Author Topic: TG 16 what happens next?  (Read 893 times)

vestcoat

Re: TG 16 what happens next?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »
I think anything that raises awareness of our already rare and expensive vintage console will only make prices worse (drive them up).  We're already seeing rich young whippersnappers buying up 8-bit NES games.  I think people who are attracted to the NEC consoles like getting their hands on actual games while mainstream players are more content to pirate software.  The VC certainly isn't going to make the TG/PCE more obscure; so I think it will slightly increase the speed of what we're already seeing--hardware becoming very expensive and some of the rarest games games getting further out of my price range.

esteban

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 01:30:19 AM »
I just thought of something: Hudson Ent. is operated as its own business, and to remain viable, they need to succeed in the North American market and do not benefit (directly) from the success Hudson Japan might be experiencing. Correct? Usually, this is the case, and one of the main reasons that games are region locked (i.e. so one division's profits aren't hurt by imports of another division's product).

If this accurately describes Hudson Ent., then do they have an incentive to release any Japanese-only games? Does Hudson Ent. have rights to the entire PCE catalog? Or do we have a situation that echoes earlier days, where Hudson Japan will "sell" Hudson Ent. services and products?

I have no idea, but it sure would be interesting to know.   

------------------- I kind of just ramble on and on in the next bit, sorry ---------------

Well, I think B_T made a valid point when he said that competition of software in the real world vs. the virtual world is somewhat different (i.e. no additional hardware costs).

However, I fear that most folks will be interested in the Top 40 games of yesteryear (the same phenomenon occurs in literature, films and music), leaving a HUGE library of potentially interesting stuff "ignored". I'm not saying this is necessarily bad (at least some folks are interested in the older stuff), but I am arguing that most folks have a very narrow view of the past. In other words, lots of folks will be overwhelmed by all the choices in the Top 40 mega-hits of yesteryear, which never allows them to break free and really explore.

This isn't merely determined by money, but by time. Except for lucky little kids, we don't have much free time. I think someone already pointed out that folks tend to choose things that they think will be a worthwhile use of their time.

So, the playing field betweeen TG-16, SNES, N64, Genny & company is not levelled by the price of a download... TG-16 is battling its own obscurity. Folks know about Adventure Island, Bomberman and R-Type... but how many folks will gamble on Veigues? Chew Man Fu?

I think that there will always be a small minority of gamers who are adventurous and will explore the "obscure" world of TG-16. They're curious, they're intrigued.

But most folks will dabble... and I don't think dabbling will make too much impact. Hey, I've dabbled with the Xbox, PS2 and XBox 360 libraries. I've sampled lots of games, but I've only finished a handful of them.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »
I just thought of something: Hudson Ent. is operated as its own business, and to remain viable, they need to succeed in the North American market and do not benefit (directly) from the success Hudson Japan might be experiencing. Correct? Usually, this is the case, and one of the main reasons that games are region locked (i.e. so one division's profits aren't hurt by imports of another divsion's product).

If this accurately describes Hudson Ent., then do they have an incentive to release any Japanese-only games? Does Hudson Ent. have rights to the entire PCE catalog? Or do we have a situation that echoes earlier days, where Hudson Japan will "sell" Hudson Ent. services and products?

I have no idea, but it sure would be interesting to know.

I assume that Hudson Soft Japan owns Hudson Entertainment, if HE even does put VC games out and is not just a PR machine for Hudson Japan, and Konami owns Hudson and in the end collects all the profit. No matter what happens where, it all funnels back to the same place. So all that matters in the end is for each division to make as much money as possible.

Just as with real actual consoles, region locking is just a method to control the release of titles in each region. I can't see any way that PCE VC titles being sold outside of Japan would hurt the Japan market at all, let alone if they were released some time later on. Unlike with real consoles though, a gamer can't import a single title to play on their unmodified or slightly modified console.

Well, I think B_T made a valid point when he said that competition of software in the real world vs. the virtual world is somewhat different (i.e. no additional hardware costs).

However, I fear that most folks will be interested in the Top 40 games of yesteryear (the same phenomenon occurs in literature, films and music), leaving a HUGE library of potentially interesting stuff "ignored". I'm not saying this is necessarily bad (at least some folks are interested in the older stuff), but I am arguing that most folks have a very narrow view of the past. In other words, lots of folks will be overwhelmed by all the choices in the Top 40 mega-hits of yesteryear, which never allows them to break free and really explore.

This isn't merely determined by money, but by time. Except for lucky little kids, we don't have much free time. I think someone already pointed out that folks tend to choose things that they think will be a worthwhile use of their time.

