Author Topic: Games released on dual formats...  (Read 1864 times)

GUTS

Re: Games released on dual formats...
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 06:01:46 AM »
Well its not like there's a huge difference between all 3 versions, but I think the PCE version looks nicest and has the best sprites and floor scrolling.

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 06:23:19 AM »
I thought the PC Engine version of Street Fighter II turbo was better than the SNES & Genesis versions visually, but the music was kind of weak, like they just ran the arcade music through a program that converted it to PCE chip music instead of recomposing it for the system.  It definitely plays awesome with a 6 button pad.

Although Capcom clearly didn't take the time to polish up the tunes to make them sound as nice as they could've (just as they didn't bother to take the time to program in some seperate scrolling bg's), I think that the PC Engine's soundtrack is probably the best overall, because it's such a seemingly straight port of the original music.

I'm talking the actual music/composition/whatever, not simply to types of 'instruments' used for each channel. I didn't necessarily think so before I recorded the PCE & MD soundtracks and sampled the arcade and SFC soundtracks.

Although its sometimes nice to have crazy sounding electro instruments pounding out game music, even parts of the arcade soundtrack don't sound as good musically because of the sounds used for some sections.

But all 3 versions of SFII (SFC, MD, PCE) have the line scrolling on the floor.  What made you think they didn't?
how the linescrolling shows up :D

I don't know if you mean the seperate scrolling bg's or the warping floors, but there not really much difference in the 'quality' of the warping floors that anyone would notice while playing(if there is any difference at all). Its not like the SNES or arcade versions used Mode 7 foor the floors.

But I also don't think that the 3DO SSFIIT looks worse than the SNES SSFII just because it has static bg's.

One thing the PCE version definitely does do better than the Genesis/SNES versions is the sfx/voice samples.

And the PCE version plays great even with a 2 button pad.  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 06:30:44 AM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
I don't know if you mean the seperate scrolling bg's or the warping floors, but there not really much difference in the 'quality' of the warping floors that anyone would notice while playing(if there is any difference at all). Its not like the SNES or arcade versions used Mode 7 foor the floors.

But I also don't think that the 3DO SSFIIT looks worse than the SNES SSFII just because it has static bg's.

One thing the PCE version definitely does do better than the Genesis/SNES versions is the sfx/voice samples.

the linescrolling of course is the warping floor in your words. and i'm certainly sure that the SFC version looks much smoother and regulary than the other pendants. and about the sfx/voice samples, i have to compare those two versions again, but i never had the impression that the SFC SFII sounds bad in any kind of audio aspects :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 01:53:19 PM »

the linescrolling of course is the warping floor in your words. and i'm certainly sure that the SFC version looks much smoother and regulary than the other pendants. and about the sfx/voice samples, i have to compare those two versions again, but i never had the impression that the SFC SFII sounds bad in any kind of audio aspects :)

The SFC SFII games have great voice/sfx. The PCE versions are just a little better and I belive that the PCE version has a few more than at least SFC SFII WW.

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 02:14:10 PM »
Although Capcom clearly didn't take the time to polish up the tunes to make them sound as nice as they could've (just as they didn't bother to take the time to program in some seperate scrolling bg's), I think that the PC Engine's soundtrack is probably the best overall, because it's such a seemingly straight port of the original music.
Agreed. Even though the Genesis version of Championship edition seems to add more instruments and what not in some songs, I found the PCE version to have the best soundtrack of the Genesis and SNES.

Another cool thing about the PCE version I noticed is that you can't throw people immediately after doing a Psycho Crusher with M. Bison, that is if the opponent blocked the attack. I would have to test this out in the arcade verison, but I know that you can do that cheap throw in Super for Geneis (and arcade as well I believe). I tried this out on different versions before, but I can't remember the results.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »
Quote from: SignOfZeta

The same thing happened on Sega CD with stuff like Sol Feace/Sol Deace

Well, yes and no.  The CD version of Sol Feace, Earnest Evans and Heavy Nova came out in Japan before the cartridge versions existed (which were only released in the US).  The CD versions were only released in Japan (with the exception of Sol Feces).

Quote from: SignOfZeta

I don't find these choices to be puzzling at all. I would have bought with out hesitation ... on the Sega CD, CDROM versions of The Adventures of Batman and Robin

There was a Sega CD version of "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" made by the same development team that did the Genesis version.  They just changed the entire game into a scaling/rotating driving game which was every bit as hard.

Quote from: ?????

I like da music on da CD version of R-Type Compleet it iz teh gud!

The music from the R-Type Special album BLOWS AWAY R-Type Complete.   It totally anal-rapes it and leaves it bleeding in the rain while passers-by point and laugh at it.

Quote from: Mr. Line Scroll

Teh line scrollz on teh snesxorz r teh best!!!1!!

