Author Topic: Which Game Should I play next.  (Read 1677 times)

esteban

Re: Which Game Should I play next.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 05:20:57 PM »
I played through Ys I & II the other day and invested just over 7 hours from beginning to end. Of course, it helps that I know it inside and out... :D
Man that game has a FANTASTIC soundtrack. 
The best of all time. One of my favorite parts of the game is later, when the ruddy-red clouds are rushing past and the death knells are a-soundin'. Everything is perfect.
  |    | 

offsidewing

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »
Yeah, I played for 3 hours last night, with some decent leveling and gold farming, and I'm already in Darm. 

As in Darm Tower, Keranu.  And you call yourself a PC Engine fan.  [-(  ...........  :P

You know, I may be called every Turbo-bad name in the book for this, but I like the Ys IV version of the Darm Tower song just slightly more that the original.  Maybe because I have this affinity for when Robert Smith just adds some horns to a Cure song and calls it a "Dizzy "X" remix,"  but I just like the cheesy Ys IV horn version.

Right as the instrumentation begins to build in the song and I expect to hear the horns blow like a Michael Anthony bass blast from the eighties, I get the squealing git-ar solo and I'm just ever so slightly dissappointed.  Of course the original hook is not without it's charm or is in any way diminished.

It might also have to do with the fact that my current favorite album is the Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess recordings.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »
Yeah, I played for 3 hours last night, with some decent leveling and gold farming, and I'm already in Darm. 

As in Darm Tower, Keranu.  And you call yourself a PC Engine fan.  [-(  ...........  :P

You know, I may be called every Turbo-bad name in the book for this, but I like the Ys IV version of the Darm Tower song just slightly more that the original.  Maybe because I have this affinity for when Robert Smith just adds some horns to a Cure song and calls it a "Dizzy "X" remix,"  but I just like the cheesy Ys IV horn version.

Right as the instrumentation begins to build in the song and I expect to hear the horns blow like a Michael Anthony bass blast from the eighties, I get the squealing git-ar solo and I'm just ever so slightly dissappointed.  Of course the original hook is not without it's charm or is in any way diminished.

It might also have to do with the fact that my current favorite album is the Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess recordings.

I've always loved the Ys 4 version more!

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 06:52:08 PM »
Nah it's cool, the Ys IV remix of Darm Tower sounds great. It has a lot more groove and funk to it, which is down with me. Though I still prefer the original as I found it more fitting and for it's total 80's-ness :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »
OH, I thought he meant Darm is in the last boss!

That's what I figured, but if offsidewing was in Darm......  I don't want to think about it.  :shock:

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'm partial to the original version of the Tower tune as well.  The Ys IV remix is good stuff, but the original just tastes better.  There's no need to hammer anyone's appreciation for the Ys IV version though, as it's still Ys (and therefor great).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 10:18:31 AM »
You guys are keeerazy! Only http://www.digitalsloth.net/ys/tower.mp3
is worth listening to! Phuggin' awesome.

While we're at it, let's listen to the unused, original Ys IV tower song. It doesn't get much more awesome than this. http://www.digitalsloth.net/ys/files/Ys_4_X68000_Tower.mp3
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:25:47 AM by Seldane »

offsidewing

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 10:35:28 AM »
While we're at it, let's listen to the unused, original Ys IV tower song. It doesn't get much more awesome than this. MEGA-CLICK!!

Streets of Rage my ass, that tune is nice...

And I just picked up a Blue hemp Necklace from a guy named Rasta...

FM-77

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 10:56:28 AM »
Rasta? That's some mistranslation! His name is supposed to be Raba. :P

offsidewing

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 03:33:33 AM »

I'd call it a localization.

However, in the immortal words of The Comic Book Guy in response to a patron asking about Rick Hunter stuff, "It's Hikaru Ichijo, you ignoramous."

**I'm just quoting the blissfully clever Simpsons quote, not calling anyone a name.**

esteban

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 04:22:11 PM »
Actually, it's supposed to be "Baba"... or, even more precisely "Barbar".

|    | 

offsidewing

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 12:29:48 AM »
Perhaps it's Shabba, and he's Mister Lover-Lover, Mister Boomtastic.

FM-77

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 01:22:29 AM »

Maybe Babar? Did you have Babar in USA? :P

offsidewing

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 01:30:19 AM »

Maybe Babar? Did you have Babar in USA? :P

Hell yeah.  It's the only good thing to come out of France in over 100 years!

However, in that translation to 'merica, I'm glad Celeste is just his friend.

GUTS

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »
Holy shit I forgot how awesome the Darm Tower music was.  Are there any badass remixes out there, like any metal versions?

Keranu

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 09:44:35 AM »
If you have one of the Ys animes on DVD, I forget which one (I think the second DVD for Ys I), it includes a live music video from the JDK band performing it. I don't think it's very metalish, but the video was really 80's and cool!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).