Author Topic: Insane price for so called mint Turbo Duo!?  (Read 966 times)

TR0N

Insane price for so called mint Turbo Duo!?
« on: March 15, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

Re: Insane price for so called mint Turbo Duo!?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:04:13 PM »
That is indeed insane.  Did the TurboDuo really come shrinkwrapped?  The SMS, NES, Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx-16 and its CD-ROM all were not shrinkwrapped.  Also it is odd that the EBX sticker is on the back of the box.

rolins

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:04 AM »
Unbelievable thats over 3x times the avg amount. If I had $850 on me I'd save to get me a japanese candy cab.

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:56:02 AM »
That's nothing.
Check this puppy out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TURBO-DUO-TAP_W0QQitemZ260096848445QQcategoryZ49230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Must be some "multiplayer" prototype.  So rare it's practically unique.

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 04:05:54 AM »
Ha ha ha, how the hell did the box get damaged UNDER the plastic? Damn them for shrinkwrapping the thing themselves!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:24:22 AM »
That's nothing.
Check this puppy out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TURBO-DUO-TAP_W0QQitemZ260096848445QQcategoryZ49230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Must be some "multiplayer" prototype.  So rare it's practically unique.

Jeebus - I hope that's a typo and they unintentionally added the zero in the middle.  The prices on the seller's other items aren't so crazy.  $19.99 would still be a bit high but a lot more reasonable.  Crazy ass people on ebay.   [-(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 05:26:26 AM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MrFulci

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 09:19:24 PM »
The Turbo Duo I received new, direct from TZD, was shrinkwrapped.. Looked like it does in that ebay auction's picture.

If you ordered your Duo from TZD sometime in the 90's, it probably also shipped in a custom made shipping box. It was a bit larger than the Turbo Duo box, it had some spare space at the top which I guess could hold a controller box or similar. I acquired only a Duo, so there was some styrofoam kibble to fill up the empty space. The box also had the TZD logo "painted" on it.

I still have 2 of TZD branded shipping boxes around. The large Duo box (I store my Duo system box in there), the other is about the size of a stack of cd games.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

MrFulci

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
Took some pics of the box I mentioned:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:41:18 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

ccovell

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:18:03 AM »
When Compucentre in Canada were getting rid of their Duo stock around 1993/4 they were selling these Duo systems for $99.99 new!  That was such a great deal, both my friend and I bought one system each.

There's no excuse for auctioning off a (similar) Duo system at such a markup...

Zor Prime

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 05:37:34 AM »
If you can shrink wrap, what's interesting is that the box is probably more valueable than the system is itself.

We should do a manufacturing run on boxes and buy broken Duo's and fix them and become millionaires selling them each upwards of 1K USDollars.  (make a rotating list of who's turn it is to sell to reduce lost profits)

J/K

nodtveidt

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »
If you can shrink wrap, what's interesting is that the box is probably more valueable than the system is itself.

We should do a manufacturing run on boxes and buy broken Duo's and fix them and become millionaires selling them each upwards of 1K USDollars.  (make a rotating list of who's turn it is to sell to reduce lost profits)

J/K
Hey that's not a bad idea. I have shrinkwrap capabilities in my lab. :D

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »
I paid like $150 (or was $200? Hmm....) when TZD had some brand new systems in 2000/01 or so. That was the last of them after that. I didn't let that opportunity slip by. My system is still in great condition, I rarely played it until like the past year or so. I just hope it isn't one of those doomed systems. So I really need to get a hold of D-Lite and get a cooling fan plus the S-video would be nice.

thewestexit

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 06:42:56 PM »
I bought my Turbo Duo brand new from EB in 1994 for $99.  It was not shrinkwrapped.

Since then I have either decreased or increased its value by adding a region switch and an RGB mod, depending on your point of view.
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

MrFulci

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 06:33:19 AM »
thewestexit,

When you purchased your Duo did it include the wrap-around band on the box mentioning the free CD's, coupon book, free "mystery" TG-16 chip game (I was told that it was always either Ninja Spirit or Splatterhouse. Mine was Splatterhouse)?

I think TZD took those games out of some of their shrinkwrapped Duo's, and that is why they were sold non-shrinkwrapped in 2000 on. Either that, or not all of the Turbo Duo systems sold in the US included the free stuff inside.

I think if the system had the free stuff inside, it was shrinkwrapped to keep the goodies inside, and also the wrap-aroudn band from being damaged. If there were no free items inside, those may be the systems sold non-shrinkwrapped?

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
All I remember was in 1992 at EB Games in Puerto Rico. You got a 4 in 1 deal. It was basically the 3 in 1 disc with Bonk 1, 2 and Gate of Thunder plus Ninja Spirit HuCard. Other than that, that is all I remember. There might have been and Air Zonk deal at some time there. The market was pretty much dead in 1993 for all that. SNES and Genesis were the top dogs right then. Yeah my system wasn't shrink wraped. So, either the box or a sticker on the shrink wrap would have mentioned something or maybe it was just a core system.