Author Topic: Turbo Duo: too many pack-in games?  (Read 2541 times)

Kitsunexus

Re: Turbo Duo: too many pack-in games?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »
At least you GOT pack-in games, a buisness move that is SORELY needed today.

FM-77

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
I disagree. Maybe if Wii sports wasn't included, I'd consider getting a Wii. Nah, just kidding. But I'd maybe think about possibly considering it. Probably not though. Nonetheless, it would be slightly more appealing without Wii sports. And cheaper.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »
It's not the inclusion of the game, it's the inclusion of Wii Sports. If they included Twilight Princess with the Wii we'd have another shortage on our hands.  :wink:

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »
Screw Twilight Princess, Wii Sports worked great as a pack-in game. What pack-in game did Japan have? Wii Play?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
I do find it funny how the Wii has twice the ram and mhz of a gamecube, but runs with the same type of format so to speak. Yet, the graphics on some games like Zelda Twilight Princess that is also on gamecube is only 20% better looking on the Wii. I did kinda like the Wii Sports but they better make it more responsive if they ever make a really good baseball or boxing game. Fun for a pack in game that they really don't charge you for if you really think about it.

FM-77

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »
Japan did not get a pack-in game. Lucky bastards.

By the way, SNK... I dunno where you heard that, but Twilight Princess looks identical on Wii and Gamecube. Identical. The Wii features the exact same architecture as the Gamecube. It IS a Gamecube, but with a slightly overclocked CPU and GPU.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
I think that maybe it did ship with too many games...but maybe not. The fact that it came with so many games made the system more appealing. I might not have bought one if I had to drop $300, plus another $50 for just one game. I think a lot of people bought very few titles after that though because those five were so great.

All those games certainly didn't raise the price by any means. The system was, at the time, selling for much more in Japan, and included no games. They had to be skimming the edge of profitability at $300.

termis

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 12:56:56 PM »
Well, at the time of the Duo's release, TTI was already way behind in console wars, so they had to do something to try to get market share back from Sega & Nintendo.  I think most people at that point in time didn't give a rat's ass about the Duo and was supporting either the SNES and/or the Genny, especially considering the Sega CD has recently come out  (and this includes me at the time :oops: - oh how I realized the error of my ways years down the line).

It was a valiant effort, but as I said in another thread, once you fall behind in the video game market, it's pretty damn tough to come back.

nat

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 01:09:44 PM »
Yeah, that's really the way I feel, too. It was definitely a last-ditch effort.

jimid2

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »
Yeah, that's really the way I feel, too. It was definitely a last-ditch effort.
Last ditch effort or not, it worked on me... I bought my Duo and then had to sell my TG16/TurboCD combo to help pay for it, but I'd seen a demo of Gate of Thunder in the CompuCenter where I bought it, and I just had to have it...

kenomac78

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 07:16:15 PM »
i thought it was  good deal and it showed off the power of the duo, as well as  allowing an already decent build up of games. i think in 92 93 or 94  ys was still a decent game that didnt seem dated.

pack ins are desperately needed again today!

Monster Bonce

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2007, 04:17:43 AM »
I wonder if there is a "Did NEC/TTI do ANYTHING right with the Turbo" thread.

I know something they did right: they made some great consoles and games. :P

Some interesting reactions to the thread. I can sort of see both points of view now.

I agree, pack-ins are needed. I wouldn't have bought the Wii if it didn't come with a game. On the other hand, I was dubious about Wii Sports—thankfully it turned out to be great.

I suspect pack-ins stopped with the PlayStation with Sony marketing it as all things to all people? In this situation you wouldn't want a "kiddie game" if you were 25 and your parents wouldn't want you playing GTA if you were 10. Am I right? I didn't pay much attention to the PS when it came out (too busy doing other things) and have no idea so this is just a guess.

FM-77

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 04:23:25 AM »
My NES didn't come with a pack-in game. My SNES didn't come with a pack-in game. My Mega Drive didn't come with a pack-in game. The PS was certainly not the first console to be sold in this fantastic way. Down with pack-ins.

Monster Bonce

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 05:03:49 AM »
My NES didn't come with a pack-in game. My SNES didn't come with a pack-in game. My Mega Drive didn't come with a pack-in game. The PS was certainly not the first console to be sold in this fantastic way. Down with pack-ins.

Really? Wow. My SNES came with Super Mario World and my friend's Super Famicom came with it too. The Mega Drive here came with Altered Beast, if I recall correctly. The SMS had two games built in, an Alex Kidd game and some kind of dreadful maze game.

Maybe it depends on the territory or the time of buying.

Why don't you like pack-ins? Do you think they're usually inferior games or is it because you want something that exactly matches your tastes?

MrFulci

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 05:27:11 AM »
Systems used to release many different versions of themselves. Such as Sega Genesis, with model 1 system, had a Altered Beast system, and a "Core" system without a game. Later there was a system that included Sonic 1 as a pack-in

Later, they did similar with the Model 2. There was a Core (No game), Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, probably some sports bundle, etc.

Sega CD model 1 I think had a Core System, and a Sewer Shark System. Later, the Sega CD model 2 had a Sewer Shark, Tomcat Alley, and some football game packages.

I don;t keep up with games as I used to, however all these pack-ins have seemed to have slowed down quite a bit. However, I have seen, 'bundles" advertised. In the past I've seen a gamecube in some blister packing, that included at least a game and a 2nd controller).
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".