Author Topic: Blazing Lazers Debug Mode  (Read 1867 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Blazing Lazers Debug Mode
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 11:30:10 AM »
Would anyone fluent in japanese like to translate this-
it only describes, how to access the invincible mode :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Tatsujin

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2007, 11:36:36 AM »
I'm still as vulnerable as always. :(

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2007, 12:15:46 PM »
Alright, I just tried Gunhed on my PCE using my flash card and I got the invincibility trick to work both with 57 and 77, by pressing Up then Down as the BL trick works.

The only thing is, the game is also running in slow mo and the intro & title screen were slightly glitchy.

Maybe the slowdown is a bug from using the flashcard?

Keranu, the Sound Test trick was impossible for me to do using my thumb. I had to use two fingers to on the d-pad to get it to work.

EDIT: For whatever reasons, I've never played Blazing Lazers or Gunhed before. After trying out those tricks, I reset and tried out the first level just to see what the game is like. I wound up getting sucked in and just finished the game without dying.  :D

I was impressed by myself... until I hit Run at the title screen after the credits to see if anything had been unlocked. Since it just entered the regular game again, I started this post. After noticing how long the music was playing, I looked over to see that the invincibility tricked was still active, even though I'd just played through the game without the slowdown.  :dance:  :cry:

BUT! I never lost my shields the entire game and I just tested it out and you don't die unless your shields completely disappear and you then you take a hit. So as far as I'm concerned, I really did finish the game without dying.  :D

I tried to repeat the invincibility trick, but couldn't get the second part of the trick to work and reset. Now I can't get the Sound Test trick to work on either my Gunhed loaded flash card or Blazing Lazers Turbochip.  :( But my current theory is that you perform the invincibilty trick as described above and then reset the slo mo game to play at full speed.

I have some questions for people who have more experience with these games.

Is it normal for the occassional power up to get hooked on your shot and sometimes stay in one spot for a long time? I saw this happen while trying out Super Star Soldier on Wii and thought that it was probably a bug.

Was that lady kept as part of the last boss in the U.S., version?

At the 'The End' screen after a while I picked the control pad off of the floor and suddenly 'Select A/B' appeared at the bottom right corner of the screen, in the same font as 'The End', but after hesitating to push any buttons, it then disappeared. What the hell is that?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:50:19 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
Cool stuff, Black_tiger!

Keranu, the Sound Test trick was impossible for me to do using my thumb. I had to use two fingers to on the d-pad to get it to work.
Actually I usually use this method whenever I access the Sound Mode on Blazing Lazers too, it's a lot easier.

Quote from: Black_Panther
Was that lady kept as part of the last boss in the U.S., version?
Yep.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

elnino

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »
Is it normal for the occassional power up to get hooked on your shot and sometimes stay in one spot for a long time? I saw this happen while trying out Super Star Soldier on Wii and thought that it was probably a bug.

Yes, that's completely normal and no bug at all. These power ups switch between the weapons (I - IV) or the missiles (S,M,F,H). As long as you shoot at them, the display weapon is on hold and you can get it if you want. However, if you keep shooting at it, it will eventually change into a blinker who clears the screen and gives you a continue which means you can restart from where you are once you die and don't have to go back to the last checkpoint. These blinkers exist in Super Star Soldier as well, with the same purpose.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

Keranu

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
Blinkers rule :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

elnino

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

elnino

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2007, 07:23:21 PM »
Blinkers rule :) .

Definitely! I always go down once I run out of them. :oops:
www.pcedaisakusen.net

esteban

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2007, 02:06:25 AM »
EDIT: I just got the trick to work. You're supposed to reset once the game crashes and then start a just game and you'll have invincibility. Select + Run wouldn't work, so I just used Magic Engine's reset feature to get it to work. Maybe on real hardware you need to quickly turn the power off and back on to do it.

