Author Topic: PC Engine AV mod  (Read 11522 times)

ccovell

Re: PC Engine AV mod
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2007, 03:28:32 PM »
Enough, enough!  This is tedious in the extreme.  Nobody else on this forum cares who is at fault when personal attacks come up.  Straying off-topic is bad enough, but doing it with personal gibes at each other makes us all unhappy.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2007, 05:02:17 AM »
Lock please!
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Keranu

« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2007, 06:28:29 AM »
Would anyone else like to get a word in before I lock it? :P
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Spector

« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2007, 06:46:35 AM »

Yeah - anyone do a good RGB mod?     :lol:
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

GUTS

« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2007, 06:51:02 AM »
Why lock topics?  That's for pussies.  I can see why Joe and Mike get so pissed about this, its like on the Gamesx forums when somebody pretends to know what they're talking about, then they get dismantled by a couple of the regulars, its hilarious.

FM-77

« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2007, 06:58:55 AM »
Word.

esteban

« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2007, 07:21:27 AM »
Why lock topics?  That's for pussies.  I can see why Joe and Mike get so pissed about this, its like on the Gamesx forums when somebody pretends to know what they're talking about, then they get dismantled by a couple of the regulars, its hilarious.
:)  Indeed. As a general policy, I don't think we should lock topics. Thus far, I don't think this thread warrants any further measures.

Plus, I think it's more important that we "police" ourselves. We have been doing a decent job of it.

I just wish we could find out what games Buster D was playing on his set-up! Tell us Buster, if you're still out there...
  |    | 

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2007, 07:59:26 AM »
Well,you know he could have just as easily put up his pics as proof,but I mean,he kept changing his opinion of the picture quality,and I know how well Dscaler runs,and I do not like it for games. It doesn't matter how well you tweak it,its not going to give you as good a picture for older game systems as he would like to believe. Also,I knew what his goal was,without him even saying it.

He was using his comp and Dscaler to avoid SDTVs  scanlines and try to improve the game systems picture,which just can not be done by that method,as it does not look as natural or as normal as on a well made SDTV. He even confirmed it with this remark:
But it will do until I get a standalone high-end upscaler.

I do not know if he even considered this but a high end up-scaler even worth buying is up there well past $1500.
Couple this with the cost of a good HDTV just to avoid scanlines and your talking madness. At this rate he would be better off just playing roms on emus. Its the look hes gunning for and since thats the case it would be cheaper to do the emu scene instead.

Dscaler is good for deinterlacing video like VHS and LD and if your lazy, DVD to watch on the fly. However if you really want to deinterlace DVD at the best quality it is better to do it by another method,like in Tmpg. Takes longer,but the end product will look nicer.Dscaler also works well for reducing video noise on analog video like VHS and Laserdisc on the fly and detecting and removing 2:2 pulldown of Pal and 3:2 pulldown on stuff. Its a better suited program for video,not video games.

The other problem I kinda have with Dscaler is it can give a slightly blurred look after its done doing its thing,and this is more obvious with DVDs watched trough it. But I mean,its the quickest method,and the quickest is not going to look the best easily.

The guy is going trough alot of hassle just to run his older game systems and there is no excuse for that really when he could avoid all that and just embrace the fact the stuff will look fine on a normal SDTV. Hes trying to be too techie and leet with his computer then anything else. Oh yea,the other prob,and this is well known,is that Dscaler has issues with  a variety of capture cards,so if your buying one just for it you should check the list of known working cards. ATIs TV Wonder works well,that I am sure of.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 08:19:06 AM by Michael Helgeson »

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2007, 08:52:13 AM »

I like pie  :-$

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2007, 09:27:23 AM »

Ummmm... hair pie - yes, I am a post whore.  :twisted:

It's funny how people will defend their ideas regardless of how many times they are shown the error of their ways.  DScaler would almost make sense if the goal were to use an HDTV.  Old consoles look best on a SDTV, but not everybody wants to have another set around the house for games.  Not to mention there is a lack of new, quality CRT sets in larger sizes in either SDTV or HDTV (unfortunately, tubes are going the way of the dodo bird).  If you're going to use a computer at all, why not cut out the middle man, box up the console for storage, and just use an emulator?  Does anybody on here do this?  When my set goes into the great beyond, I figure that will be the route that I take.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

TR0N

« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2007, 12:22:13 PM »

For that matter where's the pie!?

1+

I'm sure some body will get the joke.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

sunteam_paul

« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2007, 07:53:44 PM »
cake > pie
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Spector

« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2007, 10:59:26 PM »
To return to what a lot of this topic was originally about, I've been looking at the differences between composite and Xbox emulation via SCART, and I've come to the conclusion that composite in some games has an advantage over RGB, though overall RGB is preferable.
Volfied, for example, has a colourful pattern in the areas filled in screen one, but on the emulator, the pattern is black and white, and looks less interesting. The patterns were clearly designed to be seen through composite.
A more blatant example can be found in  Kung Fu. Stage 1-2 has a red sky and a red reflection in the water, and it dithers like crazy through composite. When playing it on the emulator, you can see why. The dithering covers up the limitations of the parallax scrolling, because without it, the foreground water appears to be connected to the footpath! It moves at the same speed, thus destroying the effect of the scrolling background.

To play devil's advocate though, I think the colour in Xevious is brilliant on RGB.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:33:17 PM by Spector »
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

Keranu

« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2007, 03:50:33 AM »
cake > pie
Dude no way, cake sucks 90% of the time. Pie > Cake easily. I think the best answer is Donut > Everything.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »
cake > pie
Dude no way, cake sucks 90% of the time. Pie > Cake easily. I think the best answer is Donut > Everything.

Dude, it goes Cake > Donut < Pie. 

Seriously  :roll:

You've got to get your mom, girlfiend, grandma, whoever, to brush up on their baking skills.  [-X
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum