Author Topic: What's the deal with the Turbo/PCE video signal?  (Read 1131 times)

Tatsujin

Re: What's the deal with the Turbo/PCE video signal?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
you just face with the unaccountable world of electronic law :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 02:52:31 PM »
What exactly does artifact reduction do?  Is it the shimmering I see when it is standing still?

2X4

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »
I don't know as much as some of the people here, but if your system is modded and you don't have an rgb amp installed, your tv may not be able to sync.  Supposedly most tvs can, but, who knows.  And my money says that Chris is probably more on target since he seems to know a lot about this stuff (and other stuff).  I just hooked up my TG-16 to my new plasma and it looks fantastic just through the composite from my TG-CD.  I played Bonk's revenge and didn't notice any framerate problems.

I do wonder though, would it be possible to take the rgb mod and hack one of those DVI to HDMI converters and run your rgb wires to the DVI end of the converter and hook up your turbo via HDMI?  Like I said I ain't no wiz, but if someone knows if this is possible, it would be a real bonus for the apparently growing number of us with HDTVs.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

ccovell

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 12:45:49 AM »
What exactly does artifact reduction do?  Is it the shimmering I see when it is standing still?

Yes.  Most modern systems have artifact reduction.  The NES, SNES, and Turbo do as well.  Systems like the SMS, Genesis, and Neo-Geo do not.

Look at the top of this page for a short description of NTSC artifacts and what systems do to reduce it: http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/gotRGB/screenshots.html

Digi.k

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 03:06:17 AM »
Well i got my new TV yesterday its Toshiba 32" WLT66 for my bedroom.. I guess the image quality isnt too hot for pc engine but you definitely need to reduce the factory settings for contrast and the sharpness!!

I have a problem too although its different from Black_Tiger's.. you can see it from the video clip i took.

http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m113/secretsociety1/?action=view&current=tempparo.flv

As you can see the screen flashes randomly every few seconds which bugs me somewhat.  Although I don't know if its to do with the fact that I live in the UK and most tv's here are natively 50hz, but the pc engine is hooked up via composite and is 60hz.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:14:33 AM by Digi.k »

Black Tiger

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2007, 06:38:23 AM »
Thats messed up. Not being a super tech, I could only guess that it has something to do with it being a PAL TV as you mentioned... but isn't it a digital TV? If so, doesn't it support all kinds of different PAL & NTSC signals?.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 12:59:11 PM »
Aw man, don't stretch your image horizontally.  That looks soooooooooooo bad!

GUTS

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 01:13:03 PM »
Thats how my roommate watches TV on my wide screen, it bugs the shit out of me.  I'm like "doesn't it bother you that people all look fat and everything looks stupid?", and he just says he can't stand the black bars on the side.  Of course he can also watch full-screen movies so I guess some people are just hopeless.

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 01:56:40 PM »
Thats how my roommate watches TV on my wide screen, it bugs the shit out of me.  I'm like "doesn't it bother you that people all look fat and everything looks stupid?", and he just says he can't stand the black bars on the side.  Of course he can also watch full-screen movies so I guess some people are just hopeless.

I love it when people talk about "black bars", its never "the picture's too" small or anything, its always just those stupid black bars.

Years ago when I worked at a store that sold videos, it came up all the time. I explained to people how its actually full screen that has vertical "black bars", -the sides of the TV screen cutting off half the picture. And in most cases, you still got warped images and hokey smooth camera pans.

Then when widescreen TVs started to come out and were ridiculously overpriced, I'd warn those I could. But one day a lady came in bragging how a salesman at a local electroniccs chain just sold her a $3000 - $4000 widescreen TV. And how he told her that its the only way to get rid of the black bars.

I didn't have the heart to tell her than she could've bought a larger 4:3 TV that would've had at least the same size letterboxed viewing area as the widescreen's screen, but for a good $1000 less and wouldn't warp TV shows, -what most people watched on TVs at the time.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »

Of course he can also watch full-screen movies so I guess some people are just hopeless.

You mean "fool screen" (heh)?  Yeah, I simply can't stand unnaturally distorted images.  I'd rather have the bars on the side any day.  I think a large portion of society is hopeless.

esteban

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2007, 12:09:57 AM »
OK, I have a few questions for you folks (concerning Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" Plasma):

1. The manual to my TV warns that screen burn-in can occur if you watch 4:3 aspect mode (gray side bars introduced by tv). What's the deal with this? Do the manufacturer's simply assume folks will use "Justified" mode for standard tv? (On my tv, justified doesn't stretch out the middle of the screen too much, opting to stretch out the far -left and -right portions of the screen.)

2. I'm also worried about screen burn-in from playing video games that have static text / images displayed all the time (i.e. score). Now, I know that this sort of disclaimer was made even with standard CRT tv's, but I'm wondering if HDTV's are more susceptible. I really won't play games on the HDTV, but it would be fun to do it every once in a while (with PS2 and Xbox 360... though I have yet to try older consoles on it).

Here's an old thread. I learned a lot since then, but I'm still overly cautious!

Thanks in advance. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:25:56 AM by stevek666 »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 04:21:48 AM »
Yep, plasma's biggest drawback is burn in.  Manufacturers expect people to watch mostly widescreen content and only limited 4:3 content.  Minimize the chance of burn in by lowering the brightness and switching to full screen content periodically.  Many people think that LCDs are exempt from this type of problem, but they are dead wrong.  While it takes longer, LCDs suffer from similar image permanence problems.  Fortunately, they are usually not permenant and can be 'fixed'.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 06:56:47 AM »
Yep, plasma's biggest drawback is burn in.  Manufacturers expect people to watch mostly widescreen content and only limited 4:3 content.  Minimize the chance of burn in by lowering the brightness and switching to full screen content periodically.  Many people think that LCDs are exempt from this type of problem, but they are dead wrong.  While it takes longer, LCDs suffer from similar image permanence problems.  Fortunately, they are usually not permenant and can be 'fixed'.
Thanks for the scoop :).
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 07:22:10 AM »
The way I understood it when I bought my TV, was that Plasmas were strickly for watching movies and that LCDs, while not totally immune, were the only HDTV to consider for gaming. Otherwise I would've bought one of these giant Plasmas that keep plummeting in price.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »
Same here Black_Tiger; those plasmas have a damn fine picture for the price and are very tempting.  Does anybody 'round here run their Duo on a DLP set?  I'm curious to know if they can handle the awesome 16 bit power, er 8 bit, er whatever.  :wink:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles