Author Topic: How did you join the Turbo family?  (Read 1532 times)

kenomac78

Re: How did you join the Turbo family?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
i got into it after the TG16 was being price cut  to stay cheaper than intendo and sega, i had always wanted one before then, but it was  difficult to not go out and buy what you want when you are still a kid. of course that year it was the vote of my brother wanting a sega cd or me wanting a tg 16 , of course'n my mom took the cheap route. i bought as many 9.99 games as i could and got into used ones as well. all in all it was fun experience that no one else in town could claim as they were nintendo or sega diehards, i liked sega too, but it was an overload of jock type games, and nintendo's (still to this day) frustrating policies, despite that they made some decent 1st party games, that drove me to the love of the turbo

years later in college i had a talk once about the insane prices of somethings compared to what the same monet gets you today ( like a ps2's price now vs the NES then, etc.)  of course i mentioned my turbo fandom which was met with looks of shock and/or confusion. since no one had actually ever played one and only went by word of mouth, which of course that word was 'sucks' but i disagree of course

Turbo D

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
When I was a little kid, I begged my parents for the turbo grafx, they said no. Then when the duo came out, I begged them for that, they said no. Then go many years into the future and I'm a senior in Highskool. I saved money and bought one on ebay. Now years later from then, I'm still buying games and enjoying the system  :D

nat

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »
You should disown your parents.

Turbo D

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »
haha  :lol:

Tatsujin

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:54:46 PM »
don't remember well. first got in contact in early '88 when i saw the first time pictures of r-type and kato chan - ken chan (fabulous game btw.), as well as the small quadratric an practical white core, in one of our main gamemags. first time i play on it in a warehouse which also sold some import systems around '89. then in the '90 my friends dad with the big wallet, buyed him a core grafx and the bomberman sessions started weekly. later i bought me US DUO with jap. hucard adaptor and RGB mod, which i still own nowadays.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »
Late 80's a rental store had the (TG16+Turbo CD) that you could try out.

Afther playing, Monster Lair and Valis II i couldn't get enough of it.

The rest is history... even when i traded the console+games away in the "early 90's i ended up missing the system any ways

So back in 05 i pickup a, Duo-R and CoreGrafx+SCDR2 and starting collecting games again for it.

My only regert that it took so long... to do it given what the value is now for some games  :evil:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:23:23 PM by Tron »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nodtveidt

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
I used to see them in the JC Penney catalogues and wanted one pretty badly, but knew I'd never get one. So I just kept on wanting one until I was 16, I believe. I saved up money I had earned from the internship I was working at a TV station and went out and bought one. When I got it back to the place I was living, the damn thing didn't work! The unit was all scratched up and broken, they had sold me a damn display model. I brought it back in the next day and demanded a replacement (amidst badgering that I should shell out an extra $50 for a Genesis). They gave me the replacement unit and I took it back home, set it all up, and got completely hooked on Keith Courage. The second game I owned, awhile later, was Fantasy Zone. I don't remember what came next, but I picked up Neutopia, Legendary Axe II, Sidearms, Parasol Stars, Sinistron, Cadash, Vigilante, Turrican, and a bunch of others. It would be awhile later that I was able to pick up the CD unit at a good price, and immediately got into all kinds of CD games; Cosmic Fantasy 2 (I had a major crush on Annie, she was so f*cking HOT all grown up), Exile, It Came From The Desert, etc etc etc. A couple of years later, I picked up my first TurboDuo and immediately set out to build a good collection of SuperCD games...of course, I got Exile II, Camp California, Lords Of Thunder, and any other good game I could get my hands on. Also, Neutopia II and Air Zonk had become available at our local store and I just had to have them.

But alas...I lost that beautiful collection in 1996 while living in Tennessee. A few years later, I managed to snag another regular system from a friend, but it came with mostly sports games (which I detest). I ended up selling that a few years later I believe.

Skip forward to the recent past...I managed to score a region-modified briefcase+ACD setup from D-Lite...unfortunately, it arrived somewhat broken (the CDROM wouldn't power up, but the main system would so I could at least play cards). I had also picked up another copy of Legendary Axe II from someone here on this forum (this is still the only card I own, to this day). I played it once on the system I'd bought from D-Lite before I shipped the unit back to him for repairs. When I got it back, I couldn't get it to turn on...at all. Not even to play cards. To this day, it sits in its briefcase, waiting for the day when D-Lite will finally answer my dozens of messages...or I find someone else who can fix the thing and make it work.

MrFulci

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »
nod,

Sucks about your Briefcase model. Was the unit shipped in bubble wrap?

I had an issue sending electronics, only once. That was because I didn't wrap it in bubble wrap and allow enough breathing room all around the unit. Something banged into the box and hit the unit inside, damaging it.

Also nod, what happened with your TG-16 stuff in 1996?

I first acquired my Turbo Grafx when it was pretty cheap. I purchased about 5 games and the system, all new, for about $100. I was a bit later than others to jump on the Turbo Grafx.

I remember ads for the system, commercials and seeing the display at Children's Palace (Splatterhouse looked awesome), however the cost was a bit prohibitive.

I had a Nintendo at the time, neighbour had a Nintendo and an Atari 2600 (I later acquired a 2600 after playing on his system). I had enough video game stuff to keep me busy. We could excange games back and forth, no need to transport systems. It worked out pretty well with us both having Nintendo and an Atari 2600.

I remember the orange console box, as when I would purchase a Nintendo game at Toys 'R Us and take my claim slip up to the booth where the video games were kept, I could see the system box through the plexi glass. The orange box was easy to recognize.

Later I met someone who had a Turbo Grafx 16, we had some fun with Bloody Wolf. Though, he didn't like to play the system often. He preferred his Genesis and new Sega Cd attachment. After playing Bloody Wolf, I knew I would EVENTUALLY get this system.

While at a department store, I saw TG-16 stock being cleared out. I wasn't too interested at first, 'til I asked the price, hahaha. I forget the exact cost for the system, it was somewhere between $25-50, the games I purchased were all between $5-10 a piece. I ended up with a system, and about 5 games. The first games I purchased were Timeball, Final Lap Twin, Chew Man Fu, Raiden (I think...), and probably one other game.

Upon hooking up the system, I wasn't terribly impressed with my selection of games, though I did feel they were all decent (Though Timeball didn't have too much replay) however I remembered Bloody Wolf and Bonk, I knew there had to be more stuff out there!

From there I went to out of business sales, Stores clearing out TG-16 stock, Yard sales, Mail Order (Found TZD this way), Video Rental Stores, etc.

Another memory I have is some of the crap games I'd buy from TZD sometimes the folks there would say, "Are you sure you want to buy that? Are you sure? You could buy Bomberman '93, we have ____ special going on", etc. I purchased Deep Blue and Fighting Street with those warnings, hahaha. I wish instead of spending money on games like that (Deep Blue was alright) I had purchased something else that now costs more $$$.

I got into the TG-16 a bit late in it's life. I scrambled a bit to find new stuff. I got a pretty awesome find at a video store. All in all, it's a fun hobby. Some folks who visit still remember the system.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

akamichi

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 11:22:19 PM »
I think I posted my story on the board before, but I guess I could elaborate a little more. :)

I got my NES for Xmas in '86.  Of course I was hooked on that for a little while.  In mid '87 I moved to Japan and I pretty much NES deprived for a couple years.  Anyway, I soon learned of the Famicom/NES connection and begged my parents for a Famicom (they were about $60 at the time for the basic unit).  They said no since I just got the NES... ignoring the fact that it was basically impossible to get NES games at the time. 

Later on I asked again for a Famicom and we were all set to buy it... the money was in hand and everything.  But the Japanese sales person convinced my Dad NOT to buy it! WTF!  The guy basically lied about it not working on US TVs and 120V vs 100V, etc ,etc.  I was so pissed.  The bastard was persistent about not wanting us to buy it!  From that point on, asking for a Famicom was an automatic "no" from my parents just because of that one guy.

Maybe a couple months after that incident, I found out about the PC Engine and basically the rest is history.  I was there for its launch, but it wasn't anything special.  A few stores close to me had demo units so I mostly played those.  Honestly, I wasn't impressed at first with the games (was still trying to be a Nintendo fanboy. :P), but I loved the compact design.  It wasn't until R-Type came out that I really wanted to get one.  Eventually I got one for Xmas... but even then, I had to convince my parents it would work on US TVs and all that nonsense.  By the time I was able to work part-time or whatever, I just spent my money on PCE stuff.  NES/Famicom died for me in '89/'90 at that point.