We're living in a day and age where the crappiest low rated non-cult TV series can be released on dvd and still be a profitable enough venture for studios to continue to do it, mainly because of the low cost of dvd content production and manufacturing. As low risk as that is, there's no way that emulating and possibly translating a PCE game would even come close and there's no manufacturing or distribution to worry about.

Today's gaming market, especially with the PS3 & 360, now consists of big stakes gambling. Relatively low cost low risk stuff like the VC/XBLA/etc has got to be very attractive to the companies lucky enough to have a classic games to re-release. They don't even have to develop a new character or gameplay, only rehash an existing product. And just like the current console market, you don't have to compete with the top companies to make a worthwhile profit.

If the TG-16 VC makes money for Hudson, then its in their best interest to continue to bring out more games. However good or bad the Gen/SNES VC titles do doesn't matter as long as the TG-16 VC format makes enough money.

So, the playing field betweeen TG-16, SNES, N64, Genny & company is not levelled by the price of a download... TG-16 is battling its own obscurity. Folks know about Adventure Island, Bomberman and R-Type... but how many folks will gamble on Veigues? Chew Man Fu?

I think that there will always be a small minority of gamers who are adventurous and will explore the "obscure" world of TG-16. They're curious, they're intrigued.

But most folks will dabble... and I don't think dabbling will make too much impact. Hey, I've dabbled with the Xbox, PS2 and XBox 360 libraries. I've sampled lots of games, but I've only finished a handful of them.

Even dabbling should be enough to make Hudson money, since it costs eff all to put out VC titles. Just as game and video rentals are a worthwhile business. Download services like the VC, XBLA & PS3-PS1-PSP are just a way of cutting out the middle man. I don't its in the best interest of the consumer, since we're getting ripped by the prices, but it certainly looks profitable for the game publishers.

Obscure TG-16 titles will probably at least sell well enough overall to be worthwhile, but it would be in Hudson's best interest to stick to above average more accessible games, which would run through the TG-16's catalogue a lot sooner and make bringing over PCE VC games all the more important.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Mr Bonk

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 11:44:30 AM »
Bring back Bravoman!  lol
If the government gets up your nose, then picket!

esteban

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »
I like all the stuff you said, B_T. The only point I want to push at this point is that translating any RPG is highly unlikely, because I don't think Hudson would expect a worthwhile return on investment. I hope I'm wrong, of course. And, I would love it if games were released without even translating the text.

If Hudson was smart, they'd translate Photograph Boy! No censorship! It won't happen, but, damn, that would be great. I've only played the game in an emulator, but it's a fun, quirky game that won't be found on famicom or megadrive.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
Photograph Boy is a brilliant game!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 02:43:37 AM »
Photograph Boy would be a great release.  It would be a nice lead in for a new version using the Wii controller (as an actual Wii game or as new downloadable content when available).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Odonadon

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 03:45:45 AM »
Photograph Boy would be a great release.  It would be a nice lead in for a new version using the Wii controller (as an actual Wii game or as new downloadable content when available).

Well, don't hold your breath for Photograph Boy but stay tuned for Pokemon Snap Wii :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 04:02:06 AM »
Well, don't hold your breath for Photograph Boy but stay tuned for Pokemon Snap Wii :)

OD

Yeah, I hear ya - wish in one hand and crap in the other.  I was hoping for some naughty fun, not some goofy pics of little lame animals.   :(
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 05:18:57 AM »
Photograph Boy on Wii would be awesome. A DS version would work out well too.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »
Photograph Boy on Wii would be awesome. A DS version would work out well too.

It should come with a camera shaped attachment with a lens view equal to the collision area on the screen of your shots, and the zoom button could zoom the entire screen's view, so the camera attachment's view would remain accurate.

You know, so you wouldn't miss a shot of a cross dresser or alien abductions.  :wink:

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:10 AM »
I like all the stuff you said, B_T. The only point I want to push at this point is that translating any RPG is highly unlikely, because I don't think Hudson would expect a worthwhile return on investment. I hope I'm wrong, of course. And, I would love it if games were released without even translating the text.

If Hudson was smart, they'd translate Photograph Boy! No censorship! It won't happen, but, damn, that would be great. I've only played the game in an emulator, but it's a fun, quirky game that won't be found on famicom or megadrive.

There aren't many HuCard RPGs anyway. I'll be happy if we get to see any PC Engine games on our VC.  :)

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 10:18:54 AM »
You know, so you wouldn't miss a shot of a cross dresser or alien abductions.  :wink:
Or Michael Jackson  8) .

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 04:28:47 PM »
Or Michael Jackson  8) .

Sorry, I should've said "child abduction by an alien".  :wink: