Author Topic: What is the big difference between Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special?  (Read 1609 times)

nat

The whole 2-plane thing is simply retarded anyway.  Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I disagree, and since I am God, I declare it is you who are wrong.

Keranu

To be honest I haven't even figured out HOW to switch planes on the NeoGeo version, and all the moves are backwards from what I am used to with Street Fighter 2.  :(  The whole 2-plane thing is simply retarded anyway.  Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
How are the moves different than SF2 really? They use all of the same move patterns in SF2 with very few new ones. I think the switching plane idea was a good concept, but didn't turn out as well as it should've. SNK tried fixing this with the "side-step" dodge in the early KoF games, but it still wasn't perfected yet and they eventually got it right with the roll maneuvering, which started in KoF'96 or '97. The thing I don't like about many Capcom fighters is their lack of maneuvering tactics in most games, but the perry system in SF3: TS is rad, though takes tons of practice.

Quote from: Joe
The PCE 6-button controller is better than both the AES stick and the CDZ control pad.
I haven't got to use an AES stick, but it has four buttons in a row like the game was designed for. Plus this isn't even including the other controllers and joysticks for PCE and Neo Geo, not to mention homemade ones, or else I would choose my homemade arcade stick over all of them :P .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

To be honest I haven't even figured out HOW to switch planes on the NeoGeo version, and all the moves are backwards from what I am used to with Street Fighter 2.  :(  The whole 2-plane thing is simply retarded anyway.  Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

The PCE 6-button controller is better than both the AES stick and the CDZ control pad.

Yes Joe,even you can learn to leap back and forth,knock enemies into the background or foreground,and pull off those superduper complex special motions with my all amazing super modified metal based $100.00 QJ Top Fighter Metal Slug system stick. Its so f*ckin awesome it may even help your sorry ass play the mighty Fatal Fury 2 and Special on a real arcade type system with real arcade controls.

And remember,women will respect you more.

forgive the messy software on the floor :(

Keranu

Blast away and go, go, go!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

FF2>FFS

I perfer FFS more any ways.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

Keranu, when I want Terry to do his little floor-sliding fireball, I have to do it ass-backwards if memory recalls.  Actually I'm usually not one for too many special moves, and I never had any trouble moving around in any Street Fighter game (with the exception of part 1).  I know Michael is a NeoGeo fanboy so I won't even respond to his post.  I also prefer pads to joysticks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:45:39 PM by Joe Redifer »

Tatsujin

never was big into the fatal garous anyway, until MotW. let's say they sucked big d**ks in hell against street fighter II at that time in any point of views. also liked much more the other series from SNK like the samurai spirits (except of #3), last blade and later KoF. but what they do nowadays is even worse than the worst they did in the 90s.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Michael Helgeson

Keranu, when I want Terry to do his little floor-sliding fireball, I have to do it ass-backwards if memory recalls.  Actually I'm usually not one for too many special moves, and I never had any trouble moving around in any Street Fighter game (with the exception of part 1).  I know Michael is a NeoGeo fanboy so I won't even respond to his post.  I also prefer pads to joysticks.

To do Terrys projectile attack,its a normal fireball motion with punch. To do a burning knuckle,its just like doing a Hurricane kick on Sf2,but with punch. The other 2 attacks are just as easy. This is like saying all you feel comfortable with is playing SF 2 and even if the motions are the same you simply cant mentally handle any other fighters. Also,that stick is wired for my Supergun,for all my fighters,arcade pcbs,whatever,Neo and non Neo,like Power Instinct2,Time Killers,Martial Champion,Survival Arts,ect. I own quite a bit of arcade pcbs of 90ies fighters.

Yes I like the Neo alot,but you forget Im really simply a fan of most 90ies based fighting games in general,including Sf2,and about any hardware based on M68000 or similar that doesn't suicide like CPS-Qsound,CPS2,and System 16 and Superscaler which were all designed to die. If you can play SF2 Champ,you should be able to just as easily play FF2 or FFS,game pad or stick,either one,unless you just have  a retarded mental block or burned out Capcom mind control chip of some type installed that compels you to only be able to handle Capcoms SF franchise in general and makes you think everything else is unplayable.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:11:31 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
@ M.H. - Gotta love a quality arcade stick when playing a NeoGeo, and that arcade stick is worth an extra five gold sticky stars for the Metal Slug references.  Nothing else will withstand the abuse caused by really getting into the game (which is the only way to really enjoy a good fighter).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

If you can play SF2 Champ,you should be able to just as easily play FF2 or FFS,game pad or stick,either one,unless you just have  a retarded mental block or burned out Capcom mind control chip of some type installed that compels you to only be able to handle Capcoms SF franchise in general and makes you think everything else is unplayable.

