Author Topic: forum growth  (Read 2639 times)

ceti alpha

Re: forum growth
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »
"Blame Canada"   Boo hoo! Mr. Green

Go ahead. And I'll transfer the blame to Quebec. lol  :P

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
Portland is the new San Francisco.

Also, I have never actually met a Canadian who said 'eh'.  But then again, all the Canadians I met were from the Prairies.

ceti alpha

« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
Also, I have never actually met a Canadian who said 'eh'.  But then again, all the Canadians I met were from the Prairies.

Actually "eh" isn't that common in Nova Scotia. It's really an Ontario thing and in some of the praries. But Wikipedia actually talks about it:

Quote from Wiki:

Canada

The only usage of eh? that is exclusive to Canada, according to the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, is for "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed" as in, "It's four kilometres away, eh, so I have to go by bike." In that case, eh? is used to confirm the attention of the listener and to invite a supportive noise such as "Mm" or "Oh" or "Okay". It essentially is an interjection meaning, "I'm checking to see you're listening so I can continue."

"Eh" can also be added to the end of a declarative sentence to turn it into a question. For example: "The weather is nice." becomes "The weather is nice, eh?" This same phrase could also be taken as "The weather is nice, don't you agree?".

Depending on the speaker's tone or the dialectal standard, eh can also be perceived as rude or impolite, as "Repeat that!", and not a request.

Further examples of Canadian usage include: "I know, eh?" (Agreement), "Yeah, eh?" (Agreement; tone of voice changes meaning slightly). "I know. Eh!" (Pause between 'know' and 'eh' and emphasise 'eh'. This is an excited agreement.) Although technically questions, these are also said as statements.

The usage of "eh" in Canada is often mocked in the United States, where some view its use as a stereotypical Canadianism. Many Canadians dispute its use (for example, singer Don Freed in his song "Saskatchewan" declares "What is this 'Eh?' nonsense? I wouldn't speak like that if I were paid to."). There are many merchandise items on the market today that use this phrase, such as t-shirts and coffee mugs.

It is often joked about by Canadians as well, and is sometimes even a part of the national identity[1]. For example, a Canadian national team is sometimes referred to as the "Eh? team." Likewise, at one of their concerts, a member of the Canadian Brass, referring to their arrangement of the jazz standard, "Take the A Train," said that they'd considered calling it "Take the train, eh?"

The 2004 edition of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary states that "eh" is used most frequently by residents of Manitoba, Ontario, and New Brunswick, somewhat less frequently in Quebec, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Prince Edward Island, and the three territories, and rarely if ever in Nova Scotia, Alberta and Newfoundland. This may reflect cultural differences among the provinces, perhaps including the physical distance between various areas of Canada and major American population centres.

I find myself using the "I know, eh?" a lot. hehe

Example:

- "Vista sucks!"

- "I know, eh?"

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:41:10 AM by ceti alpha »

GUTS

« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2008, 05:04:05 PM »
I see protests all the time, I hate those people.  They all look exactly the f*cking same- converse shoes, tight black jeans, lots of stupid wrist bands, a retarded beanie with pigtails, etc.  f*cking ridiculous.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
I have never seen a protest in the South Suburbs

I don't think people really care that much

td741

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2008, 10:58:17 AM »
I don't use "eh".  But then again... I'm actually a francophone. :P

ceti alpha

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »
I don't use "eh".  But then again... I'm actually a francophone. Razz

hehe. J'ai besoin de plus de pratique avec mon français, mais il n'y a pas beaucoup des francophones ici en Halifax.](*,)

I was surprised in wiki how they said "eh" is used "somewhat less frequently in Quebec". I guess all the anglophones in Montreal are using it. heh

td741

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
I wouldn't really know about usage in Montreal, since I'm in Ottawa (I'm a Franco-Ontarian.) 

ceti alpha

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2008, 11:43:26 AM »
I wouldn't really know about usage in Montreal, since I'm in Ottawa (I'm a Franco-Ontarian.)

Oh cool. I was born in Ottawa, and I might be moving back sometime soon. I'm definitely going to go up for a week or so in a couple weeks. Going to job hunt up there and stay at a friends. 

termis

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »
Here's a Canadian sterotype fact:

Any Canadian you meet abroad will always point out how that celebrity xyz that just popped out on the tube is Canadian for the umpteenth time, all while rest of the crowd from different nations look each other with that "I really didn't give a f*ck" look.  :) 

Seriously, I've must of come across this symptom from about a dozen Canadians (including my wife) while I was living in Korea & Japan.  :)

ceti alpha

« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2008, 08:10:30 AM »
Here's a Canadian sterotype fact:

Any Canadian you meet abroad will always point out how that celebrity xyz that just popped out on the tube is Canadian for the umpteenth time, all while rest of the crowd from different nations look each other with that "I really didn't give a f*ck" look.  Smile

Seriously, I've must of come across this symptom from about a dozen Canadians (including my wife) while I was living in Korea & Japan.  Smile

Yeah, that is definitely true. We know it too.  :mrgreen: We just can't help our Hollywood inferiority complex. hehe. I think it's starting to fade slowly though as it is becoming more common to have Canadians break through into Hollywood.

rag-time4

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »
As long as I get my volume reports and such turned in on time nobody takes a second glance.

What about TPS reports?

:lol: :lol: LOL I was thinking the same thing!!

I think the funniest part of that movie for me was hearing that Ice Cube song "creep" while they were pulling the e-caper...

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2008, 03:31:46 PM »
If you wanna see more activity, just start another "Turbo vs. Genesis" thread....
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Turbo D

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »
screw you hippie! 

nat

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
Yeah OTB should change his name to "OldGenesisFanBoy".  :wink: