Author Topic: Dragon Slayer  (Read 1474 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Dragon Slayer
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 04:32:52 AM »
Dragon slayer was pretty good RPG. Although its been years since i last played this I can't remember the voice acting being that bad..  I'm just thankfull to befriend someone back then who let me borrow the game for a few weeks.

One of the interesting things about Dragon Slayer is that you could switch to play the game with the music in either redbook or chip..  I wished I had the game long enough to play it again with the chip music though...

It really depends on your taste. Dragon Slayer is about on par with Snatcher voice acting wise and most people online seem to love("best ev-er!") that masterpiece.

If you have a better memory of Snatcher, picture Gillian's voice as Gilles' in DS with a touch of Random Hagile and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 05:50:23 AM »
I prefer to play with the chip music. Not only does it reduce loading times significantly (you need it because the encounter rate is so ridiculously high! Even standing still won't save you!). Also, the chip music sounds a lot better than that typical PCE crap cd music.

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 07:28:25 AM »
Oh yeah that reminds me, Dragon Slayer had a really cool battle encounter system. Instead of being random, there are a bunch of invisible monster sprites scattered over the world map. So if you walk into one of them or if they walk into you, the battle starts. There are items you can use in the game to make these sprites visible so you can avoid battles easier. Also once you beat a battle, the sprite disappears, or if you run away from battle, the sprite becomes invisible and you can actually run away from it. In dungeons all the monsters are completely visible. I always thought this was a really neat idea.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »
I prefer to play with the chip music. Not only does it reduce loading times significantly (you need it because the encounter rate is so ridiculously high! Even standing still won't save you!). Also, the chip music sounds a lot better than that typical PCE crap cd music.

Yeah, Ryo Yonemitsu can go suck a lemon for all I care, HE SUCKS!

I'm kidding ofcoarse, because I think he rocks!

FM-77

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 09:27:19 AM »
Ryu Yonemitsu ruined Ys 1-3 PCE. I hate him. And I'm serious about this. Rock sucks.

Ys 4 was all right, actually.

termis

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 11:25:14 AM »
Actually, I tried both (CD and PSM), and at least for me, the CD loading seems to be quite minimal for battle encounters - I found it bearable, so I left it on CD music.  But yeah, PCM isn't bad either.  The last few RPGs I've played all had this option, which is nice (DSI & II, Gulliver Boy, Beast Sanjuushi).

I'm about 5-6 hours into Dragon Slayer II, and holy cow, this one is soooooo sloooooow compared to part I.  The game is super-stingy with giving you exp and gold.  In fact, I find that I continually have to sell all the stuff I find in battle to make ends meet (buying weapons & armor).  I swear, I think about 90% of gameplay so far for me has been just trying to level up my character.  I'll probably need to increase exp for another hour or two to continue on with the game...    ](*,)

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
Ryu Yonemitsu ruined Ys 1-3 PCE. I hate him. And I'm serious about this. Rock sucks.

Most people don't seem to like Ys IV's music, but I really enjoyed it myself. It was different than the others, almost more disco-ish in a way, but I liked the difference and thought it was groovy.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »

Most people don't seem to like Ys IV's music, but I really enjoyed it myself. It was different than the others, almost more disco-ish in a way, but I liked the difference and thought it was groovy.

As do I, though it's not my favorite of his work.  Seriously though, what Sel said, is stone cold fact!  Rock sucks!  Down with rock!  Rock music is the worst invention since the toaster oven!  Blaaaaaaaaah :lol:

Actually, I used to hate rock, as I grew up mainly with Hip Hop(NOT the crap you hear on the radio, but, underground stuff), but, it's because of all these games, that I love certain types of rock now!

Keranu

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »
Chuck Berry smashes Seldane's opinion with his foot :) .

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 03:36:17 AM »
Dragon Slayer is a pretty decent rpg, and there aren't that many US rpg releases anyway.  The battle system isn't as tedious as some games, but the encounter rate is a bit too high (in the beginning, anyway).  I like the fish mini games and playing reversi / othello.  Did anybody ever beat the old man at othello?  I always wondered if he gave you something special if you could whip him, but I suck too much and couldn't get the job done.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Digi.k

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 03:41:13 AM »
that reversi game was just awesome!!!  I know I beat him a few times cause I played the reversi that came with the old MS windows for hours.  I don't remember if that old man gave you anything special though...

The battles are not too bad but you know if it gets tedious you could just switch to AI.. and I could swear that later on in the game you could get an item that reveals the monsters on the map.. although I could be wrong on this..

Keranu

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »
The battles are not too bad but you know if it gets tedious you could just switch to AI.. and I could swear that later on in the game you could get an item that reveals the monsters on the map.. although I could be wrong on this..
Yeah there were a couple different items that could reveal monsters on the map. I never found the battles in DS to be tedious, unless you weren't leveled up maybe. In fact thanks to DS' brilliant running away system, I think DS has some of the lesser tedious battles in RPGs :D .

Speaking of battles, does anyone remember that awesome boss fight in DS with that dude that would create a mirror version of himself? I really loved this boss because he required some great tactics to beat him. In most RPGs you can easily overcome bosses by leveling up, but this guy made things trickier and more fun :) .

termis

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 10:42:08 AM »
I like the fish mini games and playing reversi / othello.  Did anybody ever beat the old man at othello?  I always wondered if he gave you something special if you could whip him, but I suck too much and couldn't get the job done.

Yeah, you get nothing special.  You can learn the same set of spells from him whether you beat him at the game or not.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »

RYO YONEMITSU IS YOUR GOD AND YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE HIM

And he did a great job on the 'You're Under Arrest' anime songs too.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 02:34:30 PM »

RYO YONEMITSU IS YOUR GOD AND YOU WILL BOW DOWN BEFORE HIM

And he did a great job on the 'You're Under Arrest' anime songs too.

Interesting, I'll have to check those out!  Also, he redid some Wild Arms music for a recent arranged Wild Arms ost!  Some nice stuff, to say the least!