Author Topic: Turbo Duo: too many pack-in games?  (Read 2545 times)

FM-77

Re: Turbo Duo: too many pack-in games?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:43 AM »
Why don't you like pack-ins? Do you think they're usually inferior games or is it because you want something that exactly matches your tastes?

That's right. I don't like pack-ins because they are usually games that I'm (and probably many many others, I've heard tons of complaints about Wii Sports, for example) not interested in, and more importantly: without pack-ins, the system itself will be cheaper. Again, they often say "buy X and get X free game", but we all know this isn't true at all. You do pay for the game, and more often than not - you pay for a game that you don't want.

offsidewing

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 08:26:21 AM »
Whether you hate on sports or don't have dexterity beyond your fingertips, the Wii Sports game does an excellent job showcasing the system's controller interface. 

For me, regardless of the pack-in, I always set my mind to beating (if applicable) the title included with the system.  If I don't like it, there's zero replay value.

I guess that's why people can't give away Keith Courage now...

Black Tiger

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »
I meant you only got three hard copy games, just to clear up confusion when people thought too many games were included which was the reason for the high price.

No, you mean that you received three pieces of media.  There's still six separate games (I refuse to count Ys separately - some may disagree, but they're wrong).

Ys was released as a single game on like 6 platforms before the PC Engine version bundled I & II together and both games continued to receive seperate ports for another decade or so until Ys I & II Complete for PC. Unless you count the PS2 port of Ys I & II Complete, Ys I & II have only ever appeared together twice in 20 years on a dozen formats.

Anyone who refuses to count Ys I & II as seperate games is wrong.  :wink:

Whether you hate on sports or don't have dexterity beyond your fingertips, the Wii Sports game does an excellent job showcasing the system's controller interface.

This is the same reason why the Turbo Duo pack-ins were so important. It showcased what you could expect from the 3 game formats/both media it plays. Both Ys & GoT were perfect examples of the benefit of CD technology and all the HuCard games were examples that you could still expect great games in card form.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 01:08:52 PM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

td741

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »
The SMS had two games built in, an Alex Kidd game and some kind of dreadful maze game.

Didn't those pack-ins come with the SMS-2?  The original model of SMS's came with that Safari Hunt, Hang On and the hidden maze game.  (I don't even remember playing that maze game to be honest. :P)  I think the first SMS systems had the Safari Hunt and Hang On games in a cart, and then they eventually got built in.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »
I wonder if there is a "Did NEC/TTI do ANYTHING right with the Turbo" thread.

I know something they did right: they made some great consoles and games. :P

Well, I think what we are talking about here is If NEC USA, or TTI did anything right for the US market. I don't think that they made great consoles and games because they didn't make any consoles or games. All that stuff came from Japan except maybe for Darkwing Duck, or Talespin, or some other unplayable shit.

Given that the US market was heavily action oriented back then, and the PC Engine was so RPG and sim oriented at that time (the TTI years), I think the honest truth is that the PC Engine didn't provide what Americans wanted (cheaper hardware, and games that cater to illiterate sports freaks) and Americans didn't want what the PC Engine provided (text heavy lolicon otaku stuff that is expensive to translate).

My friends and I all loved the Duo, but we also loved Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, etc which were niche titles in the US back then. Now they sell just as well in the US as they do in Japan, if not better. Things were different back then.

kenomac78

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
youre right about the sports freaks, i think sports games are fine, but i could never buy nfl, nhl, nba, mlb year after year forever!  of corse the PSX did sort of finally offer an 'all things to all people' mentality. it was almost like a PC with its variety and good to garbage ratio. i am sure that if the 16 bit generation were today, or the anime/otaku movement caught on 10 years before it did *** then it would have had a better chance. but if you ask me otaku fandom is just as loud and annoying and mindless as sports andom. if you  look at the timeline of gams  systems were loaded with elaborate stuff early on and as time went on the got stripped away .  atari gave you sticks paddles and a game. intellivision and coleco gave you  add ons and games, nintendo gave the robot the gun or the. power pad. sega and nec (burn me if you want) started the whole one controller thing, which no everyone does, and i personally hate. now you only get a demo disc if that, save for the wii. but oncepeople realized  you could save money by limiting thee things, knowing people will buy them anyways there went the fun.  but truly only super mario bros, and maybe sonic were the only pack ins that i would consider hot must have games that moved a system. the rest were just there to give you somehing to play. 

also note that no console that did not have the annual sports gave has never reached mainstream popularity in america. i think that says it all about the kind of games people want here. or at least tha kind of game that will motivate alot of people to go buy something just to play the same thing over and over.

