Author Topic: *drool*  (Read 1138 times)

MrFulci

Re: *drool*
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 06:18:11 AM »
I'm not sure when I received it. These flyers generally were not postmarked (Bulk rate). Sometimes, they were thrown in with an order I made. I think there may be one around here, that was done on plain white paper that may have been sent with a stamp, that one may have a postmark. Without a postmark, it's difficult for me to say exactly when I received these.

I discovered TZD, because I had a TG-16, and couldn't find anything in stores for it at the time (95? 96?). All I could do is scrounge yard sales, goodwill, store out of business sales. Used video game places had alaready cleared all their Turbo stuff out and were not stocking it. When a local chain (I think) named Evans went out of business, they must have had stuff buried in their storerooms, because they dragged out some Turbo Grafx stuff. Along with old toys, such as "Supernaturals". I still have a corkboard Pac-Man wall hanger. 2 of them. I bougth them for $0.25 a piece. Rough aroudn the edges, but the artwork is fine. I bought them to use as a dartboard, however upon getting them home I realized they were actually pretty nice, so I placed them in storage. Quite the awesome OOB sale. They must have never rearranged their storeroom considering some of the shit I saw them drag out. Such as 2 Odyssey systems! They also had about 100 copies of a Kungfu Brothers Nintendo game. Selling for $5 a piece or so.

Anyway, I saw their telephone number in a game magazine, (800-Duo-This). I called, and was pretty excited to find out stuff was still available. I think TZD put me on their mailing list on that phone call.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »
This was the final, or one of the final flyers I received from TZD. After that they either removed me from their mailing list, or stopped sending flyers.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:35:20 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

kenomac78

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »
thats a cool story! i found out about TZD in mid or late 94. i got a mailer out of the blue. i assume that they got my address from the turbografx warranty card i sent to NEC, or the workin designs newsletter. thats the only logical way that i can see them knowing it.

the first mailer i distinctly recall being huge with a letter of intent, in color, a listing of japanese games, and the arcade card,  but my memory could be  hazy.

im gad to see someone was able to handle the turbo's after life and give it decent suppor. especially in the days before everyone knew everything because of the internet.  its after life, thanks to tzd didnt suffer the fate of the  jaguar or 3do where many games were just destoryed because they werent moving.

MrFulci

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 07:47:33 AM »
Atari had a decent after support for their Jaguar. It was called, "Go Atari". I think this guy ran it out of his home office.

I had one Go Atari flyer, though that's in storage, unlike these TZD flyers. Go Atari's flyers were always on white paper (The ones that I saw), looked like from a Xerox.

nat

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
Wow, I totally remember that last flyer. I may still have it packed up in a box somewhere. It stands out because of the black and white "art" they used to advertise the specials. I remember thinking at the time it looked like something I would have done in school on a Mac Plus. Seeing it again after all these years, I can say my memory definitely hasn't done me wrong.

I got many flyers from them over the years. They got my address initially when I first called the TG16 game "hint" line. They sent me a Bonk's Adventure t-shirt. When TTi became TZD they started sending the flyers. I bought the Bonk 3 cartridge from them around the time period of those flyers when it was still $29.99. Sure glad I did! Although now, I wish I would have splurged for Magical Chase as well.

By the way, what the f*ck is wrong with the forum's lexicon that it doesn't know a word like "bonk"?

MrFulci

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
Another TZD Flyer. It's a bit rough in some places, but still in one piece.

Inside is a fold-out poster of sorts, featuring screenshots of games.

This one has a postmark on it. 14th December, 1995.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:40:29 AM by MrFulci »

thewestexit

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 11:48:19 AM »
I remember getting a flyer from them and ordering Ys IV... I already had a PS1 and Saturn by then but that game still blew me away =)
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

esteban

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 12:22:04 PM »
How did I miss this thread until today? Oh, I know, because this forum has inconsistent search results!

I remember these flyers. I had kept many of them, along with tons of random stuff for years, only to throw everything out during one of my many moves.

TZD was pretty good sending these out... even when I hadn't ordered for years, I still would get one every now and then.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 03:28:01 AM »
Thanks for posting these flyers MrFulci.  Now where's my flux capacitor?

@ stevek666 - Don't search the forum.  Read every thread, 'cause they're all gold.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MrFulci

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 01:46:26 PM »
More

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:30:44 AM by MrFulci »

offsidewing

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:56 AM »
I have a bunch stock pile of 3 or 4 different TZD catalogues, 5 or 6 Turbo Force & Turbo Play mags, a couple Turbo Hint books, and all kinds of Turbo mailers.  The coup degras is the free Lords of Thunder T-shirt mailer I still have.  I even have a cut-out, er, rip out, of a Duo-RX ad from the back of a Japanese magazine.  Most of it is in well loved condition, meaning at one point in my adolesence it was well obsessed over.  But most of it is in good shape to scan and post now. 

Is there are resource for Turbo Literature on this or any Turbo/PCE site??  I'd love to scan this stuff and have it stored somewhere for all of us to see!

Carbon Tiger

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 03:09:35 AM »
Boy threads like this make me sad I missed the TG 16 during it's run here in America. I only came on board much later after the fact. Buying these games in a store would have been awesome. Damn shame it didn't make it here in the USA given that it did have a great collection of games when you look at everything (Japan and America) made for it. 
My game collection at PCE Daisakusen
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/33/147/show-user.htm

kenomac78

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »
your right carbon tiger! it had a ton of potential and it is a shame it didnt catch on.  i think its a combination of these things: 1- most importantly it came out at a time when nintendo still had a monopoly going, and all 3rd partis were tied into nintendo on contracts that were locked in for years, and even high courts didnt do much to undo the strangle hold. 2- games were still not at the point of maturation where they are today, where its considered mainstream enterainment, not toys. it would have allowed games to come out here in their non-dumbed down state, jj and jeff being a prime tg16 example. 3- also anime had yet to make much of an imapct in america (though i was a fan of it back then!)  had adult swim existed in 1990 then  many of the game based on amine tv shows an movies would create a demand to bring them out here and increase demand for the system.  then of course theres just the  big mishandling that NEC did the entire time. its hard to say if the things i mention above not being in place would have changed how they did business.  but i think some might agree with me.

esteban

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 02:19:39 AM »
I have a bunch stock pile of 3 or 4 different TZD catalogues, 5 or 6 Turbo Force & Turbo Play mags, a couple Turbo Hint books, and all kinds of Turbo mailers.  The coup degras is the free Lords of Thunder T-shirt mailer I still have.  I even have a cut-out, er, rip out, of a Duo-RX ad from the back of a Japanese magazine.  Most of it is in well loved condition, meaning at one point in my adolesence it was well obsessed over.  But most of it is in good shape to scan and post now. 

Is there are resource for Turbo Literature on this or any Turbo/PCE site??  I'd love to scan this stuff and have it stored somewhere for all of us to see!
PM sent.
  |    | 

MrFulci

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:28:53 AM by MrFulci »