Author Topic: Dragon Slayer  (Read 1465 times)

termis

Dragon Slayer
« on: March 24, 2007, 07:19:11 AM »
Finished Dragon Slayer again since I played it for the 1st time 10 or so odd years ago.  Wow, I'm not quite sure why this game fetches relatively high prices on ebay - I guess just cause it's an English-text RPG.

The classic console-RPG gameplay itself is okay, but the graphics are rather underwhelming.  There aren't any eye candy in the whole game except the intro and the ending.  Story is somewhat typical as well.  Take out the CD music & voices in the game, and it probably could've been easily ported as a HuCard game.  And the voice acting... is absolutely atrocious.

So I just started part II, and the overworld looks a lot more polished and cleaned up compared to part I.  (and it starts out exactly the same way - you sneaking out to do some slime hunting).   So far, I gathered that I have to travel around to 4 other kingdoms and send out messages or something to that effect. 

We'll see how this goes.

Keranu

Re: Dragon Slayer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 07:32:45 AM »
I loved the first one personally. Not many people think much of it, but I thought it was a really fun adventure. The graphics are pretty simple looking, but for some reason I am really attracted to them and think they look great. Just a really fun game to me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 07:37:56 AM »
The game sucks in every way possible, no doubt about that, but it still has a certain charm to it. I like the voice acting, myself. In a weird way.

runinruder

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »
I'm with Keranu, I like this game quite a bit.  The last time I beat it was a good four or five years ago, though.  I've been meaning to play through it again. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:17:20 AM »
Same here, love the game, even like the voice acting, even though I know it ain't the best.  And you talk about graphics, but, have you seen the SNES & Genesis versions??  They look identical!  For some reason, everyone that ported this game, must've litterally ported the game, & didn't touch up the graphics.  But, oh well, great game still!

hizaygizirlz

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »
I got the game a while back and passed it.  I was really addicted to it during the time i played it, i had a blast w/ it b/c its so old school and basic.  The voice acting is the best the first boss that you fight says something like "Why don't you go la di da da" i know its not a direct quote but what ever it was, was quite histerical to me.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »
Same here, love the game, even like the voice acting, even though I know it ain't the best.  And you talk about graphics, but, have you seen the SNES & Genesis versions??  They look identical!  For some reason, everyone that ported this game, must've litterally ported the game, & didn't touch up the graphics.  But, oh well, great game still!

The Mega Drive version actually looks pretty different. Not much better, but a little. Still looks like crap though. Yeah, they're just ported and didn't touch the graphics much for some reason. The Saturn/PS1 ports look the same, easily the ugliest games on those systems! Even Falcom's own PC remake from 1997 (Shin Eiyuu Densetsu) looks pretty much the same. Why? Whyyyy?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
The game sucks in every way possible, no doubt about that, but it still has a certain charm to it. I like the voice acting, myself. In a weird way.

Heh, the voice acting is the most interesting part of it. I used to work for a print magazine back in the so called heydey of gaming magazines and towards the end of my run there we did a "worst dubs ever" list. I know it was in the top 5 along with Last Alert.
--DragonmasterDan

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »

Heh, the voice acting is the most interesting part of it. I used to work for a print magazine back in the so called heydey of gaming magazines and towards the end of my run there we did a "worst dubs ever" list. I know it was in the top 5 along with Last Alert.

A.k.a. Lazer Dork's "best dubs ever" list.  :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »

The Mega Drive version actually looks pretty different. Not much better, but a little. Still looks like crap though. Yeah, they're just ported and didn't touch the graphics much for some reason. The Saturn/PS1 ports look the same, easily the ugliest games on those systems! Even Falcom's own PC remake from 1997 (Shin Eiyuu Densetsu) looks pretty much the same. Why? Whyyyy?

Actually, you're right, I just saw some pics of the MD version online by chance, & it actually does look a little better.  The proportions are different, more like the LOX games.  I have the Saturn one as well, & yeah, it looks identical to the Turbo one.  I'll have to fire up the SNES & MD ones to see the real differences, I just don't recall much.  I wonder if that game is hackable to the point, where we could touch up the graphics, that is, if there's enough memory left over in all the various places that it loads.  That might be an interesting project.

Keranu

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
I didn't like the MD version's graphics to be honest. Things were bigger, but looked goofier (and choppier maybe? can't remember). Just something about those little sprites and bright colors of the Duo version I admire so much. Also I remember playing a ROM for the SFC version and it had the small sprites of the Duo version, but it had like very little colors or something, really weird.

Quote from: hizaygirls
The voice acting is the best the first boss that you fight says something like "Why don't you go la di da da" i know its not a direct quote but what ever it was, was quite histerical to me.

I love this line, I was laughing so hard at it. I also love how the chick of the game (not Mika, the one on your team) sounds like a straight up hooker.

Quote from: Black_Tiger
A.k.a. Lazer Dork's "best dubs ever" list.  ;)

Right on!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 04:42:13 PM »
I didn't like the MD version's graphics to be honest. Things were bigger, but looked goofier (and choppier maybe? can't remember). Just something about those little sprites and bright colors of the Duo version I admire so much. Also I remember playing a ROM for the SFC version and it had the small sprites of the Duo version, but it had like very little colors or something, really weird.

Quote from: hizaygirls
The voice acting is the best the first boss that you fight says something like "Why don't you go la di da da" i know its not a direct quote but what ever it was, was quite histerical to me.

I love this line, I was laughing so hard at it. I also love how the chick of the game (not Mika, the one on your team) sounds like a straight up hooker.

Quote from: Black_Tiger
A.k.a. Lazer Dork's "best dubs ever" list.  ;)

Right on!

Even the opening is damned hilarous "Ah, my dear prince LOOOOOOGAN" It sounds like someone doing a ridiculously over the top Lucky the General Mills cereal character impression with an overlapping California accent and speaking pattern. It's just horrendous. The only game with comparably ridiculous voice acting in my opinion in Shining Force III for Saturn and/or Last Alert.

--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 08:01:14 PM »
"Bare my Arctic Blasth"!  "Take thisth!"

FM-77

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 02:15:49 AM »
Good marning me lard.

Digi.k

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 03:56:03 AM »
Dragon slayer was pretty good RPG. Although its been years since i last played this I can't remember the voice acting being that bad..  I'm just thankfull to befriend someone back then who let me borrow the game for a few weeks.

One of the interesting things about Dragon Slayer is that you could switch to play the game with the music in either redbook or chip..  I wished I had the game long enough to play it again with the chip music though...