Author Topic: Is Devil's Crush the ultimate Turbo Express game?  (Read 662 times)

jimid2

Is Devil's Crush the ultimate Turbo Express game?
« on: May 31, 2007, 04:44:55 AM »
I've been playing my TE a lot since I got some games for it earlier this week (note to self: you're on the fourth disc of FFVIII on your PSP - go finish the damned thing!!), and the game I've had loaded the longest is definitely Devil's Crush. It only took me a couple games to start getting my groove on with that game again, and I've really enjoyed rediscovering it. I love fanciful video pinball games (Metroid Pinball on the DS is a recent fave), but I honestly think Devil's Crush is the best of them all! And it's a perfect game for the Turbo Express - even though you lose some of the beautiful detail in the table, it fits the screen and the TE's form factor really well, and it's a great 'quick fix' if your trying to fit in a few minutes gaming while waiting on something else...

Anybody else feel the same way? or do you have other favorites for play on the Turbo Express?  :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Is Devil's Crush the ultimate Turbo Express game?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:30:30 AM »
Devil's Crush is f'n awesome on the Express, but I prefer Time Cruise.  I know that I'm in the minority, but I like the multiple screen playing field and more varied bonus games offered by TC.  Splatterhouse is another favorite for on the go fun, as well as Soldier Blade for portable shmup goodness.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:14:52 AM »
These are some of my favorite Express time-wasters:

Blodia (Timeball)
China Warrior (huge sprites fit the Express screen perfectly)
Hatris (don't ask)
Columns
Space Invaders
Galaga '88

And of course the Bonk series, Bomberman series, and R-Type are good on ANY system, handheld or otherwise.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »
Blazing Lazers is pretty nice on it, but the stiff d-pad doesn't feel as good as it does on the console.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:46:50 AM »
Military Madness is the ultimate Turbo Express game.

Neutopia's work out pretty good too since the action isn't as fast paced as say a shooter.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »
I usually throw in pacland, airzonk, alien and devil crush. Sometimes some bonk. Recently my sound has been poor, but I've been lazy to open it up and fix it.

grahf

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »
Blazing Lazers is pretty nice on it, but the stiff d-pad doesn't feel as good as it does on the console.
I thought that was odd, since both of my Express/GTs have softer dpads than most of my Duo pads. Its probably just a use thing, since they use *almost* the same contact pads and therefore shoudl feel the same.

BOT,
Devils Crash does play really really sweet as a portable game.

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 01:55:52 PM »
That's probably it because I bought my Express brand new almost one year from now.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:55 PM »
You bought it in the future?

That would most definitely explain the stiff D-Pad.

jimid2

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
That's probably it because I bought my Express brand new almost one year from now.
Ya, my newly acquired Express is "new" (well, unused, in original packaging, but with the dead sound capacitor issue, so I'm guessing an old warranty return) and I noticed the D-pad was pretty stiff, but I figured it was probably just because it was new... Well, that and sitting unused for 17 years in a box...

Some great game suggestions for portable play... I've been playing quite a bit of Splatterhouse myself, and will probably spend some time with Bonk's Adventure this weekend if I can steal a few minutes for myself... I remember trying Military Madness back on the TE back in the good ol' days, but I wasn't that enamored of it as a portable game, for some reason, though I absolutely loved it on the TG16 - bought a Gameboy Advance for myself just to play Advance Wars when it was released, simply because it reminded me so much of Military Madness :)

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »
My express d-pad is pretty stiff too, haha

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:21:34 PM »
Put a diver board on it and play Street Fighter 2 on it. That will get rid of the stiffness in a week.

I remember my PS1 having such a stiff pad that when I watched TV, I had to keep rolling my thumb on it so I wouldn't mess up a simple move like a regular fireball move when played. Of course, this is when the system first came out so there was only Battle Arena Toshinden and Tekken 1. It was hard to even move forward and turn left at the same time on Doom.

Isn't there a way to replace the LCD screen with a newer one that doesn't have the bad ghosting effects? I think the guy Heckler did portable consoles like Neo Geo MVS, PS1 and PS2. Kinda bulky stuff ,but neat.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 03:03:28 AM »
Neutopia's work out pretty good too since the action isn't as fast paced as say a shooter.

No saves though.  Are the passwords legible on an Express?

Isn't there a way to replace the LCD screen with a newer one that doesn't have the bad ghosting effects? I think the guy Heckler did portable consoles like Neo Geo MVS, PS1 and PS2. Kinda bulky stuff ,but neat.

I'm assuming that 'Heckler' is Ben Heckendorn, and he's made some extremely cool shit - including, but not limited to, portable Atari 2600s, a portable Nintendo 64, and a Xbox360 laptop.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 03:13:55 AM »
I'm assuming that 'Heckler' is Ben Heckendorn, and he's made some extremely cool shit - including, but not limited to, portable Atari 2600s, a portable Nintendo 64, and a Xbox360 laptop.

A(n) Xbox 360 LT !!!!  Nice!

With this post, I pass Gordie Howe, Mahatma Ghandi, and Meg Ryan on the 'all-time post' list of pcenginefx.com

grahf

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »
SNKNostalgia, im currently working on putting a modern LCD in one of my GTs. Its a casio TV screen which I hacked to accept RGB. The Express/GTs do not have the supporting components on the board to support composite out, which 99% of most small lcds accept as input.  Its working already, but I need to tweak the RGB signals as its a little washed out. Even so, its brilliant. I'll post pics at a later date. I would have finished it already, but its extremely tedious to work with the TV screen so I put it aside for a while.