Author Topic: 1989 clip of Nickelodeon's show Total Panic previewing TG16  (Read 1091 times)

kenomac78

Re: 1989 clip of Nickelodeon's show Total Panic previewing TG16
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 10:19:33 PM »
baahnaahnaah maahn at the end as great! what is up with cartoons from england?

GUTS

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 06:45:03 AM »
I remeber seeing some British cartoon when I was really young where there was some big yellow thing that ripped its legs off or something.  Scarred me horribly for years.  I think it was the Beatles cartoon.

2X4

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 11:17:18 AM »
LOL yeah.  They picked the kids who were stuck sitting on the stairs rather than the ones who eagerly raised their hands.  The host-chick was dumber than a pile of rocks.  "Do the Genesis cartridges work on the older Sega system?"  If they did, they wouldn't need a newer Sega system you dumb whore!

wuahahahaha! that was amazing :lol:

YES exactly what I was thinking.  But now here's a question, can I play the Genesis games on my waffle iron?  Oh, ok, but I can still make waffles in the Genesis, ok.  I wish I could have reached through the screen and the fabric of time and given that cow an open-handed slap on the mouth.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Black Tiger

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
Who makes a little girl play R-Type? Thats basically a punishment.

They might as well plop a toddler in front of a Ghosts 'N Goblins arcade and tell him to go nuts.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 03:23:33 AM »
Who makes a little girl play R-Type? Thats basically a punishment.

They might as well plop a toddler in front of a Ghosts 'N Goblins arcade and tell him to go nuts.
I know! They should have used China Warrior :) .
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 04:38:04 AM »
I like how each time the 'hosts' ask the 'expert' how the games for the new systems are different than games for current systems, he more or less says 'just better graphics and sound, but basically the same' (although they now have "100's of hours of gameplay!" :wink:).  :P

And both games being demoed were already on Sega Master System looking and playing more or less the same, only cruder.

If the marketers only wanted to push the aesthetic upgrade with 16-bit, that'd be a good way to do it, if they ran 8-bit titles side by side next to 16-bit versions.

But for a TV spot like that, where the games are only run on monitors and filmed from a distance, they should've used more original titles like Side Arms and Altered Beast. It'd still push the 'arcade-at-home' message, but would justify the purchase of new hardware to play titles that weren't already available at home.

Any kid who had a loser friend with a SMS would've thought that those games didn't look any different than what they played last weekend at his New Kids on the Block themed birthday party.

I also liked how they teased the kids in the audience by pretending like they were actually going to let one of them try the new video games, but instead 'chose' the previously handpicked kid who was already sitiing outside the audience at the edge of the stage.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 07:56:59 AM »
Any kid who had a loser friend with a SMS would've thought that those games didn't look any different than what they played last weekend at his New Kids on the Block themed birthday party.
Screw New Kids, it's all about Color Me Badd.  8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 01:45:42 PM »
Oh, you mean that group that consists of George Michael, Kenny G, Milli, & one other guy?

Keranu

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 02:19:47 PM »
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 02:22:54 PM »
Those guys aren't badd.  They're pure evill!

Keranu

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 02:24:20 PM »
Especially the Paulie Shore-lookin one that the arrow on the cover is pointing to!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
That's Kenny the G, you heathen!  He knows how to blow.

esteban

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »
I like how each time the 'hosts' ask the 'expert' how the games for the new systems are different than games for current systems, he more or less says 'just better graphics and sound, but basically the same' (although they now have "100's of hours of gameplay!" :wink:).  :P

And both games being demoed were already on Sega Master System looking and playing more or less the same, only cruder.

If the marketers only wanted to push the aesthetic upgrade with 16-bit, that'd be a good way to do it, if they ran 8-bit titles side by side next to 16-bit versions.

But for a TV spot like that, where the games are only run on monitors and filmed from a distance, they should've used more original titles like Side Arms and Altered Beast. It'd still push the 'arcade-at-home' message, but would justify the purchase of new hardware to play titles that weren't already available at home.

I also liked how they teased the kids in the audience by pretending like they were actually going to let one of them try the new video games, but instead 'chose' the previously handpicked kid who was already sitiing outside the audience at the edge of the stage.  :P
I think they wanted to have recognizable franchises shown. Space Harrier and R-Type were very well known, even some parents might have recognized the names since they were established in the arcade and on consoles already. Of all the launch titles, I can see why NEC and Sega chose those games. No, I don't think they were the best choices (I wasn't joking when I suggested China Warrior -- at least it would have allowed for some goofy but instantaneous commentary like  "Everybody's HUUUUUUUUUUGE in this game!").

I loved how they discussed the topic of game maps and strategy guides! I have never been a big fan of them myself, but I thought it was kool that they dealt with the issue in a pretty fairm-handed manner.

Anyway, "thank you" to the person who started this thread because I loved watching this clip. I had never heard of / seen this Nickolodean show before. Good stuff.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »

Yeah, the arrow points to Kenny G, with Milli(of Milli Vanilli), George Michael, & I'm not sure who the guy on the right is.  It was supposed to be some kind of pop super group in the 90's, I think they had a couple of hits, but, faded out.  So, they're now back doing there solo projects.

handygrafx

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »

Anyway, "thank you" to the person who started this thread because I loved watching this clip. I had never heard of / seen this Nickolodean show before. Good stuff.

you're most welcome.  I watched Total Panic almost religiously in late 89, through spring 1990. 
After the show was canceled/ended, I pretty much stopped watching Nickelodeon.

There are two other short clips of Total Panic clips on YouTube. they're somewhat chopped up because the tape had been used to record other crap.   The more worthwhile clip is of Forgotten Worlds on Genesis and TurboGrafx R-Type.  The narration by Greg Lee ( i think that's him)  is friggin' hilarious.