Author Topic: The Turbo Duo on PC  (Read 971 times)

Kitsunexus

Re: The Turbo Duo on PC
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
Are you talking about ME 1.0 or 0.99? Because the earlier version was fine, but then they replaced the GUI with the world's biggest abomination, that will bring ANY computer to its knees. The fact that it takes longer to start up (and exit) ME 1.0 than Oblivion (or Quake 4, or any new game) should tell you something.

f*ck ME. I have NEVER touched that shit, only 3.1, 98 and XP for me.

FM-77

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »
f*ck ME. I have NEVER touched that shit, only 3.1, 98 and XP for me.

ME = Magic Engine :P

Kitsunexus

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 10:59:20 AM »
Oh I couldn't tell you for sure, but I don't remember the GUI being fancy.

jimid2

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 03:36:23 PM »
Your experience with ME is not normal.  My super powerful 1.47Ghz Athlon with 768MB and XP can run the latest version without slowing to a crawl.  ME's start ups and shut downs take no more than a few seconds for me.  Just how long are yours taking?  I'll bet that nod's correct and the video drivers are the culprit.
Ditto... I use ME on a couple systems around the house, but my beater old Athalon 2500+ with half a gig of RAM runs it fine on XPPROsp2 - no abnormal delays loading or closing (we're talking 2-3 seconds for either here) and all the ROMs I run in it have been fine, no slow down...

FM-77

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 04:25:53 AM »
2-3 seconds is waaay too much time. I may be impatient, but that's just simply unacceptable. Other emulators like ZSNES, Project 64, KEGA, etc etc (ANY emulator, in fact) takes a couple of nanoseconds to start up, but ME.... :-&

Edit: Just checked. It takes exactly 8 seconds to start up ME, whereas it takes far less than a second to start up ANY other emulator I have (which is about every other system available).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:27:49 AM by Seldane »

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 04:31:36 PM »
Seldane: your system sucks. Plain and simple. :P Magic Engine takes less than a second to start up the first time here, and then it starts up almost instantly afterwards. And my system's old by today's standards.

FM-77

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 02:55:09 AM »
So I'm cursed then? It took just as long on my "old" computer, and a friend's computer as well. :P None of these three computers are weak by any means either.

2X4

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2007, 08:06:18 AM »
Apparently I picked up your swedish curse; I too have this problem.  We're not saying the system chugs when you run ME, it's just slower than it should be.  It should take approximately 0 seconds to fire this thing up.  And it did when it was in it's pre-1.0 flavors.  The only emu that runs slower than this thing is FCE Ultra in full screen, which is choppy as hell for no good reason.  It's nothing I can't live with, it just sucks.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Kitsunexus

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2007, 10:03:29 AM »
The only emu that runs slower than this thing is FCE Ultra in full screen, which is choppy as hell for no good reason.  It's nothing I can't live with, it just sucks.

FCEUDX doesn't do that to me...

Gentlegamer

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »
Magic Engine works great for me. It will be perfect when you can select the CD drive from the command line (for compatibility with frontends and multiple CD images mounted on virtual drives).