Author Topic: Which Game Should I play next.  (Read 1679 times)

GUTS

Re: Which Game Should I play next.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 01:50:31 PM »
If "monotonous" and "best in small doses" are the best things you can say about a game, then yeah it's crap.

offsidewing

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
If "monotonous" and "best in small doses" are the best things you can say about a game, then yeah it's crap.

Are there any cheat codes or debug codes for Vasteel?  I remember two things about the game from 1993.

1.  Big Gay AL does the audio descripton for all the bots in the game.

2.  The computer does nothing but crap out grunts.

I do remember the kick ass lido lounge jazz tracks.

Currently Neutopia is dominating the polls, +/- 4%.

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 04:39:59 PM »
Only if you're impatient. But most games in the strategy genre are like that so if you're not into hex strategies, don't bother playing one.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
I like hex strategy games if they're good, like Dark Wizard or Iron Storm.  Besides, I was making the point that even people who _like_ vasteel say it's monotonous and best in small doses, that's not a very good endorsement!

nodtveidt

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »
The problem with Vasteel is there's not enough to break up the pace of the game. Dark Wizard is another game that can get monotonous and is best in small doses, although it does have some downtime (towns, mainly). But strat games aren't really my forté so I'm not the best judge...I'm sure there are people who can sit down in front of Vasteel and play it through in a day.

Speaking of playing through a game in a day...I played through Ys I & II today in just over 7 hours...virtually non-stop.

offsidewing: if you decide to go with Neutopia and you need any pointers/tips/help, just ask me...the game's #1 on my list of faves and I know it inside and out.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 11:24:05 PM »
Far East of Eden/Tengai Makyo: Fuun Kabuki Den.

I haven't played such a great RPG in I don't know how long. I'm at the halfway point and some of my previous efforts are on YouTube.

< For those who don't know, the guy in my avatar is Zeami, one of the game's characters.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 11:26:04 PM by Ninja Spirit »

offsidewing

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 03:07:32 AM »
offsidewing: if you decide to go with Neutopia and you need any pointers/tips/help, just ask me...the game's #1 on my list of faves and I know it inside and out.

Sweet.  If my June/July 1990 issue of Turboplay lets me down, I'll drop you a line.  The mag has a Neutopia strategy guide.

GUTS

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 07:22:47 AM »
Man I remember VG&CE's walkthrough of neutopia II spread out over a few issues, that was awesome.  One of these days I'm going to pony up and buy a complete run of VG&CE, that was the best magazine of all time.

esteban

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
Personally, I'd go with Vasteel, because it rocks, but if you're not feeling it (i.e., not in the mood for it), then go for Neutopia: it's nice and simple and you'll appreciate it a lot more if you finish it before moving on to bigger and grander games like Tengai Makyo / Kabuki Den.

Do not listen to GUTS, he just doesn't like Vasteel. :)

If you do play Vasteel, you can choose to have PSG or Red Book sountrack, plus you should choose manual controls for the action sequences.
  |    | 

offsidewing

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 05:13:56 AM »
Personally, I'd go with Vasteel, because it rocks, but if you're not feeling it (i.e., not in the mood for it), then go for Neutopia: it's nice and simple and you'll appreciate it a lot more if you finish it before moving on to bigger and grander games like Tengai Makyo / Kabuki Den.

Do not listen to GUTS, he just doesn't like Vasteel. :)

If you do play Vasteel, you can choose to have PSG or Red Book sountrack, plus you should choose manual controls for the action sequences.

I think Vasteel will be the "filler" game I play.  I can imagine it takes a long while to play regardless. 

I actually think I'm going to fire up Ys I and II.  I was putting that off for a while, but it does require some time investment.  I will save Neutopia for when I have less time to dedicate towards games.  Simply because there is no leveling required in Neup. 

nodtveidt

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
I played through Ys I & II the other day and invested just over 7 hours from beginning to end. Of course, it helps that I know it inside and out... :D

offsidewing

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 03:34:11 AM »
I played through Ys I & II the other day and invested just over 7 hours from beginning to end. Of course, it helps that I know it inside and out... :D

Yeah, I played for 3 hours last night, with some decent leveling and gold farming, and I'm already in Darm.  It's been eight or nine years, but once I got into the Mine, I knew right where to go.

Man that game has a FANTASTIC soundtrack. 

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:28 AM »
Whoa you are already at the last boss from only playing three hours? Did you enter a password that gave you full experience points and gold to start with?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 11:03:49 AM »
Yeah, I played for 3 hours last night, with some decent leveling and gold farming, and I'm already in Darm. 

As in Darm Tower, Keranu.  And you call yourself a PC Engine fan.  [-(  ...........  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 11:13:51 AM »
OH, I thought he meant Darm is in the last boss!