Author Topic: Bloody Wolf!  (Read 466 times)

MotoRoaderMike

Bloody Wolf!
« on: March 03, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »
I just played this game for the first time ever (I downloaded the TG16 ROM, and the original arcade version ROM sets). I had no idea that Data East made Turbo titles! I happen to be a modest Data East fan. They've made a few good games, and a few bad games, it's sorta like neck and neck. Anyway, I'm so anxious to own this game now. It's so awesome. A description I read said it was like Contra, but I think's more like Ikari Warriors and games like that, only you can jump in it. What other TG16 titles did Data East make? Which ones were released in the USA?

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

grahf

Re: Bloody Wolf!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:35:57 AM »
Its a great game. I used to hate dataeast after a few dissapointing NES games, but had a change of heart after playing this one. On the surface its kinda generic feeling at first, but it has -just- enough variety in it to keep it fun the entire way through. Everyone should own this hucard.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:01:11 AM »
Depends,as alot of their titles were released on alot of platforms,or in the arcade. Desert Assault is part 2 of Bloody Wolf,but it was only in arcades.

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
Bloody Wolf plays NOTHING like Contra. Whoever wrote that description needs to be strung up by the earlobes.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 03:05:03 PM »
Bloody Wolf plays NOTHING like Contra. Whoever wrote that description needs to be strung up by the earlobes.

As far as modern pro game mag/site comparisons go, Contra might as well be the same game(at least they both have two heroes who shoot guns at bad guys).  :wink:

Like how anything 2D, no matter how high the resolution or how many millions of colors or how much realtime 3D is mixed in... it's all "SNES graphics".  :lol:

But yeah, Bloody Wolf kicks major ass, shouldn't be compared to anything and is one of my favorite games.  8)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 08:11:38 PM »
I kind of compare it & Last Alert, though you can't jump in Last Alert, the gameplay is closer, then to Contra.  And both are wonderful games for different reasons! 

sunteam_paul

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:46 AM »
Data East PCE Titles:

Bloody Wolf
Override
Winning Shot (Golf)
Silent Debuggers
Drop Rock Hora Hora
Makai Hakkenden Shada

I think that's most of them.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
Everytime I think about this game, I get bad memories of one of my rare moments of extreme game rage with that Generalissimo boss.

I nearly wrecked my room out of pure anger on Bloody Wolf's final boss, 200 tries in an hour. That beefcake is straight up unpredicatable and gets free easy one hit kills with that "atomic laser cannon", he fires in many random direction, so he leaves you guessing. Not to mention it takes forever just knock off one block of his energy with that itty pitty standard gun
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 05:34:56 AM by Ninja Spirit »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 08:48:41 AM »
Everytime I think about this game, I get bad memories of one of my rare moments of extreme game rage with that Generalissimo boss.

I nearly wrecked my room out of pure anger on Bloody Wolf's final boss, 200 tries in an hour. That beefcake is straight up unpredicatable and gets free easy one hit kills with that "atomic laser cannon", he fires in many random direction, so he leaves you guessing. Not to mention it takes forever just knock off one block of his energy with that itty pitty standard gun

I beat him on the third try.....

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »

It may be tough at first, but he really does have patterns and is easy once you figure it out.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »
That guy was a bitch to figure out.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

hindsr1976

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 02:18:56 AM »
When I first played the game I thought it sucked but after a while it grew on me just like Last Alert, but after a while they both rock.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 03:13:13 AM »

It may be tough at first, but he really does have patterns and is easy once you figure it out.
Agreed,and just think,after you beat the game,watch the credits and get the speed code,beat it again using that code to get the second one so you can hover you will then be able to hover around like a god.
It really evens the odds alot,esp with the helicopter,tank,and final boss.

Kaminari

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 11:10:31 AM »
Interestingly, the arcade PCB is essentially a PC Engine with a YM2203 and a PCM chipset. That's why the PCE port is almost identical to the original version (ironically, I find the PCE tunes better than the FM ones).

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 12:05:46 PM »
Interestingly, the arcade PCB is essentially a PC Engine with a YM2203 and a PCM chipset. That's why the PCE port is almost identical to the original version (ironically, I find the PCE tunes better than the FM ones).

The PC Engine version also has a smoother frame rate, but is missing the voice samples.