roll into town during a thunderstorm, slaughter peasants, join an assassins guild, and loot the town treasury while rocking out to epic medieval ballads and shredding guitars...heck, throw in a Neutopia-style mix of Cop Killer.
:twisted:
Did you steal our design document or something? :lol: :dance: :-" :-k [-X

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »
I like your idea about ambient sound, but, I like music even more.  Pretty much, as far as I can tell, any villiage songs I do do, will be short.  Since Jevax hasn't finished the first villiage song, I'm not sure how long it'll be, but, it's a really good song!

nodtveidt

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 06:29:11 AM »
Even in its unfinished form, that piece sounds simply amazing. The two of you are just plain talented. :dance:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 09:39:19 AM »
Even in its unfinished form, that piece sounds simply amazing. The two of you are just plain talented. :dance:

Which is much better than fancy talented.   :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 06:24:21 PM »
I suppose :-k  Well, that particular song is not my work, so I can't attribute me being talented due to that song.