Author Topic: Batman Review  (Read 888 times)

Keranu

Re: Batman Review
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
I'm currently at the end of Batman. I plan on having it in the bag by tonight, but I have an idle question.

If you die on the Final Cathedral stage, the game gives you a password. Yet this password is worthless, it doesn't work. Does anyone know why this is? Luckily I obtained a password from like one stage prior but it kind of bugs me that I have to re-play the final stage of Gotham City every time. Every other password I've been given in the game seems to work fine.

If they don't want you to continue from the Final stage, why give you a password at all?
Sorry, I don't know the problem with that. I played through the entire game in one sitting (well two since I paused it to eat dinner) and never dealt with the passwords. Are you sure you just aren't typing it in wrong like using an "l" instead of "1" or something like that? Maybe there is a password that works on GameFAQs or something.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
I'm currently at the end of Batman. I plan on having it in the bag by tonight, but I have an idle question.

If you die on the Final Cathedral stage, the game gives you a password. Yet this password is worthless, it doesn't work. Does anyone know why this is? Luckily I obtained a password from like one stage prior but it kind of bugs me that I have to re-play the final stage of Gotham City every time. Every other password I've been given in the game seems to work fine.

If they don't want you to continue from the Final stage, why give you a password at all?
Sorry, I don't know the problem with that. I played through the entire game in one sitting (well two since I paused it to eat dinner) and never dealt with the passwords.

Haha, yeah, the game is pretty easy. But it's so f*cking long I had to turn it off at one point, get a password, and play something else for a while.

Are you sure you just aren't typing it in wrong like using an "l" instead of "1" or something like that? Maybe there is a password that works on GameFAQs or something.

The "password" is actually iconic and not alphanumeric. It's a combination of Batman and Joker icons facing different directions. And yeah, I'm not entering it wrong. I haven't checked GameFAQs but I'm really too lazy. It's not that big a deal. I just can't understand why they are giving me a password to begin with if it's bogus.

To stay on topic, I really didn't enjoy Batman much on the PCE. It's an OK game, but it's a poor format for Batman.

It's different, that's for sure. I give them points for trying something new, but throw in the cinemas and stellar music and it's definitely a winner. The only thing I fault it for is being so long that it gets monotonous if you try to play through the whole thing in one sitting like Keranu.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 02:42:02 PM by nat »

Keranu

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »
Haha, yeah, the game is pretty easy. But it's so f*cking long I had to turn it off at one point, get a password, and play something else for a while.
It's not too too long, but still extremely boring and too long for one sitting. I believe it took me about an hour and a half, maybe less. I was inspired to beat it in one sitting ever since Chris Covell posted on here how he recently beated it in one sitting.

Quote from: bug
The "password" is actually iconic and not alphanumeric. It's a combination of Batman and Joker icons facing different directions. And yeah, I'm not entering it wrong. I haven't checked GameFAQs but I'm really too lazy. It's not that big a deal. I just can't understand why they are giving me a password to begin with if it's bogus.
Ahh, those kind of passwords sorta suck. They're good because you don't have to deal with similar characters like you would with letters and numbers, but they suck because they can be annoying to write down.

Quote from: fly
It's different, that's for sure. I give them points for trying something new, but throw in the cinemas and stellar music and it's definitely a winner. The only thing I fault it for is being so long that it gets monotonous if you try to play through the whole thing in one sitting like Keranu.
Completely agreed! I don't mind the "Pac-Man" style gameplay and think it's a little fun, but I wish they would've expanded more on the gameplay and difficulty in the later levels. I remember that the last level was actually way easier than some of the levels before it. A few levels provided some decent challenge though.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

sunteam_paul

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 01:56:23 AM »
The game is decent enough but I much prefer Doraemon, which is very similar in style. I wouldn't try to complete either in one sitting, they would get very boring, but playing in bursts now and again is a lot of fun.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Keranu

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 09:15:09 AM »
I agree with Paul, I think Daraemon/Crater Maze did a better job with the Pac-Man-ish gameplay.

torgo

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 03:25:27 AM »
Man, I love the Batman game on the PCE. I beat the Mega Drive/Genesis game in like an hour, whereas the PCE version is nice and long. Plus the visuals are excellent, and it's just a fun game.
PS Nation

Turbo D

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 03:35:30 AM »
I like the nes batman  :P

Keranu

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 10:14:11 AM »
Man, I love the Batman game on the PCE. I beat the Mega Drive/Genesis game in like an hour, whereas the PCE version is nice and long. Plus the visuals are excellent, and it's just a fun game.
It's nice to hear more Batman PCE love! :)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »
I like all of the original Sunsoft Batman games (NES, MD, PCE).  I also like how they're each different.  I don't care for their "sequels" like Return of the Joker, though.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 05:34:05 AM »
I liked the Game Boy version, had some great music as you'd expect from Sunsoft.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!