Author Topic: Blazing Lazers Debug Mode  (Read 1861 times)

nat

Re: Blazing Lazers Debug Mode
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 05:46:18 AM »
Just as there are codes for Dragon's Curse that only work on the Japanese region cart. A lot of codes seem to be region-independent, for whatever reason.

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 06:02:27 AM »
Very interesting. Hopefully it works then, Tatsujin.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 06:27:55 AM »
While we are on the discussion of Blazing Lazers, can anyone give me a clear explanination on how the purple orb things (or gel capsules whatever they call them in the manual) work? The instruction manual says how collecting them powers up your weapon so many times, but do these orbs allow you to continue from where you died as well? I've had this discussion a few times but I never really got a clear answer on how many orbs it takes to allow you to continue. I would assume around 10, but that could easily be wrong.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »
While we are on the discussion of Blazing Lazers, can anyone give me a clear explanination on how the purple orb things (or gel capsules whatever they call them in the manual) work? The instruction manual says how collecting them powers up your weapon so many times, but do these orbs allow you to continue from where you died as well? I've had this discussion a few times but I never really got a clear answer on how many orbs it takes to allow you to continue. I would assume around 10, but that could easily be wrong.
I think you'll be able to find my old post (if it was here and not magicengine). The purple gels are only for powering up. The blinking gels, that make everything on the screen blow-up: those give you one credit to "continue without reverting to checkpoint." I  collect tons of the blinking gels during the course of a game, but I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many you keep "in reserve." All I know  is that I've purposefully killed myself repeatedly to see if I would be sent back to a checkpoint, but I don't think I ever was.

Unfortunately, I can't recall how many credits I had at the time (8? 10? 12?).

I have never read about this anywhere (online or offline) ... so it would be nice if folks could confirm how this undocumented feature actually works.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info, Steve! That seems to make a lot of sense then, but yes anyone who can confirm this would be even better. I tried searching from that thread you mentioned before I made this one, but had no luck finding it (was a rather brief search to be honest). That thread had some good info in it.

elnino

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »
As Steve has correctly mentioned, the purple orbs are just for powering up your weapon. Basically a huge amount of them (I don't know the exact number) have the same effect as one orb with the Roman number of your weapon, therefore you don't really need them for powering up. The blinking ones allow you to continue on spot without being reset. I will count them the next time I play the game since I don't know if you have to collect multiple blinkers to get one continue and if there's a limit.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

elnino

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 08:23:10 PM »
I wanted to access to level select so I could replay some of my favorite levels.
great idea. does this one also work on the japanese one?
I have the Japanese version too, but haven't tried it yet. I imagine it would.
great, will try it out tonight when i have some time left :)

Have you tried?^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 10:49:23 PM »
I wanted to access to level select so I could replay some of my favorite levels.

Have you tried?^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Tatsujin

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 10:50:11 PM »
Have you tried?^^
nopy^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net

elnino

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »
Ano ahou!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Tatsujin

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

esteban

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 03:06:11 AM »
As Steve has correctly mentioned, the purple orbs are just for powering up your weapon. Basically a huge amount of them (I don't know the exact number) have the same effect as one orb with the Roman number of your weapon, therefore you don't really need them for powering up. The blinking ones allow you to continue on spot without being reset. I will count them the next time I play the game since I don't know if you have to collect multiple blinkers to get one continue and if there's a limit.
I haven't played the game in years, but I'm pretty certain 1 blinker = 1 continue. I remember experimenting to try to figure out how it worked. I was playing one of the harder modes (godhead?) and dying a lot... those blinkers actually come in handy in the harder modes!

It will be awesome if you could determine if there is a limit to the number of blinkers you can keep in reserve (well, you can only test this in relation to the total number of credits you can acquire).
  |    | 

grahf

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 04:17:43 AM »
So, anyone try the debug mode on Gunhed yet?

Keranu

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 06:08:10 AM »
Just tried performing the debug mode on Gunhed and it didn't work :( . I wasn't even able to get to the sound mode, which makes sense since the title screen is completely different from Blazing Lazers.

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
Very good info, thanks. I think you left something important out though and that is once you collect so many purple orbs, a orb with the Roman number of your weapon will come down BUT you can actually shoot these orbs until they explode and become a blinking orb :) . Now it looks like we're really getting somewhere with this orb system :D . I guess all we have to figure out now is how many purple orbs it takes to receive a Roman Numeral / Blinking orb.