Author Topic: What is the big difference between Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special?  (Read 1613 times)

Golgo13

Im NOT talking about the games themselves, I mean more the quality of the conversions, I hear everybody talk about how great a port fatal fury special is, I have fatal fury 2 and was wondering if special is also worth getting for the Arcade card.  Whats the difference, was special done alot better than 2?

nat

No, the games are virtually identical (I own both), I think Special has slightly shorter load times. Graphically I can't tell a difference.

You might as well get Special, it's a better game overall than 2 (more players, stages, etc).

That said, I actually enjoy 2 a bit more when I'm playing by myself because it's a shorter game with fewer stages to get through in one sitting.

When I'm playing with someone else, FF Special is a must.

Keranu

Fatal Fury Special allows you to play as the boss characters, making it a much better choice if you like to play against other people.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SNKNostalgia

Neither version. Get them on Neo Geo!!!!! Wait, themz jokes!!!!!!
No, but really though man.

I never got to see the arcade card versions of Neo Geo games. I am sure they blow away the Sega CD and SNES versions, but still.

nat

I never got to see the arcade card versions of Neo Geo games. I am sure they blow away the Sega CD and SNES versions, but still.

I've never played the Neo Geo versions, but I hear the Turbo Arcade Card versions blow away those too.

Keranu

I've played all the versions and the Neo Geo and PCE versions are the best. Between the Neo Geo and PCE versions, the Neo Geo version is a little better graphically and doesn't have load times, while the PCE version has outstanding music, though some harsh load times. It's defnitely worth getting the PCE version since it's so cheap.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SNKNostalgia

The Neo Geo CD versions you get the remixed soundtrack of the PCE but with Neo Geo graphics. The load times are a little slow but not as bad as most Neo Geo CD titles.

Keranu

Oh yes I remember briefly reading about this before (I think from here). Is the NGCD soundtrack really directly taken from the PCE version with no differences?

SNKNostalgia

Trust me it will be the same. SNK has this thing with original MVS/AES cart music and then CD arranged music. They use the same for all CD versions of different games. Examples: KOF 95 for PSX, Saturn, NGCD all the same. Fatal Fury Special Sega CD and NGCD the same. I don't see why they would spend extra money to change the music for just one other port.

Tatsujin

anyway they're both worth to get, since they don't go for over 1 buck usualy.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

I have Fatal Fury 2 on the Neo Geo and also on the PCE via space-age "CD-R" technology from the future.  The PCE version is better.  Yes, the AES version has slightly better graphics all around, but the control is soooo much smoother and easier to deal with on the PCE.  That makes that version the best.  The AES version is just annoying.  Glad I only paid $6 for it.

Keranu

I haven't noticed any differences controll wise between the Neo Geo and PCE versions, unless you are referring to the controllers themselves, which can depend greatly on what kind of set up you're using. The PCE version adds a microbutton for switching planes if you're using a six-pad controller, but micro buttons are for losers.

nat

What the f*ck is a microbutton?

Do you mean a macrobutton?

Or is there an incredibly small button on my Avenue 6 Pad that I've never noticed before?

Keranu

Oops! Yes I meant macrobutton :D ! But yeah there is a hidden microbutton on that Avenue 6 Pad somewhere...

Joe Redifer

To be honest I haven't even figured out HOW to switch planes on the NeoGeo version, and all the moves are backwards from what I am used to with Street Fighter 2.  :(  The whole 2-plane thing is simply retarded anyway.  Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

The PCE 6-button controller is better than both the AES stick and the CDZ control pad.