Author Topic: I'm happy... and ANGRY!  (Read 562 times)

offsidewing

I'm happy... and ANGRY!
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »
Ok, so the too good to be true Boxed PCE Duo I picked up off of ePay may turn out to be to good to be true.

The system came packed with a crusty MONO A/V cable.  Mono.  I didn't even know the PCE had mono mono A/V cables but oh well.  No big deal right, WRONG.  No sound comes through the TV.  I've ordered the $12 Duo AV cable from TZD hoping that will be a fix.  I do get sound from the Head phone jack, so I remain optimistic.

Anyways, does anyone else know of this issue?  Not the melting-heat-sink-sound-melting-soldering-thing thread, but about using a mono A/V cable and it being crusty.

Hopefully my Duo A/V cable fixes the problem.  If not, look for a boxed PCE Duo (matchig numbers) to appear for sale shortly.

In the mean time, it's Dracula X, CF2, and DE2 till I drop!!  Wearing headphones of course...

offsidewing

Re: I'm happy... and ANGRY!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
phuck.  After 5 minutes, the head phone audio got staticy and cut out.  I have a bad PCE Duo.

Christmas is stolen from me.  phucking ePay.  My Duo doesn't play sound, D-Lite doesn't answer emails, my wife thinks I'm a dork, and I broke my James Brown tape.

Does anyone have a dog I can kick?

$250 for an RX, here I come...

gundarN

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:53:58 AM »
Does anyone have a dog I can kick?
Mine died last week.

I feel your pain.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:56:55 AM »
That's a real swift kick to the ol' bean bag, but don't cry - somebody might be able to get her fixed up.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »
I've heard that cold solder joints are common in PCE systems. Easy to fix.

Don't buy an RX. Never buy an RX.

offsidewing

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »
In the opening scene of Cosmic Fantasy 2, Van was a giant white box.  I thought he might be practicing shield training with Duncan.  Then I remembered it was the shitty duo.

The console is in great shape and the CD drive is naughty whisper quiet.  But the sound doesn't work.

Oh look, it's the opening to Bonk 3 CD and bonk is a giant white box.  Maybe he's into Dune as well.

Op, no.  It's a crappy Duo.

Hey, it's the opening to Ys 4.  It sounds like a phonograph is getting sodomized in prison and a giant white block is returning to earth.

I think I'm going to ground my son.

offsidewing

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »
I've heard that cold solder joints are common in PCE systems. Easy to fix.

Don't buy an RX. Never buy an RX.

$130-ish for a Duo-R??

The Video and Audio are suspect.  Is it fixable??  The AV port wiggles a bit too.

I emailed the ePay seller.  He said he tested it and it worked fine before he sold it.  And he only marked the value as 5,000 yen.

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »
Yeah, Duo-R systems are much cheaper. They are identical to RX systems.

If the AV port wiggles, it most definitely is broken. Open it up, resolder it (it's HUGE, very easy to do even if you're inexperienced) and it ought to work fine. That's probably what's causing the graphical errors as well.

Soviet Conscript

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:29 AM »
if you don't want to fix it yourself i belive Old School Gamer fixes duo sound problems. though it make take a few weeks
Oh my god! They're not even human!

offsidewing

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:25:45 AM »
Yeah, Duo-R systems are much cheaper. They are identical to RX systems.

If the AV port wiggles, it most definitely is broken. Open it up, resolder it (it's HUGE, very easy to do even if you're inexperienced) and it ought to work fine. That's probably what's causing the graphical errors as well.

Yeah, resolder it.  I fix broken companies, not so much PCE Hardware.  I have zero soldering skills.  I can rewire lighting fixtures, igition switches on fairway mowers, and stero speakers.  I don't even know how to hold a soldering iron.  Is it like using a 9-iron??

I just got an email from the seller.  He's willing to work something out, we'll see what pans out.

Update.  Ah, what a great ebayer.  The seller is going to ship a newer unit and I'll return the old one to a state side address.  This guy has gone out of his way to make things right and my turbo-grief has subsided!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:31:31 AM by offsidewing »

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:29:20 AM »
I had a case juuuuust like offsidewing's when I got a black PCE Duo 3 years ago. I don't trust the black Duos anymore.

But I still hope things work out for you nonetheless.

esteban

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 03:30:38 PM »
But I still hope things work out for you nonetheless.
Absolutely.
  |    | 

offsidewing

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 07:47:59 AM »
The seller made the world right again by swapping a crisply boxed Duo-R.  Outstanding.  It's a tad mis colored, but functions flawlessly.  Now I need to acquire the odd star shaped Duo/R/RX bit to unscrew the case and soak it in some bleach.

Multimods.com, where are you!  I have money and need a region mod and possibly S-Video. . . .

FM-77

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 09:19:27 AM »
Does the bleach thing work right? Sounds interesting.

offsidewing

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 01:13:17 AM »
Does the bleach thing work right? Sounds interesting.

A lot of people tried slightly different combinations with much success.  I tried it on a white PCE 10 years ago and it seemed to work.

I just want to find that Freaking PCE Duo/R/RX bit to take the screws out of my system!