Author Topic: Playing the GT outside  (Read 450 times)

Spector

Playing the GT outside
« on: May 20, 2007, 06:20:48 AM »
I've managed to get my hands on a PC Engine GT, and it's in excellent nick: no dead pixels, loud speaker and good physical condition. It's got a great screen... for playing inside. If it's a nice day and I decide to go for some portable PC Engine gaming, I find I can't see the screen at all, or it's barely visible. I thought the point of handhelds was that you could take it outdoors, but only on a dimly lit evening can you get a clear view of the screen.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the GT can be played outside without the bright daylight obscuring the view?
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

esteban

Re: Playing the GT outside
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 07:00:00 AM »
Well, not even today's fancy laptops work well outside or in sunny places. You might be able to find a goofy old sun shield they used to sell for the Gameboy... while it won't clip onto the PCE GT, you might find a way to tape it on (or use a rubber band). The shield has three sides, and usually the vertical sides are tapered...

Actually, it coudn't hurt to make a ghetto sunshield out of cardboard and see if it helps, then try ordering a plastic GB shield.

Otherwise, get a parasol!
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:08:47 AM »
Try holding it upright so it's point at level with your face rather than pointing upwards at the sky.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

grahf

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »
You know, this is the one reason I still keep my gameboy color. The screen works fantastic in the sun. There are a bunch of great games for it I still play.

nat

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 10:53:32 AM »
Try holding it upright so it's point at level with your face rather than pointing upwards at the sky.

Note that this only works if your name is Strongarm McGee.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the GT can be played outside without the bright daylight obscuring the view?

Cloudy and/or rainy days never sounded so appealing!

FM-77

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »
No handheld is playable in the sun, not even the PSP with its madly strong backlight.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:48:16 AM »
Like stevek666 said, LCDs and direct sunlight do not mix.  Check out the fold up Lynx II sun visor.  It's pretty kick ass, and it's too bad that the Express didn't get a similar beast.  Otherwise, playing Parasol Stars under a parasol sounds fun and gay (as in merry, not homo..... well, a little homo).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 06:15:45 AM »
No handheld is playable in the sun, not even the PSP with its madly strong backlight.

I believe most handhelds are made with the premise in mind that if you're going to be outside, you'd being doing something other than thumb exercises and sporting a piercing gaze at a 3 or 4 inch screen.  Or it could just be a limitation to back lit LCDs.

Although when work gets out of hand and I've had to fire up the laptop poolside/oceanside while on vacation, nothing blocks out sun better than a towel over the head and screen.  You'll look like a dork doing this, but no bigger than one already looks playing video games (or using a laptop) outside.  :D   

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »
Otherwise, playing Parasol Stars under a parasol sounds fun and gay (as in merry, not homo..... well, a little homo).
I don't mean to sound like a queer or nothing, but that sounds SWEET!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Spector

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:41:35 AM »
You know, this is the one reason I still keep my gameboy color. The screen works fantastic in the sun. There are a bunch of great games for it I still play.

That's right- both the original GB's had a reflective LCD display which made them better outside than inside. People go on about how crap the GB screen was compared to the GT and Lynx, but it was the only handheld that was practical. Small, portable, long battery life and a screen that could genuinely be used on the move: it deserved to win the handheld war without question.

guyjin

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »

That's right- both the original GB's had a reflective LCD display which made them better outside than inside. People go on about how crap the GB screen was compared to the GT and Lynx, but it was the only handheld that was practical. Small, portable, long battery life and a screen that could genuinely be used on the move: it deserved to win the handheld war without question.

The Wonderswan's screen is the same way.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 11:00:14 AM »
The NGPC has a great screen too for playing outside and inside with. It even works really well with dim lighting!

nat

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 11:34:20 AM »
...such as the lighting in the restaurant used for the NGPC dinner date.

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »
...such as the lighting in the restaurant used for the NGPC dinner date.
Pricesly.

Spector

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 07:12:31 PM »

The Wonderswan's screen is the same way.

The Wonderswan has a reflective LCD screen too? I don't know much about it, except that it's a console that favours RPG type games more than arcade action, which seems ill-advised for a handheld.