I don't think so.  I am a huge fan of line scrolls and have a Phd in line scrolls from Harvard.  There really isn't much difference in the line scrolls on the 3 versions of Street Fighter II (I refuse to put the apostrophe after the "II" because that is just gay).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:09:27 PM by Joe Redifer »

Keranu

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
There was a Sega CD version of "The Adventures of Batman and Robin" made by the same development team that did the Genesis version.  They just changed the entire game into a scaling/rotating driving game which was every bit as hard.
Oh good so I'm not the only person who found that game to be hard as shit!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 06:20:24 PM »
They do that on purpose... that way they don't need to make as many levels since nobody could possibly ever see them all.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »
I don't know if this counts, but Brandish is a Super CD-ROM2 and Arcade Card

esteban

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 01:58:04 AM »
I thought the PC Engine version of Street Fighter II turbo was better than the SNES & Genesis versions visually, but the music was kind of weak, like they just ran the arcade music through a program that converted it to PCE chip music instead of recomposing it for the system.  It definitely plays awesome with a 6 button pad.

I'm talking the actual music/composition/whatever, not simply to types of 'instruments' used for each channel. I didn't necessarily think so before I recorded the PCE & MD soundtracks and sampled the arcade and SFC soundtracks.

Although its sometimes nice to have crazy sounding electro instruments pounding out game music, even parts of the arcade soundtrack don't sound as good musically because of the sounds used for some sections.
OK, I'm being lazy here, but is there a sound test for SFII PCE? I don't remember buying it, but somehow I recently got the HuCard and this thread got me curious about the music.

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 06:53:38 AM »
OK, I'm being lazy here, but is there a sound test for SFII PCE? I don't remember buying it, but somehow I recently got the HuCard and this thread got me curious about the music.

I didn't have a discman other than my Turbo CD when I left on a 7 day road trip the same day SFIICE arrived in the mail. So when I took breaks from trying to beat the game on the highest difficulty without losing a round to possibly open up Turbo mode or something, I listened to the soundtracks of SFIICE and Dungeon Explorer to pass the time.

If you're still feeling lazy, you can just listen to the soundtrack on mp3 I recorded off of real actual hardware-
http://superpcenginegrafx.com/worldwarrior.mp3

I've also got a bunch more under the Music section of my site. I believe that the SFIICE mp3 is the old one that I forgot to add the post match music to. I've been too lazy to find the re-edited one and convert and upload it, so i'll have to do for now.  :wink:

Keranu

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 06:53:52 AM »
Yes there is.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 08:32:28 AM »
bikkuriman daijikai is a complete different game and only based on the bikkuriman theme. nothing to do with the wonderboy in monsterland clone ;)

OMG, how i wished a CD version of Street fighter II' as well or even better a Turbo SF II. using ACD technology on the grafical level of a Garou densetsu special. it would kick the SFC's ass directly to hell.

Screw that, how about some expert homebrewers whip us up some ACD Street Fighter Alpha 3?  :P

As stupid as this sounds,I would actually like to see Mortal Kombat 1 ported over,just to see how it would look and run with a Arcade card Pro. One of the Alphas would be great too. I think the problem here would be these projects would be huge,so i don't expect anyone to undertake this pressure driven madness.

esteban

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »

I didn't have a discman other than my Turbo CD when I left on a 7 day road trip the same day SFIICE arrived in the mail. So when I took breaks from trying to beat the game on the highest difficulty without losing a round to possibly open up Turbo mode or something, I listened to the soundtracks of SFIICE and Dungeon Explorer to pass the time.

If you're still feeling lazy, you can just listen to the soundtrack on mp3 I recorded off of real actual hardware-

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/worldwarrior.mp3

I've also got a bunch more under the Music section of my site. I believe that the SFIICE mp3 is the old one that I forgot to add the post match music to. I've been too lazy to find the re-edited one and convert and upload it, so i'll have to do for now.  :wink:
Ha! Perfect. I'm listening to your mp3 as I type this. I haven't played any of my consoles since I moved (July / August 2006!) because I can't find the box with all of my AC/DC adapters.

I love DE chiptunes... I could listen to them all day. SFII, on the other hand...
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 12:12:27 PM »
As stupid as this sounds,I would actually like to see Mortal Kombat 1 ported over,just to see how it would look and run with a Arcade card Pro. One of the Alphas would be great too. I think the problem here would be these projects would be huge,so i don't expect anyone to undertake this pressure driven madness.

Crazy hombrewers putting out stuff like this gives me hope-

http://sega-16.com/Hacks%20Homebrews-%20Top%20Fighter%202000.php

Well its not like there's a huge difference between all 3 versions, but I think the PCE version looks nicest and has the best sprites and floor scrolling.

I think that the Genesis version looks amazing and very colorful, considering it's supposed color limitations. Especially compared to the initial straight port Capcom did. On an old TV back in the day, it basically looked as good as the other 2 versions, only a little blurry.

What I don't like about the Genesis version is all the little details that are a little off. I like the sound of parts of the music better than the other versions, but its too much of a mixed bag overall.

I think that SSFII SNES is underrated and it was retarded of game mags back then to trash it as offering 'nothing new', while they praised MKII & III and had no problem earlier with the true minor update of SFII Turbo.

I'd still really like to see a PCE port of SSFII.

What made/makes SFIICE on PCE so special, is that particularly back in the day, the pros told us it was impossible and that any form of SFII on PCE would at best be severely flawed visually and aurally, because the TG-16 is so terrible.

And even though Capcom couldn't be bothered to publish it themselves, their seemingly rushed port at the very least holds its own with the other versions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:29:21 PM by Black_Tiger »