Author Topic: Ghetto Duo-R  (Read 770 times)

offsidewing

Ghetto Duo-R
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »
I couldn't stand staring at my "smoker's teeth brown"  Duo-R anymore.  I just airbrushed it enamle black.  Part of myself hates... myself for doing it.  But I just couldn't take the browness anymore.

I'll know in a few hours what it looks like.  I'll touch up the raised lettering with the tip of a silver sharpie for some contrast.  I taped up the light and the serial number stick since I have the matching box.  Should look (.)(.) on the NEC letters.

Mixed emotions.  I feel like I just cheated on my wife...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:44:39 PM by offsidewing »

MrFulci

Re: Ghetto Duo-R
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 02:33:34 PM »
Where are the pictures? I've seen a Sega Genesis painted white, never a Duo-R painted black.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

offsidewing

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »
I'll post some pre-lims in a second...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 02:48:39 PM by offsidewing »

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »
Haha, I know exactly how that feels! It sucks, but hey a brown Duo-R couldn't be very pretty. I think the black paint job you did turned out great, looks cooler than I expected.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

offsidewing

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »
Haha, I know exactly how that feels! It sucks, but hey a brown Duo-R couldn't be very pretty. I think the black paint job you did turned out great, looks cooler than I expected.

I think it turned out better than I though myself.  I need to be patient with the paint drying though.  I just checked and she's a tad damp still.  Looks good in pics, and not too shabby up close.  It was a quick job so I could be playing it my tomorrow.  Maybe I'll look for a broken duo-R/RX and do it up right.  Sand it, prime it, paint it, clear coat it.  Mmmm.  A nice piano black, like the PSP.  Man, that's sounds nice.

nat

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »
What kind of paint did you use (brand, etc)?

offsidewing

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
It's you basic cheapo type paint black paint.  I use it to seal composites in order to protect against water damage and it always looks freaking sweat when I apply it to carbon fiber.  So I figured I'd pimp out the Duo-R with it.  I did apply it evenly and slowly.  Two thin coats.  It's cheap, so the texture isn't the greatest.  I'll have to see how the Duo-R composite exterior reacts to the spray paint.  It could flake off, it could stay on forever.

The open button has been colored silver with a sharpie, same with the power switch.  I can't wait to see this thing put together.

Ghetto yes, but better than faded shit-stain underware brown.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:41:04 PM by offsidewing »

Bonknuts

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
 I've used the vinyl/plastic dye spray in a can. It has that perfect sheen between matte and eggshell. Though I did my black US duo White back in spring '93.

gundarN

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
Just admit it, you want it to look like a PS3.

offsidewing

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »
I want it to look like my Marantz quadrephonic rear-amp from 1974, but I can't find a wood grain pattern spray paint!

I'm kind of partial to the black/grey/blue color combo.  A blue LED would be sweet.

If I do another, I'm going to paint it Blue because I've never seen a Blue Duo before.

The paint was just about dry when I left the house this morning.  I should have a couple pics posted tonight of what it looks like.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:41:13 AM by offsidewing »

FM-77

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 02:00:25 AM »
Marantz amps are beautiful.

Get a blue LED for your Duo. I did it and it looks sweet. The Duo's obviously meant to have a blue LED. :wink:

Only problem is that it is a tad too strong, it practically lits up the entire room when it's dark outside. :)

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 04:09:41 AM »
In college, we named one of the alternate colors for Dhalsm (sp) in Street Fighter 2 "Hurt your eyes blue" Dhalsm.

That LED would also be considered "hurt your eyes blue."

I'm at work, so it's back to saving the world!

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 04:19:07 AM »

Only problem is that it is a tad too strong, it practically lits up the entire room when it's dark outside. :)

I like that! sounds like my laptop LED light. not to mention blue's my favorite color

GUTS

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:24:55 AM »
Seldane did you buy that from D-Lite?  Just curious because mine has the exact same super strong blue LED and I bought it from him.  I have the top off now while I'm trying to get the RGB thing to work and that LED is so bright that I have to put electrical tape over it or it's honestly blinding.

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:52 AM »
Haha, damn is the light that strong? After you guys mentioned it, the pic itself is even hurting my eyes!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).