Author Topic: Cosmic Fantasy 2 mystery guest question  (Read 719 times)

offsidewing

Re: Cosmic Fantasy 2 mystery guest question
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 03:14:56 AM »
I've always wondered how the subsequent sequels related to the one US offering.

Are Van/Babs/Annie playable in CF3 or CF4 pt 1??

runinruder

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 04:03:13 AM »
CF3 focuses on new characters while CF4-1 focuses on Yuu (Cobra) and Saya.  Van and Rimu make appearances but they don't play central roles.  CF4-2 is where they really shine. 

CF3 is great, CF4-2 is great, CF4-1 stinks. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

kenomac78

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 05:18:33 AM »
i had always hoped for a rmake box set of the complete cosmic fantasy, much like that or lunar. so long as its made in the next 50 years i can stll play it and be happy!

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 01:06:40 PM »
i had always hoped for a rmake box set of the complete cosmic fantasy, much like that or lunar. so long as its made in the next 50 years i can stll play it and be happy!

Cosmic Fantasy Stories Mega-CD is a remix/remake of the first two games. I'm guessing that CF2 doesn't get changed as much as CF1 though.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

kenomac78

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
i knew about CF stories. and the design of CF1 is painfully weak compared to the later ones. I used to wonder why  working designs chose 2 and not 1 , then i played 1.

what i dream of is a playstation boxset with all 4 games in english, remade and redesigned. but from what i hear telnet japan is no more. and WD proved even getting a relatively  new  game put out , like growlanser, was a big ordeal for them.  so now lets just hope that someday the mythical "100% complete" version of CF3 shows up.  if atari 2600 game protos from companies that existed for only a year or so can be unearthed after 20 years, theres hope for anything

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »
There is no english version of CF 3, & there never was.  If sometime, one does show up, I'll deny we ever had this conversation :dance:

As for Telenet, if I understand correctly, they are a part of Bandai Namco now, or atleast Wolf Team is.

WD was considering brining CF1 out here, at a cheaper price, like $30.

kenomac78

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »
thats why i said MYTHICAL. though there has to be a somewhat translated CF3 somewhere. working designs admitted it was nearly ready when cancelled.  but to how much, i dont know.

turbofan1

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »
I think thats always just been an urban legend that Cosmic Fantasy 3 was finished but never released.People have claimed that is guy here is Vic Davis on ebay-http://myworld.ebay.com/gamegenie/.About year or so ago,just for the hell of it I asked him about Cosmic Fantasy 3,World Heroes and king Of Monsters 2.And he responded rather rudely.
So I questioned wether that was actually him or not.

nodtveidt

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »
The mystery of the fat taunting thing on the island has been solved!

And here's the kicker! It's the most amazing thing in the series! This pudgy little guy does...

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

He's merely a solid block! You can't talk to him, walk over him, or anything. He's just one of those useless things that create threads like these years after the game has come and gone, with people scouring for information about what it is or how to get it...and mysteriously, said information never showing up.

Confirmed in both US and JP versions to do absolutely NOTHING.

Mystery solved.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot...if you want to confirm this for yourself, here's what you do...

For best results, have a savegame close to this area, so the party will be correct.
Next, pick up the cf2editor from the Frozen Utopia site (it's a ROM so you'll have to be using an emulator, and if using Magic Engine, use the OLD STYLE bram, NOT the horribly nonstandard new one!).
Now, open 'er up and load your savegame.
Go to PARTY/LOCATION DATA
Enter the following data AFTER MAKING NOTE OF THE INFORMATION THAT IS ALREADY THERE:
---MAP X: A0
---MAP Y: 1D
---MAP ID: 07
Go back to the main menu (press II twice) and save the buffer.
Load CF2.
Load your saved game.
You will appear on the little island with the pudgy bastard.

EDIT2: Oh yeah, about Magic Engine's silly BRAM stuff...

If you're using the new style BRAM, load up your game with the new style BRAM enabled, then do an emulator save state. Quit Magic Engine, switch to the old style BRAM, boot CF2, and load your save state. Then, save in-game at an inn as usual. cf2editor doesn't have access to CF2's save files using the new style BRAM in Magic Engine.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:06:02 PM by nodtveidt »

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 05:04:14 PM »
THANKS USELESS FAT ASS ON THE ISLAND!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 05:15:20 PM »
Oh, I've also been documenting the various map IDs in the game. Takes awhile to do, but well worth the trouble.

Maps 00-0A are the world maps. These are duplicated in 10-1A, 20-2A, and 30-3A for some reason...no idea why. Maps 0B through 0E produced a black screen, but 0F caused an interesting crash.
The towns start at 40. I don't remember some of the names, since it's late and I don't care. :) Here's a listing:

40 - Van's hometown on Clan Isle
41 - Burned town near Van's hometown
42 - Van's hometown with enemy encounters
43 - Town where you find Annie
44 - Setoa
45 - Remlai Castle
46 - Fog, Village Of Oblivion
47 - Tista
48 - Darva's place
49 - Toruano
4A - Justa
4B - Viora's house
4D - Harp's Hamlet
4E - Joshua's town
4F - Tyrun
50 - Marla's house
51 - Town south of Tyrun
52 - Town before Nova's place
53 - Toto Village
54 - Bara
55 - Ein
56 - Rebel base camp
57 - Reza
58 - Borla
59 - Elba
5A - Resistance headquarters
5B - Setore Town
5C - Algernon in-game cutscene
5D - Laura's house
5E - The Algernon

4C produces the same kind of thing as 0B-0E. I figured it was simply removed from the US version, but it's also missing in the JP version. 5F is Annie's House in the future, but the events seem to be broken.

The dungeons seem to start at 60. 60 I know is the small cave between the first area and the second area on the world map (both part of map 00). I'll get to documenting the rest of the maps now.

This all makes a good break from coding MSR. :D

nodtveidt

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 06:09:59 PM »
Okay, here's the rest of the areas:

60 - Cave south of the starting village
61 - Cave under the sea
62 - Amon-ta's cave
63 - Dullard Town
64 - Cerum's cave
65 - Dungeon leading to Harp's Hamlet
66 - Cavern north of Darva's place
67 - Digin's Fortress
68 - Galam's Tower
69 - Tyrun Dungeon
6A - Selena's cave
6B - Nova's mansion
6C - Major Payne's Castle
6D - Ice Cave
6E - Ein's Test
6F - Goddess Cave
70 - Mountain path
71 - Haunted Castle
73 - Same as 66 but 20 years later
74 - Remlai Castle 20 years later
75 - Vega's underground fortress
76 - Galam's Castle

64 and 6E are the same map, so for 6E, you have to set X much higher to actually get to Ein's Test (try X 70, Y 0A). If you set these coordinates on map 64, you will enter the Ein's Test part of the map, but the events won't work, and random encounters from Cerum's cave will pop up.

This stuff is really fun to mess with. :D

EDIT: An interesting tidbit...when the savefile is first created, it sets a map ID of FF, and an X and Y of 00. When you save, it sets map ID to 40, and X and Y to 1A and 0B respectively. Also, modifying X or Y while the map ID is FF has no effect.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:15:51 PM by nodtveidt »

esteban

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »
The mystery of the fat taunting thing on the island has been solved!
Don't you love the fact that they threw this fellow into the game? I love stuff like this. Whether or not he was intended to play some role in the game (only to be abandoned), I love that he's in there.

Are you sure there isn't a special code that unlocks the true answer to the mystery man? :)
  |    |