Author Topic: Dragon Slayer  (Read 1466 times)

turbofan1

Re: Dragon Slayer
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 03:42:28 AM »
The game sucks in every way possible, no doubt about that, but it still has a certain charm to it. I like the voice acting, myself. In a weird way.
Seldane is wright,that game sucks in every way possible.Cant comprehend on how anybody would actually like that game.Its A waste of time and money.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 04:46:34 AM »
Seldane is wright,that game sucks in every way possible.Cant comprehend on how anybody would actually like that game.Its A waste of time and money.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong - Dragon Slayer is in everybody's top ten list of Turbo rpg games.  Wait...... maybe that's because there's only about ten rpgs anyway.   #-o

If anybody wants to play a TG16 rpg, the choices are limited and Dragon Slayer isn't any worse than most of the other available titles.  Now Deep Blue - that's definitely a waste of time, money, effort, and brain cells (and I'm fairly certain that it can cause cancer).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turbofan1

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 05:09:58 AM »
Well considering the fact that Deep blue costs something like five to ten dollars.And DS:LOH costs anywheres from twenty five to forty dollars.It is A waste of money.No Ds isn't the the worst game for the turbo.That would be Taken it to the hoop.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 06:34:12 AM »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong - Dragon Slayer is in everybody's top ten list of Turbo rpg games.  Wait...... maybe that's because there's only about ten rpgs anyway.   #-o

If anybody wants to play a TG16 rpg, the choices are limited and Dragon Slayer isn't any worse than most of the other available titles.  Now Deep Blue - that's definitely a waste of time, money, effort, and brain cells (and I'm fairly certain that it can cause cancer).

I kind of disagree with Dragon Slayer not being any worse than the other available titles, I think Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a much much better game personally.
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 06:46:49 AM »
Dragon Slayer wasn't too bad. I only played through it once, years ago. I didn't find it any worse or better than Cosmic Fantasy 2.

The only big complaint I had about that game was the ending was pretty simple. Nothing much to it. I was left thinking, "Hmm, that's it? that's the final boss?"

A decent game. Nothing too special to it, but nothing too awful about the game play for me to consider it garbage.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 08:39:45 AM »
I kind of disagree with Dragon Slayer not being any worse than the other available titles, I think Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a much much better game personally.

That's why I put that little word 'most' in there.  :wink:

I don't think that DS is inferior (or superior) to Exile, Exile: WP, Neutopia 1 and 2, OotG, M&M III, or Ys III.  The only rpgs that are vastly superior to DS are Ys I & II and Cosmic Fantasy 2, and CF2 only because of the story and cut scenes.  CF2 is much worse than DS when it comes to enemy encounter rates and the battle system - considering in DS battles can be set to auto and you can use the looking glass (is that the right item?) to avoid most battles altogether.

Turbofan1 couldn't comprehend why anyone would like Dragon Slayer, and I was answering why I like it - it's far from unplayable and is one of only a few choices for rpgs.  I didn't consider the cost of the game, as that relates to rarity and availability far more than the quality of the game.  I'd much rather spend $25-40 on a playable game than $5-10 on a useless pile of manure like Deep Blue.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »
I completely agree with Necromancer on this one.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
Well considering the fact that Deep blue costs something like five to ten dollars.And DS:LOH costs anywheres from twenty five to forty dollars.It is A waste of money.No Ds isn't the the worst game for the turbo.That would be Taken it to the hoop.

Yeah, but you can get the PC Engine Dragon Slayer for $1 - $5, which features a cool interactive test mode when you run it on a sub-3.0 card.

Even if you didn't use a walkthrough, the PCE DS is more fun than Deep Blue and doubles as a nice soundtrack CD.

That's why I put that little word 'most' in there.  :wink:

I don't think that DS is inferior (or superior) to Exile, Exile: WP, Neutopia 1 and 2, OotG, M&M III, or Ys III.  The only rpgs that are vastly superior to DS are Ys I & II and Cosmic Fantasy 2, and CF2 only because of the story and cut scenes.  CF2 is much worse than DS when it comes to enemy encounter rates and the battle system - considering in DS battles can be set to auto and you can use the looking glass (is that the right item?) to avoid most battles altogether.

Turbofan1 couldn't comprehend why anyone would like Dragon Slayer, and I was answering why I like it - it's far from unplayable and is one of only a few choices for rpgs.  I didn't consider the cost of the game, as that relates to rarity and availability far more than the quality of the game.  I'd much rather spend $25-40 on a playable game than $5-10 on a useless pile of manure like Deep Blue.

I like that Dragon Slayer, even with all its running around 'fetching' quests, is more straightforward and I guess "traditional" than Cosmic 2, which has at least a few cheap sections. Plus, DS has way nicer bg/map art/graphics and music than Cosmic 2 and it's not-so-linear with extra stuff to do.

Cosmic 2 is still fun for those who can appreciate it, but has more big flaws than DS as an actual game.

I like them both, but prefer DS way more and it'll always get more play throughs from me.

As far as Turbo games go, Dragon Slayer is definitely one of the 'good' ones.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:09:12 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

malducci

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 02:24:09 PM »

I was really happy with Dragon Slayer when I bought it back in the day. It was a very fun game. While not as many cinemas as CF2, the opening/intro was nice to see back then. I beat DS:LOH about 4-5 times and CF2 once.

Also, with using the rubberband trick on the controller and setting the battle to auto - you could leave the system on over night and come back the next morning for gobs gold and levels galore.  :mrgreen:

Black Tiger

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2007, 02:30:25 PM »

I was really happy with Dragon Slayer when I bought it back in the day. It was a very fun game. While not as many cinemas as CF2, the opening/intro was nice to see back then. I beat DS:LOH about 4-5 times and CF2 once.

Also, with using the rubberband trick on the controller and setting the battle to auto - you could leave the system on over night and come back the next morning for gobs gold and levels galore.  :mrgreen:

I used to hunt those blue apes to get coma darts for that trick. Once I earned enough cash, I upgraded to Gold Rods. But after a certainly point (50 levels?) you run out of secret luck power or something and you can't 'instant-death' kill enemies anymore.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2007, 03:30:31 AM »
Rock sucks!  Down with rock!  Rock music is the worst invention since the toaster oven!
:wink:

Zor Prime

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 06:57:38 AM »
I bought Dragon Slayer when it was released in the USA and invested a lot of time into playing it.

I think it's a great game.  I think Ys's 1/2 & CF2 are good games too.  I'd probably rank them Ys, DS, then CF.  I've beat all many times.  I even played so much in DS I found a couple reproduceable bugs.

Anyway, I like Dragon Slayer so much I named my 2 sons Logan & Ethan.

For real.   :mrgreen:

FM-77

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2007, 07:08:49 AM »
That's an honorable thing to do. Logan in particular is a very nice name.

Zor Prime

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2007, 09:17:22 AM »
Funny thing is my Logan looks like Logan in the game.  Bright blonde hair, face and all.  Except has brown eyes.

And Ethan, well, funny enough looks like Ethan in the game.  Except has blue eyes.

(how the hell my blonde son has brown eyes and the brown hair one has blue eyes I don't know)

wooster

Lottery ticket
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2007, 09:42:19 AM »
Just finished this game for the first time, even though I've owned it for 15 years or so. Was initially turned off by the horribly crap voice acting.

One thing interesting, I picked up a lottery ticket that was not explained in the walkthrough on gamefaqs. I wound up winning 50,000 gold I believe. Anyone know if there's a technique on when to check whether you've won or whether there's any variation?