I tested it on a CoreGrafx today and as I expected, it didn't work. After the game crashes I'm forced to power off the system but when I turn the power on again I'm still as vulnerable as always. :(
OK, do me a favor and try "Godhead" mode. It's awesome and maddening at the same time! Good fun :)
  |    | 

elnino

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:28 PM »
I tried the invincibility cheat on Gunhed again, this time with the 57 code and noticed that the system crashes differently. Instead of the green flickering screen you get an extremely loud beep while the screen remains black. The noise was so loud I nearly fell off the couch! Furthermore, it was already 12pm so I probably woke up all the people in my house #-o
Didn't get the cheat to work though :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net

elnino

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »
OK, do me a favor and try "Godhead" mode. It's awesome and maddening at the same time! Good fun :)

Mkay, just tell me how to access the Godhead mode then. :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

PhilBiker

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
OK.... revisiting this thread on my single favorite game of all time and the main reason I bought a TG-16 oh so many years ago....

Here's what I remember.

* The pink gells are the "slow" power up for whatever number weapon you have.  And they make an extremely satisfying "clink" when you collect them.  I tend to get them when I don't even need them.  Powering up your roman numeral weapon is the only function they serve.

* The changing powerups "I-II-III-IV" "F-M-S-H" stop changing when you shoot them, but if you let them go they start changing again.  If you are low in power you can use this to your advantage to either get the weapon you want or power up your existing weapon.  They turn into blinking meganukes that obliterate everything on the screen and give you a "continue".  There are two ways to convert them to flashers, either shoot them many times or let them drift to the bottom of the playfield.  I try to let them drift, that way I can use more strategy in timing their use.  I have no idea how many you can have in "reserve".

* When you power up a Letter powerup with the same letter (like getting multiple multibodies) yuo get a nuke (button I).  That's the only way to get more nukes, you can have up to 16 I think.  Some of the letters power up a lot.  The "Homing Missile" is one of my favorite.  If you can power it up enough, the missiles get fast and furious and you can just fly doging shots letting them pretty much take out everything.  I love the shot eating green multibodies also.  Do Shields and Full Fire do anything interesting if you get multiple?  I've never noticed, but I'm not a big fan of those, except shields during very specific points in the game.

* The select button changes your ship's speed.

I love the intricacies of the power-ups in this game and the things they do.  This made me dissapointed with "Super Star Soldier" which has no nukes and the changing powerups just dissapear at the bottom of the screen.

I think I tried invincibility mode once and have never tried it again.  No fun just flying through the levels. This is one of very few shumps that I've completed.

Unfortunately for me, BL was the first shoot-em-up that I ever really played extensively.  Kind of like becoming a basketball fan watching Michael Jordan or becoming a football fan watching Joe Montanna.  No other shumps I've ever played have been as good, and it's not just nostalgia saying that (though admittadly I haven't played a zillion other ones).  Blazing Lazers really does rule.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:58:29 AM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

runinruder

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »
No other shumps I've ever played have been as good, and it's not just nostalgia saying that (though admittadly I haven't played a zillion other ones).  Blazing Lazers really does rule.

Yeah, Blazing Lazers definitely rules, and I've played at LEAST a zillion other shooters.    :)  Have you played Spriggan, Phil?  I imagine you'd dig it if you love Lazers. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
Still no one who has played on the Godhead difficulty level?

No other shumps I've ever played have been as good, and it's not just nostalgia saying that (though admittadly I haven't played a zillion other ones).  Blazing Lazers really does rule.

Yeah, Blazing Lazers definitely rules, and I've played at LEAST a zillion other shooters.    :)  Have you played Spriggan, Phil?  I imagine you'd dig it if you love Lazers. 

Runin, surely you've played in BL's fantastic Godhead mode?
  |    | 

PhilBiker

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2007, 11:02:15 AM »
I have not played Spriggan, but I just looked it up on YouTube and Ebay.  Bad news for my wallet....  Looks good.....

I just ordered Axelay for my SNES.  I got the SNES to play multiplayer bomberman when my second TurboTap crapped out on me, and because Duo Madden football wasn't nearly as good as the SNES '94 game.  I want to get Space Megaforce but it's pretty expensive.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:32:52 AM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.