Author Topic: Any way to make yellowed hucards white again?  (Read 1641 times)

Golgo13

Any way to make yellowed hucards white again?
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:11:39 AM »
see topic, I have 1 or two games like this and I was wondering what if anything can be done about it. I think its probably from sunlight, kinda like the old Super Famicom and SNES would get.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Any way to make yellowed hucards white again?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:11:20 AM »
You could try the bleach solution that many have performed on the PC Engine, CD, DuoR, and Duo-RX (search for the related thread - I'm too lazy).  Just make sure that you tape off the contacts and eeprom area really well, and brush the solution on rather than submerge it.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
I don't think I have any HuCards that have actually yellowed. I do, however, have some HuCards sleeves that have a nasty yellowish tint.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

offsidewing

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:06:35 PM »
I don't think I have any HuCards that have actually yellowed. I do, however, have some HuCards sleeves that have a nasty yellowish tint.

to me, this is the grossest thing in all of video gamedom.  I'm a fairly manly man, but nasty hucard sleeve gross me out.  Smell of rotting animal carcas, ok.  Getting stitches without novicane, got that t-shirt.  Sleeping in a football stadium port-a-pottie, hell yeah.  Drinking a beer with cigarette butts in it (accidentally), I'm that guy.  But nasty yellowed hucard sleeves, eew!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:48:50 PM by offsidewing »

FM-77

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:25 PM »
Hucard sleeves? Why use them when there's universe?

esteban

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:05:50 PM »
You could try the bleach solution that many have performed on the PC Engine, CD, DuoR, and Duo-RX (search for the related thread - I'm too lazy).  Just make sure that you tape off the contacts and eeprom area really well, and brush the solution on rather than submerge it.
Indeed. And, if you want to be cautious, just do a "spot check" and  keep trying multiple applications / stronger bleach : water mixtures. I would avoid the printed graphics on the front of the HuCard, myself, but everything else is fair game. Just avoid the black area + pins completely.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
Hucard sleeves? Why use them when there's universe?
It's nice to use the sleeves so the HuCards don't jump around like it's a party inside the case when you pick them up :D . American cases are especially nice as they have the little arm band that holds the HuCard firmly in place.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »
see topic, I have 1 or two games like this and I was wondering what if anything can be done about it. I think its probably from sunlight, kinda like the old Super Famicom and SNES would get.

I honestly didn't know that HuCards could yellow like that. Seriously.

I know certain types of plastics are susceptible to this phenomenon, but I had no idea HuCards were made of that plastic. I've never seen a HuCard anything less than pearly white. Are you sure they aren't just dirty?

TurboChips, on the other hand....

MrFulci

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »
Awesome informative article about plastic yellowing, http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

nat

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 03:17:23 PM »
Awesome informative article about plastic yellowing, http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Fascinating.

it's worth noting my SNES looks exactly like his "bad" one. I've always wondered why the top has yellowed and the bottom hasn't. It just sort of happened one day, not that long ago either. I pulled the ol' SNES out for a spin and found that sometime between 2003 and now half the console decided to change colors on me.

You could say my SNES is now 50% new.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 03:23:19 PM by nat »

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »

It's creeping into other threads...

Golgo13

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
The games I have that yellowed are in fact american "Turbo Chips" one is bonks revenge, the other is keith courage, these are the games that I had since 94 or 95,  when I  lived at home, I had a room facing the west which got alot of sunlight, I would leave my video game stuff hooked up at once, and the turbo at that time I never played often, but I left it at the bottom shelf, with a turbo chip inside, it was this sun exposure that I think made the real half of the turbochip yellow.

Golgo13

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »

Fascinating.

it's worth noting my SNES looks exactly like his "bad" one. I've always wondered why the top has yellowed and the bottom hasn't. It just sort of happened one day, not that long ago either. I pulled the ol' SNES out for a spin and found that sometime between 2003 and now half the console decided to change colors on me.

I got my first SNES in Christmas of 92, that was the original set with mario world and 2 controllers,  in 95 my SNES broke, actually the only system I ever had stop working on me, this one had already yellowed after 3 years although not so bad as the one in the picture.

So in 95 I bought a replacement SNES, this was the "Play it Loud" set, which was just a normal control set with nintendo's "Play it loud" marketing propaganda. This one still works to this day, and it did not yellow, with the exception of the plastic pieces where the controller ports are, Its almost as if nintendo still had older plastic controller port pieces from 92 and used them.

nat

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 03:52:25 AM »

Fascinating.

[...]
in 95 my SNES broke, actually the only system I ever had stop working on me, [...]

I'm sure every video game system is a victim of random electronic failure at one point or another.

The only system I've ever had stop working on me was my first TurboGrafx-16 in like 1997. It lasted me a good 6-7 years, but there's no reason it should have stopped working. One day it just didn't turn on anymore. (No, it wasn't the AC adapter.)

I still have it though with the hopes that I one day might be able to fix it.