Author Topic: PC Engine AV mod  (Read 11549 times)

Keranu

Re: PC Engine AV mod
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2007, 11:32:51 AM »
I noticed the clouds in Fantasy Zone and that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me. In fact, sometimes it looks kinda cool :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2007, 01:10:48 PM »
Just what makes composite so "american"? :P

termis

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »

In general, I think Americans tend to be late adopters when it comes to consumer technology.   Being late adopters isn't always bad (hell, I rarely buy 1st generation models), but certain things make so much more sense... i.e. the metric system!

Keranu

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2007, 05:42:38 PM »
Because Americans don't need no stinkin' RGB :D .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »
God yeah I wished they would have tought metric when I was in high school, to this day I can't wrap my head around shit measured in metric.

Spector

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2007, 03:14:37 AM »
The component is brighter and therefore my pics of them are a tad overexposed.  If I change the shutter I get a giant bar across the screen when I take pics.  Also, did you not notice the giant vertical bars in the clouds in Fantasy Zone?  They flicker back and forth like crazy.  Also the stem of the flowers towards the bottom of the screen are pretty messed up in composite.  It is definitely worth it for someone who appreciates video quality.  Definitely not worth it for people who don't care and/or can't notice.

The problem with RGB is that it's sometimes too clean and clear, and it can appear lifeless. There are computers/consoles I have that clearly look better in composite/rf than in RGB, simply because of all the dirt on the screen. This might not apply to the PC Engine though. What I am looking for in my mod is a picture quality that is as good as what people had back in the day, not what is considered the best now. And since no-one had RGB then, I guess that would be A/V.
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

Black Tiger

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:09 AM »
God yeah I wished they would have tought metric when I was in high school, to this day I can't wrap my head around shit measured in metric.

Metric's a lot easier to learn than imperial, since it all makes sense. Once you figure that much out, all there is to learn is the vocabulary (deci, milli, hexa and litre, gram, metre, etc).

Although Canada's officially metric, most people are comfortable measuring in pounds, miles and feet. Just don't ask the average person here how many imperial units make up the next unit.  :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2007, 06:42:47 AM »
The problem with RGB is that it's sometimes too clean and clear, and it can appear lifeless. There are computers/consoles I have that clearly look better in composite/rf than in RGB, simply because of all the dirt on the screen. This might not apply to the PC Engine though. What I am looking for in my mod is a picture quality that is as good as what people had back in the day, not what is considered the best now. And since no-one had RGB then, I guess that would be A/V.
I agree. I think something we should keep in mind when it comes to these older consoles is what setups the developers used to design the games. I'm sure the developers tested their games on standard TVs using RF or composite back then so maybe they designed the graphics with RF or composite in mind so it would look nicer on the TV.

GUTS

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2007, 07:04:41 AM »
Personally I would have to side with Keranu on this, I think composite or S-Video is good enough for anything 16-bit or older since all those old system relied somewhat on the video output to smooth the graphics out (like the dithering in Genesis games).  RGB just looks too blocky and sterile, it makes them look like old computer games and they lose part of what made them special as console games.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
Ditto on everything but the Genesis composite,since the Genesis offered RGB out normally without needing a hack,and that there was optional s-video breakout boxes made,I think its ideal to use something other then composite on that system if you can. I used to be fine with Genesis composite back when I was younger and used average tv sets but that no longer suites me these days.

BTW Joe my son said he read your KPJ AES died a ugly death. Sucks to be you man,sucks to be you. Contact OSG or Razoola,maybe they can help without you paying tons to Kenny again. I fixed two consolized MVS systems like a year and  a half ago that both I think came from Kenny possibly. The problem was the AD chip on the encoders were not soldered down well and had to be redone. The consolization looked like Kennys stuff,coulda been Arcade Kingdom too,and the encoders were Neobitz junk. The problem was either Kurtz didn't solder the chips down good,or they were the do it yourself kits and the person doing the consolization did a shoddy job putting them together.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:36:40 AM by Michael Helgeson »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2007, 11:11:37 AM »
If you guys had RGB you'd like it.

The Neo Geo is a horribly built system.  The Genesis has always been more reliable.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2007, 11:39:52 AM »
If you guys had RGB you'd like it.

The Neo Geo is a horribly built system.  The Genesis has always been more reliable.

I've never come across a dead Neo MVS or AES unless it was abused,killed by power surge,or poorly modded,or modded part went bad. I can't really agree with you that they are poorly built because I never had a MVS or AES break on me personally. The 2 slot I use now has lasted years of use and still stands strong.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »
I guess I'm not talking just about reliability, actually.  On a lot of the units, the composite sucks even worse than the Genesis, but on units where the composite is good, the RGB sucks.  In fact from what I know the RGB sucks on most of them.  They just couldn't get it right.

Oh wait, I forgot... this forum HATES RGB.

Also I've seen a lot of carts that have graphical glitches in them where they aren't supposed to have any, like small dots or lines, etc (mine happens on the select screen of Fatal Fury 2 and in the middle of the first part of stage 2 in Magician Lord).  No matter how I clean them they won't go away.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:10:40 PM by Joe Redifer »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2007, 12:29:23 PM »
Ive only run into 3 "glitch" carts ever,and they were pretty abused. I completely agree with you on the composite/RGB probs with the AES. The higher number models deff had better composite,but their RGB was horrible and needed tunning. The older run systems with bad composite,I totally hate those units. They may have do able RGB,but if  a person who can't get a RGB monitor got stuck with one of those things he/she was in for bad times.

Keranu

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2007, 12:49:34 PM »
Oh wait, I forgot... this forum HATES RGB.
I'd say this forum is more of an even split. The American users don't really care for RGB while the European users are all for it. Probably because they can't play PCE in PAL and may as well do the RGB mod since it's better.