Author Topic: Godzilla  (Read 198 times)

vestcoat

Godzilla
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
I spent some playing Godzilla today and I have to say it kicks ass.  It came in the mail a couple weeks ago but I got pissed off because I tried to play two-player with my girlfriend and realized that you have to unlock almost all of the monsters in one-player mode first.  I thought, WTF?  This game was made in ‘93; games didn't force you to unlock features in '93!  Crap like that is one of the reasons I don't play the current systems.
Anyway, I finally sat down "just to unlock some monsters" today and ended up playing for about an hour and a half.
Godzilla did some weird things I haven't seen in other fighting games.  One example is the plant monster Biollante; I don't think I've ever seen an immobile character in a versus game like this before.
And what's the story with the little flying saucer boss, Super Xll?!?  This thing almost kicked my ass when we first squared off.  My life bar was almost gone but I managed to turn the tide after I realized I was about to get my ass kicked by a glorified Frisbee.

I think the music and graphics are very good throughout.  The play control is an acquired taste but the badass monsters make up for it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Godzilla
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »
Glad to hear someone giving Godzilla some love.  It's been a while, but I've spent a lot of time kicking monster ass and enjoying every minute of it.  Unfortunately, I can't get my score up high enough to unlock the last one or two monsters.  Have you been able to unlock all of them yet?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:28:12 AM »
I always wanted to play this game. I loved the first one on Nes,and the Dreamcast Godzilla and the Gamecube one too. I know alot of people hated it but I also liked Ultraman TTF for SNES.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 03:18:37 AM »
I've wanted to play this game... but since I'm not particularly fond of the genre, it's always been at the bottom of my list. Of course, for precisely those reasons, Godzilla is a complete enigma to me! Plus, I think I'd have a lot more fun with Godzilla as opposed to John Madden SCD (another game that sits at the bottom of my want list).

Can you button-mash through the game? What's the music like? You must tell me now :).
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:10:54 AM »
The AI isn't very aggressive, so you don't have to go crazy pushing buttons just to land a few hits.  Most of the enemies aren't very difficult, as long as you play pretty defensively.  But this won't yield a very high score, and the final score determines which monster you fight last (out of eight, I think).  Trying to unlock all of the beasties provides a little extra replay value.

The music ain't bad, but it's nothing to drool over either.  The music may not be memorable, but I do recall that it has nice samples of the different creatures growls, screeches, and whatnot.  I don't know if they are accurate when compared to the movies, but they fit nicely.

Has anybody determined the point behind being able to unleash Godzilla's roar?  I could pull it off regularly in a versus game, but almost never when playing the computer.  I always hoped that it would uncover some hidden level or something, but I never found anything.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles