Author Topic: TG 16 what happens next?  (Read 890 times)

hindsr1976

TG 16 what happens next?
« on: February 18, 2007, 08:49:59 AM »
Hi,
I am looking for every ones thoughts on what you think is going to happen with the Turbo Grafx 16 next. The reason behind this is that I have been talking to several people and they agree with me that with the Wii re-releasing the TG line up it could either drop the TG market off or it could make it jump to insane prices.
Any thought?
Thanks
Rob

ParanoiaDragon

Re: TG 16 what happens next?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:15:04 AM »
Well, I say it's a possibility that it could raise the prices, only because maybe people that are now getting into it, will possibly want the real hardware, but, it's really hard to say.

FM-77

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »
You wanna know what's gonna happen? I'll tell you what's gonna happen - nothing's gonna happen, that's what!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 12:10:47 PM »
You mean they're not going to release the TurboGrafx-16 2?

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »
You mean they're not going to release the TurboGrafx-16 2?
I was hoping for something like this too :( . Perhaps a TurboGrafx-32?

I'm no expert in business at all, so I doubt anything I say about this is correct at all. I think it's possible the price for real Turbo games could drop if the Virtual Console releases all format of Turbo games; Japanese, third party, CD, etc... and even more so if they translated any Japanese games. But it also might be possible that if they keep going the way they're going by only releasing American Turbo Chip games, then maybe the prices will go up because the new consumers will want more.

Who knows though? :P
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:03:34 PM »
I'm just glad that hudson and NEC didn't go with that horrific idea of putting Numbers after Games based on the crappy name of a console. 

Just imagine if our classic games were titled- Legendary Axe-16, or bonk-16.  Then they could have made the TurboGrafx-64.  And so on and so forth.  Thats like when Sega released the Sega CD and started doing that with those games- Sonic CD, Final Fight CD. 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 02:08:46 PM »
TurboGrafx-360!  Hell yeah!

Trivia:  Xbox 360 was called that just so it could have a "3" in the name to compete with the PlayStation 3, which also has a 3 in it's name.  We Americans are smart when it comes to marketing.  God damn genius!   :roll:

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »
but they're also liars. it should be a 2 instead of a 3! even a first grader should know that!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
I want to see raw data on the number of TG-16 downloads for Wii, how many users have purchased at least one, etc.

Then I'd be in a better position to speculate. If millions upon millions of gamers download several TG-16 games apiece... well, I think that could have some real impact on the TG-16 scene. Otherwise, I don't think Wii will have much impact... other than increasing overall  awareness of the console & perhaps inspiring a few more folks to dabble with real hardware and software.

Then again, I don't know what the f*ck I'm talking about :).
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 04:48:27 PM »
for me i noticed a big increase of interest concerning pc engine games in europe, since every wii user (with net access) can easily DL the good ol' games for cheap they may be never could play back in the days when they where popular. as many of you know, the pc engine was never released in europa officially, therefore only a small amount of people could get into the facinating world of NEC gaming. this may change now and many of the meanwhile elder people can finally join this world legally and without paying a small fortune. in our german language forums as well as here, the request for good pce soft-recommendations is higher than ever before.

if this all will have an impact to the prices for original soft, i really don't know. but since most of the people collecting those stuff rather than just playing it, i think there won't be a big drop.

www.pcedaisakusen.net

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »
I don't think there are even millions upon millions of Wii owners yet.  And many (like me) refuse to support wireless internet until Nintendo comes out with their USB to Ethernet adapter currently scheduled for release in November of 2152.  I think the Turbo/PC Engine has more systems sold so far.

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »
but one thing is for very sure. there're already ten times more wii users in europe as there ever were pce user before!
www.pcedaisakusen.net

esteban

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »
Good points about how the Wii might affect the European / UK scenes, Tatsujin.

but one thing is for very sure. there're already ten times more wii users in europe as there ever were pce user before!
Yes, Wii will certainly help increasing the awareness of TG-16/PCE ... but of those folks who download a game, how many will simply regard the console as  a novelty?

I think a lot of people will see TG-16/PCE as more of a novelty, and not an area that warrants further exploration (aside from some superficial dabbling). I think this will become increasingly apparent when the mega-hit games become available in VC... poor TG-16 will face stiff competition (just as it did back in the day) against the blockbuster games.

But, I'm being pessimistic here :).
  |    | 

Odonadon

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »

Yes, Wii will certainly help increasing the awareness of TG-16/PCE ... but of those folks who download a game, how many will simply regard the console as  a novelty?

I think a lot of people will see TG-16/PCE as more of a novelty, and not an area that warrants further exploration (aside from some superficial dabbling). I think this will become increasingly apparent when the mega-hit games become available in VC... poor TG-16 will face stiff competition (just as it did back in the day) against the blockbuster games.

Me too, I agree 100% :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »

The TG-16 may have faced stiff competition back in the day, when it cost $200 for someone to try a game on a different console. But on the VC, the hardware barriers no longer exist and people are free to buy good TG-16 games as they are released for prices close to NES titles than Gen/SNES.

The important thing, wiill be for quality games to be released. I think that Hudson should start putting out good PCE titles after they run through the good TG-16 games instead of slipping in below average games. At the very least, each time they put something like Victory Run, Vigilante or Motoroader, at least one other more universally accessible TG-16 game should accompany it.`

Otherwise, the VC TG-16 could earn a rep for mediocre games and lead some people to not pay enough attention to new releases of what could be real gems.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum