Author Topic: Power Golf appreciation thread  (Read 640 times)

vestcoat

Power Golf appreciation thread
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:02:36 AM »
I busted out my $6, sealed copy of Power Golf the other night and I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised.
Against all expectations, it was not the worst game I've ever spent my time playing (that award goes to Robodemons).

I know nothing about golf, have never played a golf video game before and the sum of my experience prior to Power Golf consisted of whacking some balls on the driving range one afternoon.

Despite this, I found Power Golf to be quick to learn, challenging, addictive and somewhat brainless.

Unlike Deep Blue, China Warrior, Impossamole and other black sheep, Power Golf seems to have no cult following  and no one dares speak its name.  What's wrong with you people?

Keranu

Re: Power Golf appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:06:59 AM »
I agree, it's a decent golf game. It's nothing new or anything special from your typical golf game, but it's not a bad game at all if you're into old skool golf games. Jack Nicklaus, on the other hand, is in my opinion the worst Turbo game ever made.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

FM-77

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:18:05 AM »
Is it as scary as that old Mario Golf NES game? An overhead golf game would be somewhat interesting I think.

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 12:23:59 PM »
Typically speaking, I dislike sports games.

offsidewing

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »
Typically speaking, I dislike sports games.

Golf games are pretty fun.

Power Golf 2 is the worst piece of shit ever.  Power Golf ROCKS!

nat

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »

I know nothing about golf, have never played a golf video game before and the sum of my experience prior to Power Golf consisted of whacking some balls on the driving range one afternoon.

This, my friend, is where the problem lies.

2X4

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 01:17:52 PM »
I agree, it's a decent golf game. It's nothing new or anything special from your typical golf game, but it's not a bad game at all if you're into old skool golf games. Jack Nicklaus, on the other hand, is in my opinion the worst Turbo game ever made.

I was gonna say, Turbo Golf sucks ass, which is disappointing, because a good golf game can be a perfect time waster, right up there with video game poker.  Maybe I should pick this one up for some Turbo Express time.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:55:49 PM »
I like golf videogames and I have a tough time with Power Golf.  It is extremely tough for me to hit the ball straight.  Or far enough.  For some reason it's not as good as Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo.

offsidewing

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »
Hot Shots Golf 3 is my fave.  It's one of the 5 Video games made this decade that I own.

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »
I like golf videogames and I have a tough time with Power Golf.  It is extremely tough for me to hit the ball straight.  Or far enough.  For some reason it's not as good as Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo.
Top Players Golf for Neo Geo is my favorite golf game of all time. People seem to be more interested in Neo Turf Masters, but man Top Players Golf has the ultimate relaxing feel.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
Unlike Deep Blue, China Warrior, Impossamole and other black sheep, Power Golf seems to have no cult following  and no one dares speak its name.  What's wrong with you people?

Don't forget Night Creatures. I love that game!  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 03:13:27 PM »
POW-WER GOLF!  POW-WER GOLF!

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
Power Golf 2 is the worst piece of shit ever.  Power Golf ROCKS!
I've been wanting to play Power Golf 2 because of the cool realistic pictures! I was hoping for someone to say how this game was going to be better than the first. Is the music good at least?

TR0N

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »
It's all about NeoTurf Master for the, NeoGeo it's one golf game i can get into.

Beside where else can you hear.

IT'S ON THE GWEEN!

Btw i've never tried the, HotShot Golf serise every time i want too a new one comes out  ](*,)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 03:29:11 PM by Tron »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

runinruder

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 03:27:50 PM »
Power Golf is horrible.  It might seem okay if you've never played another golf game or if you compare to other atrocities like Jack Nicklaus, but relative to legitimately good old-school titles (like PGA Tour for the PC), it's completely unacceptable.

As for the black sheep, games like Deep Blue, China Warrior and Night Creatures are certainly distinct.  There's no reason for a golf game that's so utterly generic to ever gain a cult following. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games