Author Topic: Dragon Slayer  (Read 1463 times)

Zor Prime

Re: Dragon Slayer
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »
Not sure on the lottery ticket bit.

The only voice acting I did not like in the game was when Sonya talked.  She made me cringe.

I thought the rest was pretty good.  Even very amusing if not hilarious in some parts.

I'd rather take a fun, basic, solid foundation of a game than one where it has been glossed over in some multi million dollar Hollywood studio that sounds and looks great but entertains me only for a few hours until I can see through the gloss.

This is probably why my 360 & Wii have taken the back burner to the Duo lately.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »
Just finished this game for the first time, even though I've owned it for 15 years or so. Was initially turned off by the horribly crap voice acting.

One thing interesting, I picked up a lottery ticket that was not explained in the walkthrough on gamefaqs. I wound up winning 50,000 gold I believe. Anyone know if there's a technique on when to check whether you've won or whether there's any variation?

It's been a few years, but I think that you always win the lottery - just like in real life!  :^o
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

Re: Lottery ticket
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »
Just finished this game for the first time, even though I've owned it for 15 years or so. Was initially turned off by the horribly crap voice acting.

One thing interesting, I picked up a lottery ticket that was not explained in the walkthrough on gamefaqs. I wound up winning 50,000 gold I believe. Anyone know if there's a technique on when to check whether you've won or whether there's any variation?

If I remember correctly, the longer you wait, I believe chapter-wise, the more(or less?) you win.

I bought Dragon Slayer when it was released in the USA and invested a lot of time into playing it.

I think it's a great game.  I think Ys's 1/2 & CF2 are good games too.  I'd probably rank them Ys, DS, then CF.  I've beat all many times.  I even played so much in DS I found a couple reproduceable bugs.

Anyway, I like Dragon Slayer so much I named my 2 sons Logan & Ethan.

For real.   :mrgreen:

What, no Drax and Naja?  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:04:44 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Just thought I've add one more tidbit to the thread rather than start a new one.

Finshed Dragon Slayer II today.  Like some of the other TG16/PCE Falcom games, ending was actually really good.

Unfortunately, rest of the game - not so hot.  Though nothing stellar, part I moved along quickly and I was never bored, but part 2... it draaaags on.  Fighting and making money takes forever compared to the prequel.  Most of the game is just raising your levels & making money while warping from one town to the other to advance the story.  I took just under 30 hours to finish this one, and I'd guess I pry spent at least 75-80% of that indicated playing time raising levels or trying to earn money.

And the overworld... The whole overworld from part I is uncovered in the very first part of the game, and for the most part afterwards, (3/4th or so) the game takes place going back & forth between areas in an underground passageways.  I actually kinda felt claustrophobic playing this game.   :-#

Basic English walkthrough for the SNES version worked just fine:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/570827/33684

And more detailed faq with all the maps (Japanese).
http://adol.jp/games/ed2/menu.htm

Alrighty - so that's that.

I dunno what RPG I'll start next.  Hmmm...

FM-77

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 12:53:37 AM »
I've heard that The Legend of Heroes 2 is supposed to be the worst entry in the series.

Try The Legend of Heroes 3 remake for Sega Saturn next. Really nice game (although very dialogue-driven - and in Japanese). Hudson made it. Cheap game, but not all that easy to come by I suppose. I got it complete from Palet_th for $10 on Ebay, if I'm not mistaken.

A little info and some screenshots on my website (sorry for the poor layout, it's not supposed to be hotlinked to as that removes the rest of the frames of the website)

http://www.digitalsloth.net/ys/library/loh3sat.php
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:55:32 AM by Seldane »

offsidewing

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »
I bought DS in 1993 and really liked the game.  Until then I had only played Neutopia, Cosmis Fantasy, Dubba Dungeons, Final Lap Twin Quest (which is a fantasic RPG if you want a break from beasts and boobs),and the existing Phantasy Star /Dragon Warrior games at the neighbors.

In 1993, it was a pretty innovative RPG for the TG.  You could manual distribute attribute points when you leveled.  The encouter system wasn't random.  And the side quests took the edge off straight up leveling.  It had a varied enough soundtrack that wasn't too repetative.  It also had pirates.  And the moon mace was bad ass.  I spent (spend) a lot of time wondering if Sonya's "Cuffs" matched her "Collar."

For me, DS finished behind CF2 and Ys 1-2,4.  Adding cut scenes really would have added to the experience, but not have connected with me as a youth the way other RPGs (and yes, Final Lap Twin Quest) did.

termis

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »
And the side quests took the edge off straight up leveling.  It had a varied enough soundtrack that wasn't too repetative.

By side quests, you don't mean "optional" quests, right?  (Were there any optional quests/dungeons in DS?)

For me, DS finished behind CF2 and Ys 1-2,4.  Adding cut scenes really would have added to the experience, but not have connected with me as a youth the way other RPGs (and yes, Final Lap Twin Quest) did.

Yeah, that sounds about right for the Turbo.  But I can't think of many other English-text RPGs for the Turbo in the first place!  (Hence the need to play import RPGs for the Duo, since JP RPGs are so much more abundant)  I'm glad I'm using my Japanese for something :D

offsidewing

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 11:00:56 AM »
And the side quests took the edge off straight up leveling.  It had a varied enough soundtrack that wasn't too repetative.

By side quests, you don't mean "optional" quests, right?  (Were there any optional quests/dungeons in DS?)

Yeah, that sounds about right for the Turbo.  But I can't think of many other English-text RPGs for the Turbo in the first place!  (Hence the need to play import RPGs for the Duo, since JP RPGs are so much more abundant)  I'm glad I'm using my Japanese for something :D
[/quote]

I use the term side quest loosely.  The game didn't get boring and you had some motivation to finish.  Speaking of higher knowledge in PCE/Turbo games.  4 years of German in high school, another 4 in college and all I have to show for it is understanding every word in the Dracula X opening.  hehehe, FLIEGEMAUS!