Author Topic: Highest on-screen colors screenshot  (Read 985 times)

Black Tiger

Highest on-screen colors screenshot
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
What are some of the highest number-of-colors-on-screen-at-once screenshots that you can find?

Anyone know of any PC Engine games that display 100+ colors at a time?

From memory, I believe that Xanadu II's boss fights are 90'ish and thats around as high as I've counted for any PCE game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

awack

Re: Highest on-screen colors screenshot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:04:06 PM »
Some of the highest color counts i know of are for beyond shadowgate, you can get 100+ colors.
Fatal fury 2/special..mai's stage is also very high,i cant remember the count tho.
There are many other duo games with 80+ on screen colors like rondo of blood, lords of thunder, ai cho aniki, ect.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »
The highest I've found in any official game is for Tokimeki Memorial, in which I found a screenshot that displays 124 colors on screen! I want to see someone else beat my find of that many colors in an official released game 8) . A couple other screenshots from the game that I counted ranged from 70 - 122. Another high colored screenshot I found was a map in Bomberman Panic Bomber, which displayed 101.

As far as nonofficial games go, Chris Covell's new puzzle game displays a crap load of colors, like over 200 I believe, not to mention his demos which displayed the entire 512 palette. Mindrec's new PC Gunjing and Xymati games will also be displaying a lot of colors, some of which in the 90's I think, as well as some of our Frozen Utopia games ;) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »
Some of the highest color counts i know of are for beyond shadowgate, you can get 100+ colors.
Fatal fury 2/special..mai's stage is also very high,i cant remember the count tho.
There are many other duo games with 80+ on screen colors like rondo of blood, lords of thunder, ai cho aniki, ect.

Beyond Shadowgate is the least colorful PCE/Turbo game I've ever checked screenshots of. I remember that the bg's are 16 colors of less. What part of the game gets super colorful?

The highest I've found in any official game is for Tokimeki Memorial, in which I found a screenshot that displays 124 colors on screen! I want to see someone else beat my find of that many colors in an official released game 8) . A couple other screenshots from the game that I counted ranged from 70 - 122. Another high colored screenshot I found was a map in Bomberman Panic Bomber, which displayed 101.

As far as nonofficial games go, Chris Covell's new puzzle game displays a crap load of colors, like over 200 I believe, not to mention his demos which displayed the entire 512 palette. Mindrec's new PC Gunjing and Xymati games will also be displaying a lot of colors, some of which in the 90's I think, as well as some of our Frozen Utopia games ;) .

Do you have any uber colorful screenshots from Tokimeki Memorial that you can post Keranu? I won't try beating something until I see proof.  :wink:

Tongue Man's Logic's new menu screens get up over 100 colors, but I'm pretty sure the rest are under 100.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 03:42:20 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »
Don't post JPEGs, they totally mess up the color count (a screen with 12 colors will end up having 7,000 colors when converted to JPG).  Once you have them in that format, there's no going back EVAR!  So start out with the uncompressed stuff.

Use PNG or BMP.

ccovell

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »
Tongue Man's Logic's new menu screens get up over 100 colors, but I'm pretty sure the rest are under 100.

That's not quite true...

There are 126 colours in this shot.

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 04:12:23 PM »
There are some cutscenes in Mysterious Song that are over 50 uniques.

As for "official" games, I took a screenie at one point during Ys 4 that was over 70 uniques.

More colors != better graphics. Food for thought. :)

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »
Do you have any uber colorful screenshots from Tokimeki Memorial that you can post Keranu? I won't try beating something until I see proof.  :wink:

Of course ;)

I got these screenshots from NEC-Ro-Pole, if you guys remember that site. They're from the program the author made which catalogued all of those screenshots.

70 colors

122 colors

And the grand finale, a whopping 124 colors on screen!

Here is the Panic Bomberman screenshot with 100 colors.

Quote from: Black_Tiger
Beyond Shadowgate is the least colorful PCE/Turbo game I've ever checked screenshots of. I remember that the bg's are 16 colors of less. What part of the game gets super colorful?

The screenshots I've checked have over 60 colors on screen and they're not even in the more colorful spots of the game.

This one has 64
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »
Quote from: ccovell

I count 123. 

Quote from: Keranu

70 colors

122 colors

And the grand finale, a whopping 124 colors on screen!

Here is the Panic Bomberman screenshot with 100 colors.

99.  Methinks you are counting the alpha channel in the PNG file as a color.

This one has 64

Anyway I know this thread is about the PC Engine, but I just want to agree with the person who said that more colors doesn't necessarily mean better graphics.  Take a look at Toy Story for the Sega Genesis:

86 colors

105 colors

163 colors

101 colors

ccovell

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 02:51:02 AM »
Quote from: ccovell

I count 123. 
Okay, 123 it is then.  I'm still happy with it.

...Take a look at Toy Story for the Sega Genesis:
That's pretty impressive - technically.  How do they manage that?  Shadow/Highlight mode?

FM-77

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:54:06 AM »
That is an awesome picture, ccovell. Did you draw it?

termis

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 06:00:05 AM »
123 color count for the Tokimeki Memorial screenshot is letdown  The street scene looks good, but most of the screen is the not-so-exciting mix of green checkerboard and status screens.  Higher color count definitely doesn't necessarily look better.  (Though I still say it's nice to have the option to go higher colors without resorting to all the software tricks!)

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 08:48:43 AM »
It's not exactly displaying all of the PCE's 512 colors on screen at once that makes it such a great feature, but the fact that games practically won't suffer any background or sprite layer color limitation.

FM-77

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 10:07:16 AM »
In my opinion, less colors are almost always better. Many colors usually mean that there's a lot of shading used, and I hate shading! :P

Joe Redifer

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Original GameBoy RULES!  It makes the PC Engine sad.