Author Topic: Organizational Methods  (Read 1360 times)

offsidewing

Re: Organizational Methods
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
My case of US manuals

Gotta Soldier Blade manual in there you want to see me for $1??

MrFulci

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:15:14 PM »
No, only a sinlge Soldier Blade Manual in there. It has a Video Nation sticker on it anyway, hah. It's on there pretty nice. Out of 50 or so Video nation Stickers on these manuals, about 10 would not budge without taking some of the mnaual with it. The other peeled off fine, not even a mark. Once I'd start peeling and see it was goign to take some of the rear cover with it, I'd just stick the sticker back in place. still, 80% of stickers removed with no marks is a good score.

offsidewing, if you're interested in the manual just for reading it, I can scan it sometime and send you a link to the scans.

That's something else I've done before, scan manuals at a high dpi, resize them to be larger than the CD manual, and print out certain pages. By doing so I don't have to shuffle through a small CD-book. It also allows me to make notes pretty easily. Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a game I did that with in 2004 or so.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

TR0N

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 03:24:17 PM »
I got no order period i just keep my (TG16/PCE) games on the bookself.

Beside when my, Duo-r isn't in use or my coregrafx+scdr2 there keep in the plastic bin.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

offsidewing

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
Right now I have the Turbo and the PCE releases kept separate, but right next to each other like stablemates. 

I organize the Turbo game as: hucards by orange spine, colored spine, then CD's by color-coded spine and Super CD/CDrom spine.  Yellow Spine CD's, if I choose to reacquire, will separate hucard from CDs.

My small collection from across the Pacific is broken down by Hucards, RomRam, then CD-Roms, then Super CD's, and finally Arcade CDs.

My CD-Rs are just kinda lumped together in another pile.

Turbo D

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »
I just do mine alphabetically

akamichi

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 09:12:19 PM »
When I first started, I kept my games in the order that I bought them.  As time went on, and several moves later, that order got messed up and then I just started keeping the HuCards and CDs separate but no particular order.  A few years ago, I had all my games in Japanese alphabetical order, but that only lasted until I moved in 2003 or so.

Right now all my PCE games are unorganized in bins waiting for the time when I'll have a chance to put them in Japanese alphabetical order again.  This time it'll be ordered by HuCards, CDs, SCDs, ACDs.  I'll probably keep everything in the bins, but it'd be nice to have everything on a bookshelf though.

nat

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 03:55:02 AM »
I just do mine alphabetically

Me too. Japan/American games all mixed, alphabetically. Anyone who seperates games based on region or medium is a doofus.

I actually have a special cabinet for my Turbo games that my dad made as a gift back in like 1992. I'll post pics later....

I did print up translated case spines to make it easier for my non-Japanese eyes.

Me too. For the HuCards that don't have a normal CD jewel case, I've stuck labels over the original with clear tape.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 04:48:30 AM »
Another doofus up in this biaatch! :p

>US Hucard boxes
>CDROM2
>Super CDROM 2
>The Japanese cases that say just HuCard
>The "Namcot" cases
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:59:11 AM by Ninja Spirit »

nat

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 06:56:44 AM »

For me it makes absolutely no sense to organize by region and/or medium.

Isn't the whole idea of organization to keep things neat & easy to find?

I don't know about anybody else, but when I want to play a game, I have a real good idea in my mind going in what game it is I want to play.

I'm not thinking,

"Today I want to play a Japanese HuCard by Hudson that sports a pink 'HuCard' logo on the spine!"

or

"Today I'm gonna beat one of my SuperCDs, but CD-ROM^2s are definitely OUT!"

or even

"Let me pop in a US HuCard game that doesn't have an orange spine label!"

For me, when I get the irk to play a game, I'm thinking

"I want to wear the Nova Suit in Keith Courage!"

or

"The Bydo Empire doesn't stand a chance against THESE guns!"

or even

"Oui Oui Jumbo is a PANSY!"

And then I can quickly find my game of choice because my games are all lined up alphabetically. I'm not wasting precious time I could be playing said game worrying about silly subcategories and pink & orange spine labels.

That is why anybody with overly elaborate organization schemes is a doofus, or possibly just a super-geek.

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 08:51:01 AM »

>US Hucard boxes
>CDROM2
>Super CDROM 2
>The Japanese cases that say just HuCard
>The "Namcot" cases

Very interesting that you seperate the Namcot cases.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

offsidewing

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »

=;
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.  For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

I have a collection of games, so accessibility in order to accommodate my desire to play is secondary.  I want my collection of games to be aesthetically pleasing to me when I look at it, because really, all you do with a collection of anything is look at it.

Some people organize by release date, some by publisher, others organize by favorites titles.  If there is no reason to have games other than to play them (yes, this sounds painfully contrary to owning video games in the first place) then having a complicated organizational would seem ridiculous.

But, since there are so many iterations of the Turbo and PCE software (and hardware), it would be a shame not to organize them accordingly.   :lol:

Normally at this point I'd make some lurid and highly evolved comment about carnal gratification, but unfortunately the forum owner doesn't seem to appreciate my candor.  So I will refrain.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:55:48 AM by offsidewing »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »
Quote from: Keranu

Very interesting that you seperate the Namcot cases.

I always separate Namco from Namcot. 

nat

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 11:29:27 AM »

I want my collection of games to be aesthetically pleasing to me when I look at it, because really, all you do with a collection of anything is look at it.

:shock:

Or, uh, PLAY it.

If I wanted a collection of something to look at I'd collect stamps or paintings or something.

If there is no reason to have games other than to play them (yes, this sounds painfully contrary to owning video games in the first place) then having a complicated organizational would seem ridiculous.

Playing is surely the primary reason I own video games. Having cool novelty items is a distant second.

But, since there are so many iterations of the Turbo and PCE software (and hardware), it would be a shame not to organize them accordingly.   :lol:

Only if your name is TurboCollector McGeek.  :lol:

I suppose you're now going to tell me I'm weird for keeping my games hidden and out of the way in a special drawer rather than have my collection on display under glass.

Tatsujin

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »
you guys are such tricky :clap:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 01:45:49 PM »
I keep my CoreGrafx-16 games away from my PC-Engine games.  Next to those are the games for my ShuttleGrafx-16.