Author Topic: Any way to make yellowed hucards white again?  (Read 1642 times)

Keranu

Re: Any way to make yellowed hucards white again?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 08:40:23 AM »
Awesome informative article about plastic yellowing, http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Thanks a lot for the link, that was a fantastic article!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MrFulci

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:57 AM »
Yeah, when I first read the article it explained a lot of thigns to me. Flame retardants....

Some SNES' did not take long to yellow. I had one that seemed to yellow after 5 years or so. It was moved around the house often, and from what I recall it never received much direct sunlight, though one room it was in for a period of time had large windows.

The yellow never bothered me much. I wondered about it, that's about it.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

FM-77

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »
It seems like only american and japanese SNES systems get yellowed like that. I've yet to see a (significantly) yellowed PAL SNES. My personal PAL consoles are perfectly gray, good as new. :) My american SNES has a yellowed bottom, but the top looks fine.

ASSEMbler

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 11:09:15 PM »
I know a few ways, but it is a temporary fix and damages the plastic.
You'd have to clearcoat it afterwards too.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 08:39:41 PM »
QUIT PEEING ON THEM.

Tablet

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 10:13:04 PM »
It seems like only american and japanese SNES systems get yellowed like that. I've yet to see a (significantly) yellowed PAL SNES. My personal PAL consoles are perfectly gray, good as new. :) My american SNES has a yellowed bottom, but the top looks fine.

My PAL SNES has yellowed on top, then again i did buy it off a friend and it was already pretty bad at that point.

nat

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 03:14:13 AM »
My SNES is the opposite- it yellowed on the bottom. It just happened one day. Literally, I woke up one day to go play it and the bottom was yellow. True story.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »
Invasion of the Snes snatchers.

Tablet

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
Is it strange that my little brothers dreamcast has yellowed in streaks on top? I havent heard of dreamcasts doing it before? Also my Tenokoe 2 has yellowed to a browny colour and my flap door thing on my nes is starting to yellow.

Good thing most sega consoles are black ;)

nat

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 10:48:17 AM »
Is it strange that my little brothers dreamcast has yellowed in streaks on top? I havent heard of dreamcasts doing it before? Also my Tenokoe 2 has yellowed to a browny colour and my flap door thing on my nes is starting to yellow.

Good thing most sega consoles are black ;)

Any grey/white/platinum plastic has the potential to yellow over time. It has to do with a chemical breakdown at the molecular level. I'm sure the same breakdown happens with black plastics, you just can't see it.

There are certain factors that determine if/when it will happen, namely the type and quantity of flame-retardants used in the manufacturing process.

I've also heard that certain types of light, specifically sunlight and fluorescent, cause a reaction that jump starts and expedites this breakdown.

Also, the reason you get different pieces of say, a console yellowing at different rates and times is because the different pieces are manufactured in different places by different processes. Some of these processes add more of the necessary chemicals to the plastic than others.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:50:39 AM by nat »

Tablet

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 05:19:45 AM »
I really ought to take a pic of my little bros dreamcast actually i think i will:

Right as you can see there's yellow streaks on the lid, they also continue on the left to the lid, just thought it looked weird that it's yellowed all patchy, mine's older than his and i still have it boxed so it hasnt been exposed to much sun light, just on a note i've noticed that my dreamcast has little rubber legs on the underside to tilt the console forward, is that normal? I havent seen it on any other dreamcast before.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 06:15:54 AM »
I got Benj to fix this article (it wasn't showing up yesterday), so here you go!

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »
Here's a guide that I haven't gotten around to linking into my site yet-

http://superpcenginegrafx.com/cleaning_a_pcengine.html
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »
WARNING!: plastic tends to age faster after being exposed to bleach. The whitening may only be temporary and lead to an even yellower console. Experiences may vary. Bleach your console at your own risk!

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »
People tend to get whiter after being exposed to Bleach as well, f*cking otaku. :P