Capcom does it better.  But to be honest, I usually play as Mai.  The King of Fighters series is pretty good for the most part, but the controller motions on Fatal Fury seem to be much less forgiving.  Plus it has that dual layer BS.  Sorry, but for me that wrecks the game.  If it was great, other fighting games would have imitated that feature.  None did.  Why not?  Oh yeah, because it was lame.  SNK was trying too hard to make their fighting game original instead of good.

Golgo13

Street Fighter II Champion Edition for the PCE is the best street fighter II in my opinion for the consoles of that era, about a month ago I got an avenue 6 pad and the hucard, Ive played the SNES ones, the genesis ones, and I truly believe this one was the best in terms of control and accuracy.  Im partial to champion edition over turbo.

Keranu

Each character in FF2/Special has like the same amount of moves as each character in SF2, which is like three. I agree Street Fighter II is a much better game, but FFS is a nice game too. FF2/S does seem to have a different control feel that SF2 when pulling off moves, but still plays much better than SF1 and FF1. KoF'98 stomps every other fighting game to the ground though, in my opinion. WHY WASN'T KOF'98 ON THE ARCADE CARD!!?!?!?!?

By the way, I prefer keyboards to pads and joysticks (seriously).

Joe Redifer

If you're playing fighting games you can be pretty damn precise with a keyboard since you won't accidentally press a diagonal when you don't mean to.  Also, why does Guile say "Cyclone!" instead of "Sonic Boom!" in SVC Chaos?  I think I should sue SNK.

MrFulci

Sticks seem to be the way to go for certain fighters.

I can play with a pad to an extent, however, the motions for the special attacks I tend to be able to perform more swiftly on a stick as compared to a pad, especially when it involves movement such as quarter and half-circles.

I need a PC Engine 6 button stick.... I know Hori and Innovation made 6 button sticks, and I've seen the Hori on ebay somtime in the past 12 months. it would be pretty helpful.

Certain Sega Genesis games really need a stick. Such as UMK3. I end up holding the gamepad with my thumb on the underside, and the fingers on the buttons so I can run, block, attack, all that mess rather fast.
Games that involve a lot of holding down a button, while pressing others I prefer a stick.

I've been getting back into fighters lately. Certain ones I could pick up again rather fast, sometimes this was due to the amount of time I spent playing them years ago, games such as the first Mortal Kombat, World Heroes 2, and Street Fighter 2. Though, there is some "ring rust" hahahahaha. I was playing Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 a few days ago and I thought something was wrong with the game or the difficulty, The 3rd or 4th round shouldn't be where I was defeated. However, after all continues were gone, the options checked out fine. I forgot how reliant on special moves MK's sequels are, and the block button, and that damn new run button. MK sequels are all about being cheap, haha.

Definately some ring rust, however I'm sanding away at it.

Every Fighting game has it's own quirks, a few I really enjoy are World Heroes 2, Street Fighter 2 champion, Samurai Shodown series, Mortal Kombat (the first one).

So far, for console only games, I've been pretty impressed with Flash Hiders for the PCE. I haven't played much of it lately, though when I receive my Duo-R back from grahf I'll see if I can play the game through and beat it (not the story mode, but the "other" mode). The controls aren't too complicated, the computer doesn't seem to rely on a lot of special attacks, though they do get stronger as you go along. Each roudn you choose your opponent from 2 or 3 (can't recall), so you can pick the one with the most cash up for grabs, or the weaker opponent for an easy win and lesser cash. Then you use that cash to purchase more skills. All in all it's a decent time.

On the subject of this thread, Fatal Fury I'm not that interested in the series as there are other Neo Geo fighters I prefer to play.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Keranu

If you're playing fighting games you can be pretty damn precise with a keyboard since you won't accidentally press a diagonal when you don't mean to.  Also, why does Guile say "Cyclone!" instead of "Sonic Boom!" in SVC Chaos?  I think I should sue SNK.
I'm more disappointed with Capcom absolutely butchering SNK's side of things in CvS1 and a little bit in CvS2.