Author Topic: The Turbo Duo on PC  (Read 975 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: The Turbo Duo on PC
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 09:52:40 AM »
There are no Turbo emulators for the Mac that will run CDs.  Is teh suk.  Final Cut Pro runs awesome as fukXorZ on a Mac, though.  And I luv me sum Final Cut Pro.

Golgo13

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »
What I have discovered is running an emulator like magic engine looks great when you get a PC with S video out, (I use a laptop) run it into a normal CRT TV that has a S-Video Port.  It really takes the edgy pixelated look away and adds to the realism.

2X4

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »
Selly's right.  Part of it probably is the DirectX drive check, but come on.  It still shouldn't take as long as it does, and yeah, it doesn't freeze up my computer, it's just the idea that emulating a +15 year old system should not skip a f*cking beat even on a Pentium III system.  I just think it needs a little housecleaning on the code.  But here I go again, I don't really know shit.

More directly on topic, yeah try ME demo or any of the aforementioned emus if you just want to try the game.  But for god's sake, take Necro's advice and get real system card roms. 
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 10:32:30 PM »
My pentium 2 at 400mhz windows 98 had no problems running any emulators unless it was N64 or some badly emulated Mame arcade games. Now it is a 1 ghz pentium 3 running windows and flawless. Of course for the past 3 years I have been using a Windows XP 2.4 ghz laptop so no problems here. Yeah, Windows ME is pretty messed up from what I have seen from my friends computer. It is a compaq so maybe that is more of the problem.

Seldane did you ever try backing everything up on your computer and then wiping the HD drive clean then re-install everything. It fixed like shit ton of problems with my Dell Laptop so it runs 3-4 time better. Sometimes the drivers can be conflicting with op system or there could be hidden background programs slowing it down. You be suprised, I have try reg edit and everything to fix the problems and wiping out the drive was the only thing that worked.

FM-77

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 01:14:20 AM »
Seldane did you ever try backing everything up on your computer and then wiping the HD drive clean then re-install everything.

I do it like once a month. :wink: Trust me, my computer's not even remotely slow, but ME (1.0) is nasty. It takes longer to exit that program than what it takes to exit Oblivion!

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 12:41:44 PM »
Anyone know how to get Yame to make usable screenshots of PC Engine games? All it ever spits out for me are garbage bitmaps.  :(
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »
I didn't even know that Yame had a screenshot feature. Your best bet would probably be to use the PrintScrn button and paste if that's the case.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 03:00:04 PM »
Seldane: change the display type. If you're using OpenGL, switch to DirectX, and vice versa. If that doesn't fix it, stop using video drivers that dinosaurs used.

FM-77

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 02:31:05 AM »
Seldane: change the display type. If you're using OpenGL, switch to DirectX, and vice versa. If that doesn't fix it, stop using video drivers that dinosaurs used.

I'm using the latest forceware drivers from Nvidia. :P

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 08:58:07 AM »
32 gigs of RAM and stuff

:|

.....wait.......
 :shock:

I think you have the fastest PC on the planet!!

isn't 1 or 2 gb pretty much the norm for ram nowadays.....................?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 09:41:21 AM »
Don't Vista and OSX both use 32 bit addressing, limiting ram to less than 4GB anyway?  Either Seldane's exaggerating a bit, has one hellish beast of a workstation, or is drunk.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 09:50:36 AM »
I use Vista X64, which uses 64 bit addressing. :p

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »
Magic Engine isn't particularly good. It requires twelve quad core CPUs at 5,7 GHz each and a quad-SLI Geforce 8800 Ultra setup as well as 32 GB RAM (rated at AT LEAST 1266 MHz) to run as it should (and that's just for the GUI itself - don't get me started on the actual emulation part). The PC Engine still needs a great emulator.

What the hell are you talking about? My first computer was an HP Pavillion 6330 with 96MB of ram, a Voodoo 2 graphics card, a 3GB HD and an AMD K6-2 "3DNow!" capable processor running at 300MHZ, this ran the original buggy crash-prone Windows 98..

This configuration ran MagicEngine flawlessly for a long time. Even today it can run MagicEngine, the only major change to the system being that it runs on the superior Windows 98 SE, with the unofficial Service pack. This configuration will not crash unless I go out of my way to crash it. Runs ME fast and like a dream.

FM-77

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »
Are you talking about ME 1.0 or 0.99? Because the earlier version was fine, but then they replaced the GUI with the world's biggest abomination, that will bring ANY computer to its knees. The fact that it takes longer to start up (and exit) ME 1.0 than Oblivion (or Quake 4, or any new game) should tell you something.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 10:36:14 AM »
I use Vista X64, which uses 64 bit addressing. :p

Touché

Your experience with ME is not normal.  My super powerful 1.47Ghz Athlon with 768MB and XP can run the latest version without slowing to a crawl.  ME's start ups and shut downs take no more than a few seconds for me.  Just how long are yours taking?  I'll bet that nod's correct and the video drivers are the culprit.

Edit: Duh!  It dawned on me that 64 bits is likely the problem.  32 bit software is emulated in 64 bit Vista, and it shouldn't be too surprising that ME isn't well emulated.  Also, I doubt that Nvidia's drivers for 64 bit Vista are optimized yet.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:15:11 PM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles