Author Topic: Organizational Methods  (Read 1356 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Organizational Methods
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
Quote from: Keranu

Very interesting that you seperate the Namcot cases.

I always separate Namco from Namcot. 
there was no namco for home at that time.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2007, 03:08:21 PM »
Yes there was.  Who released Marvel Land for the Genesis?  And Rolling Thunder?  And Phelios?

The "T" at the end of "Namcot" stood for "Terrible".

offsidewing

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 04:25:22 PM »
I suppose you're now going to tell me I'm weird for keeping my games hidden and out of the way in a special drawer rather than have my collection on display under glass.

I never take anything anyone says in this forum personally, nor do I ever call someone a name for doing something contrary to the way I do it (or think it should be done).

And no, I don't think you're weird.  I think you're the coolest Turbo enthusiast I've ever read and the rest of this forum is just simple-minded members of society and human evolution for not emulating everything you do with your amassed wealth of Turbo and PCE games.

We all need Magic Nat Engine 3.5 to understand how your highly developed TG-16 mind operates.  Perhaps after many hours of emulation we'd understand the mind of a true Rhodes Laureat Rocket Surgeon.

Do you translate your english games into Japanese before you alphabetize them, or Japanese to English?

nat

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »

We all need Magic Nat Engine 3.5 to understand how your highly developed TG-16 mind operates.  Perhaps after many hours of emulation we'd understand the mind of a true Rhodes Laureat Rocket Surgeon.

Now you're getting it!  :dance:

BTW, version 4.0 is on the verge of release. Stay tuned.

Do you translate your english games into Japanese before you alphabetize them, or Japanese to English?

I use the English names for games when alphabetizing them... Usually I'll print new spine labels for games without labels already in English. Truthfully, I'm not exactly fluent at reading Japanese.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:42:26 PM by nat »

esteban

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 04:50:48 PM »
offsidewing started to explain why organization by region or medium is useful, but I'll continue, because nat is a goofball and I feel like obliging him.

For me it makes absolutely no sense to organize by region and/or medium.

Isn't the whole idea of organization to keep things neat & easy to find?

I don't know about anybody else, but when I want to play a game, I have a real good idea in my mind going in what game it is I want to play.

That is why anybody with overly elaborate organization schemes is a doofus, or possibly just a super-geek.
I like to organize stuff by genre because I most often find myself "in the mood" for a particular genre. I segregate HuCards from CD's because I have PCE GT / TGExpress / Coregrafx / TG-16 systems that are HuCard-only (no, I do not leave TG-CD or DUO hooked up at all times... and I often bring HuCard-only systems over to my friends/family).

But even more importantly, I have never confused HuCard vs. CD titles (that is, I never ask myself, "was that a CD game, or was it a HuCard?"), so the HuCard / CD dichotomy is a great way to simplify things.

Clearly, I do this because it is the most intuitive, most logical way I can organize my library so I can find stuff FAST. I often forget about what titles I have, so I take advantage of organizational shortcuts. If I'm in the mood for a shooter (sorry, shoot-emm-up), I've often found myself browsing HuCard shooters and saying "Holy crap, I haven't played Rock On! in a long time. Woo Hoo!". Then I grab some NES, SMS, etc. carts from their respective shooter sections and I'm happy.

Honestly, this is the most intuitive system for me. The only problem is that there are games don't want to be pigeon-holed in one genre... but this isn't anything to worry about.

:)
  |    | 

Kitsunexus

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »
Right Click > Arrange Icons By > Auto Arrange

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 05:47:39 PM »
A-Z straight up!  Word.  That's how I do it will all my games for all systems.  And any game that doesn't have a regular case, I make one for it.  Whether it be ones that were released in the later years in the US, I print up a back insert, or if they are in double cd cases, I find a way to find them neatly in a single case.

Tatsujin

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »
Yes there was.  Who released Marvel Land for the Genesis?  And Rolling Thunder?  And Phelios?
but not in japan. but who cares?

The "T" at the end of "Namcot" stood for "Terrible".
yes, almost.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

nat

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »
offsidewing started to explain why organization by region or medium is useful, but I'll continue, because nat is a goofball and I feel like obliging him.

I just like to stir the pot, what can I say?

Steve, you DA MAN!!  :clap:

I like to organize stuff by genre because I most often find myself "in the mood" for a particular genre. I segregate HuCards from CD's because I have PCE GT / TGExpress / Coregrafx / TG-16 systems that are HuCard-only (no, I do not leave TG-CD or DUO hooked up at all times... and I often bring HuCard-only systems over to my friends/family).

Good call-- I can see the merit here. Wouldn't be a system efficient for me because I have a TG-CD and SuperGrafx-CD hooked up at all times... But I see the advantage in your case.

But even more importantly, I have never confused HuCard vs. CD titles (that is, I never ask myself, "was that a CD game, or was it a HuCard?"), so the HuCard / CD dichotomy is a great way to simplify things.

I'm known for having an incredibly short memory when it comes to important things such as names, dates, places, directions, and what TurboGrafx titles are HuCards vs. CDs.

Like you, I often forget what games I own, but to make matters worse, I also tend to forget whether they are CD or cart games, especially if they haven't seen any screen time in a while.

Except for Keith Courage. I will never mistake Keith Courage for a CD game. Ever.

Clearly, I do this because it is the most intuitive, most logical way I can organize my library so I can find stuff FAST.

Obviously, your system makes a bit of sense... Especially to you. As a matter of fact, you are completely driving my point home here. I can find stuff fastest with all my game libraries organized from A to Z. I seperate by console, that's it. I consider the PCE/Turbo to be the same console. I do, however, seperate SuperGrafx games since I can't play those on my TurboGrafx. I've given thought to integrating them, though. Your system sounds optimal for your setup. I might emply something similar if I didn't have a CD console hooked up at all times.

That said, my comments were directed towards those who seperate games into extremely weird categories such as "all HuCard games with orange spine labels" or "all Japanese HuCards with a pink HuCard logo". I can't see by any stretch of the imagination how such tactics enhance one's ability to find a game quickly. Unless, as offsidewing suggested, your motives are not to easily browse your catalog but rather to have a pretty display to show off on your shelf. Or you're the Memory Man.

For the record, I'm an extremely dry and sarcastic person. Sometimes that tone doesn't translate well over a message board. I don't necessarily think someone is a doofus for utilizing such silly organization systems (OK maybe a little). Those types of comments are intended more as an invite for someone to jump in and explain why they do things the way they do.

A-Z straight up!  Word.  That's how I do it will all my games for all systems.  And any game that doesn't have a regular case, I make one for it.  Whether it be ones that were released in the later years in the US, I print up a back insert, or if they are in double cd cases, I find a way to find them neatly in a single case.

Ay-ta-Zed fo LIFE bee-yotch!

offsidewing

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »
For the record, I'm an extremely dry and sarcastic person. Sometimes that tone doesn't translate well over a message board.

You and me both!  If I can ever figure out a way to being clever w/o being sarcastic and plagaristic in written form, I'll let you know, and we can both retire as billionaires.

And how good can a forum be without our best man inside, stirring the pot?  (Who?  Jack Burton!)

Sadly, I am both offsidewing and the memory man.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:03:44 PM by offsidewing »

esteban

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »

I was teasing you :). I actually enjoy reading your posts and the points you make are very sound :).

This thread would not have been as fun to read if you hadn't contributed to it.

Back on topic (well, not really):

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I've been using business-card binders to hold my HuCards in "current rotation". It is just a simple and convenient way to keep track of (and transport) the games I've been playing. I tend to do the same thing with CD games.

I recycled these images from an old post.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

Steve, you DA MAN!!  :clap:

Good call-- I can see the merit here. Wouldn't be a system efficient for me because I have a TG-CD and SuperGrafx-CD hooked up at all times... But I see the advantage in your case.

I'm known for having an incredibly short memory when it comes to important things such as names, dates, places, directions, and what TurboGrafx titles are HuCards vs. CDs.

Like you, I often forget what games I own, but to make matters worse, I also tend to forget whether they are CD or cart games, especially if they haven't seen any screen time in a while.

Except for Keith Courage. I will never mistake Keith Courage for a CD game. Ever.

Clearly, I do this because it is the most intuitive, most logical way I can organize my library so I can find stuff FAST.

Obviously, your system makes a bit of sense... Especially to you. As a matter of fact, you are completely driving my point home here. I can find stuff fastest with all my game libraries organized from A to Z. I seperate by console, that's it. I consider the PCE/Turbo to be the same console. I do, however, seperate SuperGrafx games since I can't play those on my TurboGrafx. I've given thought to integrating them, though. Your system sounds optimal for your setup. I might emply something similar if I didn't have a CD console hooked up at all times.

That said, my comments were directed towards those who seperate games into extremely weird categories such as "all HuCard games with orange spine labels" or "all Japanese HuCards with a pink HuCard logo". I can't see by any stretch of the imagination how such tactics enhance one's ability to find a game quickly. Unless, as offsidewing suggested, your motives are not to easily browse your catalog but rather to have a pretty display to show off on your shelf. Or you're the Memory Man.

For the record, I'm an extremely dry and sarcastic person. Sometimes that tone doesn't translate well over a message board. I don't necessarily think someone is a doofus for utilizing such silly organization systems (OK maybe a little). Those types of comments are intended more as an invite for someone to jump in and explain why they do things the way they do.

Ay-ta-Zed fo LIFE bee-yotch!

Ineasted of me saying that's how I do it, I should've said that's how I roll :lol:

nat

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:59 AM »
Ineasted of me saying that's how I do it, I should've said that's how I roll :lol:

That'z how we roll up in dis bitch!

offsidewing

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 05:19:52 AM »
Rollin' down the street, smokin' (smokin') sippin on Gin and Juice, BEE-OTCH!

With my mind on my Turbo and my Turbo on my mind...

Ah, Real Compton City G's...

Black Tiger

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »
I keep all my HuCards in sportscard binders, 4 per page. One binder for PCE and one for Turbo. I need to get more though, since they're both too thick.

I put all my Turbo Super CDs together and try to arrange them by spine color, followed by Working Designs SCDs.

Same deal with Turbo CD2's, but I put FS & ML first, then the Valis style cases by color, then Working Desings, the PCE style CD2's.

I keep the highest evolved formats higher on a shelf or first in a row.

So ACDs are at the top of my PCE rack, then SCDs, then CD2's, then HuCards.

I arrange PCE games by specialness, mainly by favoriteness. But pricey titles get bumped up so I can keep track of where they are. Questy/RPGs get ranked highest because they're my favorite genre, then actiony/platformy stuff(since it feels more questy than the rest), then shooters, then games I'd actually play, then the junk like mahjong and sports.

So Drac X, Snatcher and Winds are in the top batch of SCDs. Further along past the favorites things tend to get be grouped by genre after that by the scale above.

Ys games are on the Ys bookcase and Tengai Makyou games are on the Tengai Makyou bookcase.

I start the HuCards with System Card and Tennokoe Bank cases, then all CD style HuCard cases, then favoriteness until it averages out by matching spines.

Back in the day, I kept all double disc cases together. Which was tough, since racks that held them were hard to find.

Right now most of my Turbo/PCE games are on my two tall narrow Ikea CD rack towers.

The HuCard binders-

I need more binders and pages  :?

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum