Author Topic: You knew it was coming...Exile II US vs Japan  (Read 341 times)

nodtveidt

You knew it was coming...Exile II US vs Japan
« on: May 21, 2007, 05:57:35 PM »
So...a long time ago, I decided to check out the Japanese version of Exile and compare it to the US version. What a difference in games that was. So, the other day, I did the same with the Japanese version of the sequel.

Unlike in Exile, where some menus were in English, everything in Exile II is in Japanese. Everything. Fortunately, if you're familiar with the US version, you don't really need to care about this. All you need to know is what items you can buy (you'll get a price for the items a character can buy) and what items to sell (again, price...sell off the cheapest items).

Like the original Exile, stats are way different in the Japanese version. If you found Exile II US hard (and most do), you're in for a treat here...Exile II Japan is exceptionally easy in retrospect. For example...the very first area, you can be killed in two hits in the US version...very discouraging. In the Japanese version, it takes at least 5 hits until you've gone up a level. Once you're level 2 or higher, you can literally go through the entire first area, killing every enemy without ever swinging your sword (just running into things damages them). At level 3, you are practically invincible in the first area.

While playing, I went through most areas only one time. ONE TIME! I re-entered the first river part twice for a few extra points. Remember the huge killer flower at the end of the first river? It never comes back in the US version, but it comes back in the Japanese version. But that's okay, because it's a creampuff to beat. The other area I did more than once was Louksole. I only did that to gain a level, I think I went through it twice, then re-entered again to fight the boss. Remember the Spire Of Eternity? Once through...straight through too, I went to the top and slashed Crully to oblivion with ease...no spending two hours leveling up in this forsaken place like in the US version.

Enemies seem to give more experience points in the Japanese version too...which is one of the reasons it's easier to play straight through the game.

However, all the glitches in the US version also exist in the Japanese version, mainly in regards to the very broken collision detection.

The only boss battle which gave me any challenge was with Lawrence. But even that wasn't tremendously hard.

All in all though, Exile II Japanese was WAY more enjoyable than the US version, although again, a bit on the easy side, like its prequel.

Also of note: I did not use a single tonic throughout the entire game. In fact, I only ever bought one, and it was by mistake...I have no idea what I even bought!

esteban

Re: You knew it was coming...Exile II US vs Japan
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »
Awesome nod. You and others had presented most of these observations when we discussed Exile II in the past, but it is nice to have everything summarized (and even more importantly, verified) in one nice post.

Thanks. I still need to get the Japanese version of Exile.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
One thing Nod didn't note, is that the boss song is screwy in the Jp version of Exile 2.  Atleast, mine is, I have an original, not a cdr, & I can't totally recall & am too lazy to check, but, I recall it being terrible sounding in comparison to the US version.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »
Are the numbers at least in English?

nodtveidt

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »
The numbers are in Arabic.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »
&*@$!!

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:42:21 AM »
The numbers we use in English are also Arabic.

offsidewing

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:00:06 AM »
Ahhh, those Arabians and their zeros. 
"What's That?"
"Oh, it's nothing."

What's the Roman numeral for zero??  You know a civilization is doomed when they don't have a numeric representation for nothing.

FM-77

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:09:42 AM »
What's the Roman numeral for zero??

(Mega Man)

offsidewing

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:51:19 AM »

(Mega Man)

Hahahahahahahaha!  Giga-Crush on all y'all bitches!

Seriously though, the concept of zero was denoted as "nullea".  Zero wasn't used in Roman numeral mathematics, as they have absolute values and are not positional like Arabic numerals.  Ugh, why do I know this crap?  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 10:07:10 AM »

(Mega Man)

Hahahahahahahaha!  Giga-Crush on all y'all bitches!

Seriously though, the concept of zero was denoted as "nullea".  Zero wasn't used in Roman numeral mathematics, as they have absolute values and are not positional like Arabic numerals.  Ugh, why do I know this crap?  :)

Google??  Wiki??

Nullea was used once, I believe, by a man named Ima Jaggenoff in 272 BC while subdicating Lo-Pan.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 11:15:14 AM »
If you say so chief.  I thought 'nullea' was Latin for nothing.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »
Quote from: nodtveidt

The numbers we use in English are also Arabic.

Crap!  I'll never be able to count again!