Looking back, I guess it was good that I didn't get a Famicom that day.  I probably would have never gotten a PCE, or at least never would have gotten into it as much as I have. 

- akamichi

Incidentally, I bought my first Famicom in 2003.

WoodyXP

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 11:29:24 PM »

I joined the family a few years ago when I picked up a Core Grafx II while I was in Okinawa.  I was at a used CD/DVD store when I
caught it out of the corner of my eye... I snatched it up with the quickness.  After that I frequented used CD/DVD stores picking
up HuCards galore on the cheap.  Good times.  I always wanted a Turbo Grafx when I was a kid, but couldn't afford one so over the past
few years I've been on cloud nine.

A couple months ago I scored a Duo-RX and I've been pile'n up the CD games like crazy.  Damn I love this machine.

Thanks for readin'.

--Woody

kenomac78

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
akamichi thats a great story! was your family military? or how else did you get to live in japan as a kid!?  i live here now but to do as a kid i would have loved it (at least so i thought from my 'japan gets the best games first' mindset)

but i have also been told the famicom (or any RF) does not work with USA tv sets by a few people. that the picture will show up on channel 96 and the sound on 95, if your lucky. did your PCE  work on a USA tv set?

nodtveidt

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 01:45:46 AM »
nod,

Sucks about your Briefcase model. Was the unit shipped in bubble wrap?

I had an issue sending electronics, only once. That was because I didn't wrap it in bubble wrap and allow enough breathing room all around the unit. Something banged into the box and hit the unit inside, damaging it.

Also nod, what happened with your TG-16 stuff in 1996?
Yeah, it was packaged correctly, but the connector on the base that attaches to the CDROM unit became loose. I sent it back to get fixed, it came back solidly in place, but the unit didn't power on at all. I was pretty upset, as was my wife who had forked out the cash for the thing in the first place. As for my stuff in 1996...it's a very long story but it ends with me leaving Tennessee, heading back for Vermont, and my family telling me they'd ship my stuff up to me...never happened, they kept it for themselves. Backstabbing mofos.

akamichi

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »
akamichi thats a great story! was your family military? or how else did you get to live in japan as a kid!?  i live here now but to do as a kid i would have loved it (at least so i thought from my 'japan gets the best games first' mindset)

but i have also been told the famicom (or any RF) does not work with USA tv sets by a few people. that the picture will show up on channel 96 and the sound on 95, if your lucky. did your PCE  work on a USA tv set?
Yeah, we were with the military.  Great times back then.  My friends and I used to ride our bikes to these 3 stores every week if not more just to check out all the games.  Same places I went to for MD and SFC's launch.

As for the RF situation, I did get it to work on a TV I had.  The picture was a little fuzzy and kept going out of sync, but I would just tune it in again.  It happened every 20 or 30 mins, so it wasn't too bad.  I used channel 2 because the TV only went up to 50-something.  About a year after, I got the CDROM unit, so the RF issue didn't matter anymore.  I did have a friend who had a Famicom w/Disc system hooked to a US TV via RF working just fine.  Dunno how he did that.  Then another person I knew had PSX via RF on channel 98 or around there working fine also.  I guess it depends on the TV.

nat

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »
I sent it back to get fixed, it came back solidly in place, but the unit didn't power on at all.

Trying turning on the power for the briefcase (not the PCE core) with the big slide switch without the AC adapter plugged in.

With that power in the ON position, plug in the AC adapter. Will it power up that way?

I have a briefcase that behaves like this. If the AC adapter is plugged in first, the whole thing will not power on at all no matter how many times you slide the switch. But if the switch is in the "ON" position before plugging in the AC, you're golden.

Worth a try, anyway.

nodtveidt

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
I sent it back to get fixed, it came back solidly in place, but the unit didn't power on at all.

Trying turning on the power for the briefcase (not the PCE core) with the big slide switch without the AC adapter plugged in.

With that power in the ON position, plug in the AC adapter. Will it power up that way?

I have a briefcase that behaves like this. If the AC adapter is plugged in first, the whole thing will not power on at all no matter how many times you slide the switch. But if the switch is in the "ON" position before plugging in the AC, you're golden.

Worth a try, anyway.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try when I actually have some free time. :D