Author Topic: Should I open it?  (Read 1396 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Should I open it?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 09:01:08 AM »
Be wary of open shelving - U.V. will ruin just about anything over time.  Direct sunlight is obviously the worst, but with low-emissivity coatings becoming more and more common in windows, it isn't as bad as it once was.  Fluorescent lights (and incandescent lights to a lesser extent) provide more than enough U.V. to eventually cause discoloration; and nobody wants a yellow PC Engine or yellow game cases.  I hope to one day build some barrister bookcases with anti-U.V. laminate glass in the doors so that I can proudly display my meager Turbo collection and not have to worry about fading or discoloration.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »
Aha. Fortunately, I don't live in the future, so I should be good. I've had unsealed games on my shelves for over fifteen years. They're still in perfect condition. Actually, I think the colors have actually gotten more saturated during the years. Honest.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
Why not just put the stuff in a bookshelf? They won't melt, there's no need to put them in plastic bags.

Well, I think it has something to do with toilet training.

But seriously, if you keep all your CDs in baggies then the clear plastic won't get dull, and they will be crystal clear for a lifetime. It also probably means you are f*cking insane though, and probably have the skins of children drying in your attic.

2X4

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 11:05:43 AM »
It puts the rubbing alcohol on the contacts! It does what it's told or it goes back in the baggy again! :x
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

FM-77

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 11:41:07 AM »
Man, if it weren't for SignOfZeta, Joe Redifer and Necromancer, this board would be pretty dull! :D

takashirose

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 02:24:59 PM »
No not insane.  Some of my games are in a closet shelf that I could access easily when it is open and the rest are in a cabinet with Scooby Doo wrapping paper covering the glass.  It's the best I can do.  I'm just telling you how I store things.  I also put towels over my system so that they can be slightly shielded from small things falling on it, like pencils or remotes, and not getting dusty.
Let the old mix with the new.

vestcoat

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 08:21:19 AM »
No not insane.  Some of my games are in a closet shelf that I could access easily when it is open and the rest are in a cabinet with Scooby Doo wrapping paper covering the glass.  It's the best I can do.  I'm just telling you how I store things.  I also put towels over my system so that they can be slightly shielded from small things falling on it, like pencils or remotes, and not getting dusty.

Yeah, I keep a towel over my SGX, otherwise the slanty hucard port acts as a dust funnel.

takashirose

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 09:10:10 AM »
I actually used to like dust on my systems, but I found the towels to cushion any falling objects that people might have and keep the dust off, which as I grew did not like because it might stick and be there for a long time.  But yes it is a good idea for you to cover your SuperGrafx.  Too bad it didn't have a cover like the Duos.  But I cover them all regardless of rarity.
Let the old mix with the new.

offsidewing

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 06:40:55 AM »
I have a sealed copy of Blazing Lazers.  I bought a used one so I would stop thinking about opening it.

I also have Final Lap Twin and CF2 (US) sealed.

shubibiman

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 06:44:23 AM »
There are so many used games out there, why open the new ones?
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

nat

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 06:55:19 AM »
I, too, have a sealed copy of Blazing Lazers. The value of yours just went down, offsidewing!!!  :wink:

I also have a sealed copy of Fatal Fury 2.

Whee!

offsidewing

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 07:42:53 AM »
I, too, have a sealed copy of Blazing Lazers. The value of yours just went down, offsidewing!!!  :wink:

I also have a sealed copy of Fatal Fury 2.

Whee!

[-X  It's monitary cost in no way indicates it's value to me (lest I quote Oscar Wilde).

MrFulci

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 10:33:21 AM »
The only sealed game I own is Spaltterhouse. Reason for that, is that it was the game came packed with my Turbo Duo system. It sits in the Turbo Duo system box at the moment.

I nearly forgot, I also have a sealed copy of TV Sports Basketball. Reason for that, is I bought a sealed copy, and sold off my worn copy. I've not had the itch to play the game since acquiring it, so it stays sealed. Eventually I'll open it, that also is currently packed away in my, box of turbo grafx game boxes.

I open sealed games, because to me it is a bit pointless to have a sealed game sitting around. I generally don't seak out sealed games, unless the price is reasonable and it's a game I don't have, OR my current copy is a bit worn (torn manual, sunbleach, stickers, etc) and I'd like something in better shape. I prefer to buy complete games in great condition, though I don't buy these games as investments to sit sealed on a shelf somewhere. I have them to play. There are better things to invest in.

I've opened many sealed games the past few years, since getting back into the Turbo grafx in 2003 or 2004. Some of the following sealed games I have opened:

- Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
- Order of the Griffon
- Legned of Hero Tonma
- Super Star Soldier
- Dynastic Hero
- Fatal Fury 2 (PCE)
- Y's 3

My feeling is that if you are looking for an investment, want to open a museum, etc leaving it sealed may be understandable. Though, I suggest not being too concerned about those things and jsut play the game if that's what you like to do.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

offsidewing

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 01:00:58 AM »
For some reason, I think it's neat to have a sealed copies of the games I really like.  I have a sealed Final Lap Twin, Blazing Lazers, and CF2.  I guess it's a lame novelty that the games have survived all these years in sealed condition, hang tags and all.  The Mrs thinks I'm a giant dork, but she collects all kinds of purses and shoes that she's only ever worn ONCE!

I digress... 

nat

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 04:28:52 AM »
The Mrs thinks I'm a giant dork, but she collects all kinds of purses and shoes that she's only ever worn ONCE!

Yeah, what the f*ck is up with that?

And then it's a huge battle to try to get her to throw ONE f*ckING PURSE AWAY!

It's like,

"Honey, you haven't used that purse since 2005. Do you REALLY plan on using it again any time soon? You'll still have the other 8,567. It's just I can't hang my coat in the coat closet anymore because all the hangers are being used by purses that haven't seen the light of day-- this century."

"Nat, I just haven't worn the outfit it goes with in a while... But I use it! It gets used! Fine, you throw one of your video game consoles or computers away and I'll get rid of it."

"That's not quite the same..."

"Of course it is!"

...And round and round we go.