Author Topic: wow (insane ebay)  (Read 835 times)

kenomac78

wow (insane ebay)
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:02 PM »

Turbo D

Re: wow (insane ebay)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:26:10 PM »
haha, ya seriously. That seller usually has good deals, but I think he lost it.

kenomac78

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:44 PM »
i looked at his list, and as for commons, yet, not so bad. but the rares, oh god.

its why i hate ebay

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:43 AM »
ya, dudes on ebay really stick it to you for those rare turbo games.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:42 AM »
Although he has had some good deals in the past, he's also listed the odd item crazy high, since he's guestimating the values of a lot of his stuff(like Ys III in a jewel case for $100).

I bought a couple large lots from him, including a boxed SuperGrafx and some PCE mags and was able to negotiate some great deals, particularly after I showed up in person to pay in cash and he brought out more and more unlisted PCE stuff.

He lives down the street from me.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:52:53 AM »
i looked at his list, and as for commons, yet, not so bad. but the rares, oh god.

its why i hate ebay

Yeah, his 'rare' titles are listed for roughly double what they normally sell for.  He must like paying listing fees for overpriced games that will never sell.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »
Wow.  Duoworld issues 2 and 3 are rare, especially mint.  The TTI Duo Macross one page mailer I haven't seen in 13 years.  I can legitimately see them going for $50 a pop in mint condition.  I'm sure this is where a bulk of the "cost" lies for the lot.  Not to mention the posters and the pack-ins may be priceless.

Most of the bulk mailers/flyers are tough to find, but not neccessarily rare.  Although I have contemplated putting my crisp Lords of Thunder "Free-Shirt" flyer on ePay.  However, it has much emotional value and I don't think I could part with it.

Two of the Turbo Play issues are fairly tough to find $25-ish each.  Considering Victor Ireland reviewed a bulk of the "games from around the world" for Turboplay, any thing Working Designs seem to go at a premium lately.

The Turbo Force is easily available for 10-15 bucks a piece.  Mint adds some premium to that price.

While $400 sounds outrageous, it is along the lines of what the market would bare.  The smart thing to do would have been to auction them in groups. Me, I'd buy them in a heart beat, but sleeping on the couch really isn't that fun...

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:36:42 PM by offsidewing »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »
I've seen way worse deals on eBay. Bonk 3 HuCard, Magical Chase US, etc. Recently I saw an auction for Card Fighters 2 (Neo Geo Pocket) that was about $300 or so. Nuts.

Then there is this dude in Japan selling old anime laserdiscs for *crazy* prices. Like Macross: DYRL perfect Edition (CAV) for $250 when it was only something like 12,800 yen brand new, and often goes for less than $20 on eBay regualrly.

How they "get away" with it isn't really the question. Since the price is way way highter than anyone will pay, the question is, "Why do they pay the re-list fees over and over again for stuff that won't sell?" This one guy has had the Urusei Yatsura TV with a BIN of $5000USD for...a couple of years, I think. Granted, its a very nice package, the biggest LD box I personally know of at 50 LDs, and an original price of...something like $2800 I think, but still, that was a long time ago. You can get it on DVD now, the show isn't very popular any more, and nobody is going to pay that much for it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 01:16:51 AM »

its why i hate ebay

Yeah, his 'rare' titles are listed for roughly double what they normally sell for.  He must like paying listing fees for overpriced games that will never sell.

The problem is that when he first listed all his Turbo stuff, most of the rarer stuff sold at really high prices.

If I remember correctly, Dynastice Hero went for $400+.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

kenomac78

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 04:10:20 AM »
i think it just insane because these can be found online and  read for free.

also i do expect  a continual drop in prices for games.  dynastic hero was 400. the last one i saw went for 250. beyondshadowgate used to sell for well over 100, now its under 100. the last cotton i saw only went for 41!

not that these games will be 10 bucks soon, but it looks like its cooling down, as the most rabid, or should i say rich, people have what they want, and a fair market value is starting to come out.  its also especially nice to see the gougers, YES this guy IS a gouger, have their stuff sit on ebay  for ages making no money because we refuse to pay so much for it. and that at somepoint in time these guys will have to bite the bullet and relist these games for what they are really worth and incur great losses, which they deserve for being gougers.

at least this guy uses his own photos, unlike every jagoff from hongkong who steals from pcecp.com

offsidewing

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 05:37:13 AM »
I'm still wondering why people get so mad at the prices people post on ebay.  Someone posts a Duo-R for $1000 and it's, "oh, this must be a 2 month old typo."  Someone lists an open Dungeon Explorer 2 for $175 and he's a GOUGER.  By definition, gouging doesn't really apply to a fixed price sale of non-essential goods.  He'd have to create some scare that only a used copy of Bonk 3 will protect you from tornados or tainted pet food.  Or Bonk 3 may be outlawed on the next assault weapons bill.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to part with it for less than that?  As far as I'm concerned, my Dungeon Explorer 2 is priceless.

