Author Topic: What's the deal with the Turbo/PCE video signal?  (Read 1130 times)

Black Tiger

Re: What's the deal with the Turbo/PCE video signal?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 09:41:03 AM »
Same here Black_Tiger; those plasmas have a damn fine picture for the price and are very tempting.  Does anybody 'round here run their Duo on a DLP set?  I'm curious to know if they can handle the awesome 16 bit power, er 8 bit, er whatever.  :wink:

I have a DLP projector and Duo games look great(even at 90"), just like everything else. The picture doesn't look like its running through one of those ugly filters some emulators have.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

2X4

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2007, 10:18:36 AM »
DLPs look great, especially for old school games because they are essentially a high(er) tech CRT.  I will tell you what I learned during the research that led me to purchase my plasma. 

1)  burn-in, as has already been mentioned, can occur on any current type of tv.  newer tvs have built in counter-measures for this, and it isn't the inevitable pitfall that you hear about.

2) brightness loss (another alleged symptom of plasma tvs) over time also occurs with all current types of tvs.  At 6 hours of viewing a day, it will take at least 10 years to have a noticable loss of picture quality (and by then you'll probably want and be able to afford the next wave of display technology)

3)  When it comes to contrast, nothing can touch plasma.  black levels are better also, though lcd and dlp are closing the gap.

Necro, my best advice is to always look at the native resolution of the TV.  if you go with the highest progressive scan possible, (ideally 1080p, which isn't found on any42 inch or smaller tvs i have seen), and look at the aspect ratios available (most are 16:9 natively but can stretch to full screen, which looks terrible as others have said, but some tvs offer still other options for different input signals) look for an optional aspect ratio that is somewhere near 3:2 I believe that is what the turbo cranks out(?)  I hope that helps.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Jinzouki

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »
I had alot of the problems listed here some time ago (I made a thread about it in December or early January) I think I read S-Video modification wouldn't help much with playing a Duo on a HD LCD TV? :| I also did have a problem with random flashes in gameplay, my Sega CDX (aka Multi Mega) and it has the same problem and my TV is a Samsung (with "game" mode). Overall, what brand of lcd tvs would you guys say messes up classic games "least"? Widescreen Bonk looks wierd though Widescreen Space Harrier doesn't look that bad XD
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 10:37:49 AM by Jinzouki »

Digi.k

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2007, 06:14:57 AM »
hmm I think the problem lies with the pc engine cause I tried the Sega Saturn and japanese games run fine and 60 frames smooth too.