Author Topic: Game endings you love/hate?  (Read 1158 times)

kid_rondeau

Game endings you love/hate?
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:34:21 AM »
After dusting off my TurboStick yesterday (hey man, some games demand the use of 'Slow'....Raiden comes to mind) I was finally able to beat Syd Mead's Terraforming.

The game had no ending!

Well, that's not quite true: "[BRIEF EXPLOSION] + [CREDIT SEQUENCE] + [ABSOLUTELY NO EPILOGUE]" seems to about cover it. For a game with such a unique plot, I felt let down by the ending. this got me to thinking of which game endings I loved best, and liked the least (for my purposes, I'm only counting US releases. if anybody chooses to add to this list, feel free to mention PCE releases too)...

5 Endings I Like (NOT my top 5!!):
-Lords of Thunder
-Ys Books I & II
-Dragon's Curse
-Moto Roader (very pleasant music. I've beaten this game with my brother about 5,000 times)
-Dungeon Explorer II

5 Endings that left me wanting:
-Terraforming
-R-Type
-Legendary Axe II (WTF???)
-DEEP BLUE
-Sinistron

Sound off!

Turbo D

Re: Game endings you love/hate?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:03:05 AM »
I really love all the endings to the bonk games and airzonk. I havent really beat allot of my collection, but most endings are pretty lame. The lame ones just show some picture and then credits come down.

runinruder

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:14:28 AM »
Veigues Tactical Gladiator and Legendary Axe II have my favorite endings for chips, while Ys Book I & II and Cosmic Fantasy 2 have the best for CDs. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 02:54:12 AM »
Legendary Axe II's ending was supposed to be a setup for a sequel. Sinistron's ending is definitely a letdown, Violent Soldier's is marginally better (it has a credit scroll) which is rather depressing on both considering how difficult both games are.

Camp California, everyone's favorite punching-bag of a game, has one of the best endings out of all the action games on the console. Cadash has a pretty decent ending too, it's almost the same as the arcade version's (modified for technical reasons, of course...even the Genesis doesn't replicate it perfectly). Air Zonk is probably the best; multiple endings depending on how you play the game. Of course, we all expect decent endings from RPGs, CF2 has a great ending and it's pretty long.

And if anyone can explain the ending to Time Cruise, you'll win a cookie. :dance:

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:38:48 AM »
A bit off topic, but the worst ending I've encountered was in Golden Axe Warrior (excellent Zelda 1 rip off for Master System). Great game, super bad ending. :P

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:52:32 AM »
Final Zone II, it was mediocre because there's no staff roll.

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:09:18 AM »
Who cares about staff rolls?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 04:49:30 AM »
@ kid_rondeau:  Dear God!  You actually suffered through Deep Blue all the way to the end?  You poor bastard.

And if anyone can explain the ending to Time Cruise, you'll win a cookie. :dance:

You take the fancy pants pinball time machine into the future and shit: World War III - Tokyo is toast.  Now where's my cookie?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

rolins

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
After dusting off my TurboStick yesterday (hey man, some games demand the use of 'Slow'....Raiden comes to mind) I was finally able to beat Syd Mead's Terraforming.

You don't need to use slow mode for Raiden. Just keep practicing some more. Oh btw, the Turbostick is lame. 

I don't remember seeing an ending I was satisfied with. I played mainly the shmups on this system, and often those games had endings not worth mentioning. I did like Gunhed and Xevious for the funky music during their credit rolls.

PhilBiker

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
@ kid_rondeau:  Dear God!  You actually suffered through Deep Blue all the way to the end?  You poor bastard.
I was thinking the same thing!  I can't get anywhere in that game.

I have very rarely had the time or patience to get to the ending of any video game.  I love the Shmups, but most of them seem to get progressively harder and harder and harder till I give up.  For example, Super Star Soldier, there's just a point where it goes from fun to impossible.  That's one of the many things I I love about Blazing Lazers/Gunhed.  Level 1 is easy peasy, then it gets to a certain difficulty level, hard but nowhere near impossible, and pretty much stays at the same level till the completely insane Level 9.  I like the Blazing Lazers / Gunhead and Moto Roader ending music.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:23:55 AM »
I like the ending of Starling Odyssey II a lot. I guess back in the day the ending of most games on CD blew me away, but SOII's really stuck with me.

termis

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
Best.ending.ever.

P.O.W. - NES

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »
WORST.ending.ever.

Shinobi - Sega Master System

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 01:51:02 PM »
Best.ending.ever.

P.O.W. - NES

Ahh yess, SNK-Egrish. There has been too many Neo-Geo games that suffer from this, too many. Samurai Shodown 4 is pretty much the all time worse.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 01:59:21 PM »
You mean all-time best?  I'll have to get it.  Who wants to sell me Samurai Shodown 4 AES complete for cheap?