Don't get me wrong.  I would agree that the prices on his rares are high, and I can't imagine the listing fees for all that stuff.  But don't hate on the seller for trying to sell stuff that has established worth.

kenomac78

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »
what makes me mad  is that they choose to  keep it listed at X amount of dollars, sort of  creating a standard value along side other games which are started at a straight auction , often at 1 penny or 1 buck.  at least then i feel competitive when i bid. so even if i bid 25$ on bonk 3 and lose, at least i feel like for a while i had a chance at it.

it then inturn newbies to turbo  get wind of the super rares and either buy these games at jacked up prices, or try to get in on it by selling their own. but all they can get is commons and jack those up too. its true these games are for sale anymore so the value floats, but to set these at X then allow it to not float.  and theres no point to the collecting scene anymore if the games just trade hands between people trying to make money on ebay. when i am guessing, more than half on ebay anymore are not bidders but people looking to make a fast buck on ebay anymore. and if you tok out everyone who bid on stuff  because they didnt really want to keep it, but recycle it, then stuff would be alot cheaper!

i seriously hope that classic games go thru a re-adjusting that baseball cards did were the bottom falls out and the real prices start to come out, and every guy from hongkong with an ebay store winds up broke.

as for the 1000$ duo-r  the seller is stupid and anyone who actually buys it is stupidER!

offsidewing

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
as for the 1000$ duo-r  the seller is stupid and anyone who actually buys it is stupidER!

Buyers set the market, not the seller. 

This post pretty much sums up every econ and sociology class you could ever take.  There's a class struggle and free market ecomony all wrapped up into one thread of frustration.

BTW, the Baseball card collapse (which is a wonderfully intriguing study) killed itself.  The card companies kept trying to create an artificial market of rarities.  Each year they would come out with something more rare than the year before.  People stopped buying and the market went away.  That's what killed card collecting and beanie babies.

Prices drop when the demand falls (duh).  In an economic cycle, these drops occur when a product is replaced by a newer/better one.  To make it really simple, check the prices on a used 2nd gen ipod versus a used 60 ipod video.  Turbo stuff is a niche market, economists hate those.  Like personal aircraft and Digital Analog Tape, or more commonly known, precious art.  You want to really get pissed off about make believe prices, try buying a Renoir.  There will never be a 'replacement' for a Renoir, but there's an alternative: Monet.  And he costs just as much.

Bonk 3 is always going to be $250 unless it is replaced by something else.  Perhaps the Wii.  Bonk's adventure is $10 tops because it was replaced by Bonk's Revenge.  Bonk's Revenge by Bonk 3, etc.  The only thing that drives the price on niche is what people are willing to pay for it.  The "rare" aspect of Bonk 3 is a perception.  I've seen more Bonk 3's the last three months than I have Lords of the Rising Sun.

Want to get really pissed?  Think how much a real copy of Sapphire would cost on ebay if someone on this forum gave a CD-R to every subscribed member.  The game has been out of print for over a decade. 

kenomac78

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »
so do you think the cost of sapphire would go up or down if everyone had a copied  cd of it?

and speaking of copied games, since it has no real protection, how come we dont see all kinds of bootlegs for it? i see lots of HK famicom carts but you woudl think with a cd it would be super duper easy to  churn out endless copies.  it must be the low user base.

so if buyers set the market, we should all agree to NOT buy anything from ePay for a set amount of time and bring the prices down

MrFulci

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »
I think the wii will help lower the price on some games.

I noticed the price of Bonk's Adventure dropped soon after the wii VC release. I don't think the sequels have too much to do with the current price, other than at the time of the TG-16, when a sequeel was released, you gotta keep the piror entry around for everyone who is new to the series who wants to try the earleir entries. There are probably more Bonk's Adventure, than there are Revenge.

offsidewing, similar to you talking about new replacing the old, something myself and others noticed a few months ago. It seems,  due to the new systems being released, tg-16 stuff isn't in as much demand. Prices are getting more reasonable. I guess other video game players were saving to spend $$$ on the new systesm and games, and were both ignoring the TG-16 stuff and selling some of their stuff off.

I think Bonk 3 had more limited a production than Lords of the Rising Sun.  It seemed to me the later the release, the less numerous the copies. Especially the TTI stuff. You may be seeing more Bonk 3 games due to people knowing they can cash-in on that particular title moreso than LOTRS. Thena gain, i do not know actual production numbers, so.....

I'm pretty sure the virtual console stuff will help lower the prices on certain games. If they release Bonk 3, the price on the Hu or CD should show some lowering.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".