Author Topic: Batman Review  (Read 892 times)

nat

Batman Review
« on: May 28, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
One site I enjoy reading reviews on is the "Defunct Games" site... They have a large selection of Turbo reviews that are occasionally entertaining to read. Most recently our port of Batman was the victim and the reviewer was NOT kind:

http://www.defunctgames.com/shows.php?id=review-884

Scroll down and observe how he berates the music which, ironically, for me is a high point of the game.

Keranu

Re: Batman Review
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Yee-ouch, his comments on the music were downright harsh! "Speaking of ruining the entire experience, the music in this game is absolutely ear piercing." Reading that makes my ears pierce personally! If they used Danny Elfman's tracks for the game, I don't think it would've set the mood as well as it did for the movie.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:00:39 PM »
I bet that the same reviewer absolutely loves the NES Batman music.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:19:48 AM »
I bet that the same reviewer absolutely loves the NES Batman music.

No shit.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:14:20 AM »
He is dead wrong about the music, but I have to agree with most of the rest of the review.  Batman does feel less like a super hero and more like a rat in a maze, and what's the deal with the dumb crosswalks?  The tunes and cut scenes are the only reason to play through this monotonous drivel.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »
I really like that site. They have quite a lot of Turbo reviews there, and I tend to agree with the reviewer on a lot of his points. The reviews are often somewhat humorous as well...

It's kind of cool, you can select reviews by year. They also have some Master System, Neo Geo and Sega CD games reviewed among a handful of other systems.

Although in this particular case, I disagree wholeheartedly with the review. I really enjoy Batman.

But if it's any consolation at all, they give the Lynx port of Batman Returns a 2% score (out of 100).

EDIT: Keranu might want to skip this one, but here's their review of JJ & Jeff. This one is an example I happen to completely agree with: http://www.defunctgames.com/shows.php?id=review-709
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 05:03:25 AM by nat »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:13:58 AM »
But if it's any consolation at all, they give the Lynx port of Batman Returns a 2% score (out of 100).

He also gave Strip Fighter 2 a score of 2% and Die Hard a score of 8%.  Pretty harsh scoring, but it's better than giving every game a minimum of 75% like some reviewers do.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 05:26:59 AM »
That's part of the reason I enjoy the site so much... Their scores are usually very good and, like you said, don't bottom out at 75%.

Before Batman I was hardpressed to find anything I didn't agree with on some level.

offsidewing

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »
Read some of this other person's reviews.

Soldier Blade: ..."after the success of Super Star Soldier, Hudson Soft decided to give the 2D shooter genre another crack..."  Um, it was 1992/3 what else was there?

Vigilante:  No Shit.  Good Job unearthing the real weaknesses of the game that no one else has!

World Sports Comp:  Don't be a Hater...

cho_aniki

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:42:48 PM »

I actually enjoy Batman, that review seems particularly harsh.  I like the Defunct games website, it's well designed and interesting, however I often find their reviews to be way off the mark, at least for my taste.

They give some of the best Pc-engine games really poor scores, for example:  Jackie Chan's Action Kung fu and Neutopia 2 get 50%, yet Night Creatures gets a score of 60% and Ballistix 80 %!

I actually recently acquired Night Creatures, and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised and found it somewhat enjoyable, a lot better than what I had heard about it, however it's definitely not in the same league as Jackie Chan. 

nat

Night Creatures
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »
I agree 100% on Night Creatures (sorry steve, I know you had your eye on my copy).

I was really prepared for the worst, but it's actually a halfway decent game. The graphics are average to good (nothing spectacular) and there are some cool parallax scrolling backgrounds, especially in the graveyard. I also like the non-linear design of the game.

Control really isn't all that bad, I can think of a shitload of games with far worse control than Night Creatres. *cough*...Altered Beast...*cough* Actually it controls just fine after playing it, like, once.

There is a good variety in the gameplay in that there are lots of different types of items, in addition to the normal "weapon" arsenal, plus a cool metamorphosis dynamic.

Where Night Creatures really falls down is in the sound department. The music composition is fairly lame, and technically sounds primitive. The tunes are not unpleasant, and some are halfway decent, but they mostly really sound mediocre and haven't stood the test of time. At all.

If I had bought this game in 1991 or 1992 in the middle of my Turbo-gaming heydey I probably wouldn't have been disappointed with it. As it is, it's a halfway decent platformer to offer me some mid-afternoon distraction after work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:18:03 PM by nat »

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
He also gave Strip Fighter 2 a score of 2% and Die Hard a score of 8%.  Pretty harsh scoring, but it's better than giving every game a minimum of 75% like some reviewers do.
Agreed...

... do you think that Strip Fighter 2 score was 2% new?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »
just played it the first time till about stage 10 this week. wasn't IMO the real uberhammer, but the tunez rulez enormous.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 07:01:20 PM »
I beat the game a month or so ago. It took about a good hour and a half to beat and it was a slow, but enjoyable experience. The cinematics were really something to look forward to and the last boss fight was pretty neat.

nat

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 03:55:33 AM »
I don't think 2% is an unreasonable score for Strip Fighter II. If the novelty of seeing naked girls is totally lost on you, then that's probably the score I would give it as a complete rip-off of Street Fighter.

Personally, I would have given it more points just because I enjoy seeing naked chicks.