***i do believe that anime  was viable at least 20-25 years ago a was evident with such great shows as battle of the planets and robotech and etc, but it did not reach mainstream (read: annoying fans who only like it because its suddenly the in-trend thing to like)  till after the TG was long gone, i think. 

of course in my young days anime fandom was about appreciating quality, realisistic, dramatic animation that you couldnt find in the US.  not about being a bunch of  whiny losers who cant get any because they spend their whole life walled up in their rooms with a manga in one hand and a bag of corn chips in the other while dreaming of someday finding some perfect cat like girl french maid butler, wishing they were japanese so someone would finally understand them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 05:11:34 PM by kenomac78 »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2007, 05:23:37 PM »
robotech

That show is the most boring anime on Earth, well I'm sure there's a more boring anime but I have yet to see it.

60's anime is shit. Shit like Kimba, Speed Racer, Astro Boy, the world needs to forget that shit. Horrible, horrible shit.

80's anime is a mixed bag. For every piece of shit like Robotech you have an Akira.

For my money, anime peaked in the 90's with stuff like Slayers Perfect, My Neighbor Totoro, Battle Angel Alita, Tenchi Universe, Outlaw Star, Azumanga Daioh, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Yu Yu Hakusho and a couple of others. The only anime that even looks WORTHY of seeing today is Paprika, which I will torrent later.

Any kids anime is generally shit, with a couple of exceptions in My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away, and maybe some others that I can't think of right now. The only good thing about Pokémon is some of the monsters like Mewtwo and Pikachu.The storyline sucked. Digimon was even worse, with lamer monsters. The only one I even liked was Gomamon.

It should be a felony for Dragonball Z and Naruto to exist. This felony should carry the death penalty. The original Dragonball is OK however...

I'm not a fan of the overhyped anime shit. This is like Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Excel Saga, Ninja Scroll, X, etc... You're supposedly not with it if you don't like these, if I have to like these to be "with it" then by God I don't want to be with it! Boring boring shit fests.

So yeah, that's what I think of anime.

runinruder

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 06:33:41 PM »
I don't care about anime in general, but Robotech rules. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2007, 07:11:55 PM »
If you don't like Cowboy Bebop, then you shouldn't be watching anime in the first place since you obviously have no taste.  That's like saying Casablanca or The Godfather are shit movies.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »
Ys was released as a single game on like 6 platforms before the PC Engine version bundled I & II together and both games continued to receive seperate ports for another decade or so until Ys I & II Complete for PC. Unless you count the PS2 port of Ys I & II Complete, Ys I & II have only ever appeared together twice in 20 years on a dozen formats.

Anyone who refuses to count Ys I & II as seperate games is wrong.  :wink:

Really?  Did those earlier versions come on a single cartridge/disc and play from beginning to end with no break in the action other than a cut scene?  My point is that if no other versions of the game existed and Ys I & II were renamed to just Ys, nobody would play it and think 'Hey, what the f*ck's going on here.  This is two completely separate games glued together.'  I'll partially concede the point and revise my previous statement to 'I refuse to count Ys on TG-CD separately - some may disagree, but they're wrong'.  :P

PS - learn to spell separate.  :twisted:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

shubibiman

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2007, 08:40:34 PM »
I've always wondered why the DUO didn't get more success in the US with such a pack. 6 games! Japanese NEC consoles didn't include games at all. Sodipeng, the company that imported pc engine consoles in France, did sell games with the machines. We also had a pack that included a Coregrafx, a multitap, 2 pads and one game : this one was quite popular at the time and I think much contributed to the "success" of NEC consoles in France.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

TR0N

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2007, 08:58:04 PM »
robotech

That show is the most boring anime on Earth, well I'm sure there's a more boring anime but I have yet to see it.

60's anime is shit. Shit like Kimba, Speed Racer, Astro Boy, the world needs to forget that shit. Horrible, horrible shit.

80's anime is a mixed bag. For every piece of shit like Robotech you have an Akira.

For my money, anime peaked in the 90's with stuff like Slayers Perfect, My Neighbor Totoro, Battle Angel Alita, Tenchi Universe, Outlaw Star, Azumanga Daioh, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Yu Yu Hakusho and a couple of others. The only anime that even looks WORTHY of seeing today is Paprika, which I will torrent later.

Any kids anime is generally shit, with a couple of exceptions in My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away, and maybe some others that I can't think of right now. The only good thing about Pokémon is some of the monsters like Mewtwo and Pikachu.The storyline sucked. Digimon was even worse, with lamer monsters. The only one I even liked was Gomamon.

It should be a felony for Dragonball Z and Naruto to exist. This felony should carry the death penalty. The original Dragonball is OK however...

I'm not a fan of the overhyped anime shit. This is like Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Excel Saga, Ninja Scroll, X, etc... You're supposedly not with it if you don't like these, if I have to like these to be "with it" then by God I don't want to be with it! Boring boring shit fests.

Can you say generation gap what you think of the anime from the 60s,70s,80s is crap... but to people who grew up on 'it have fond memorise for it.

I don't think those period for anime were that bad i enjoy shows such as, Robotech and all.

I got np with what came out of the 90's in general for anime.

Afther that anime went down hill if you ask me... it's all about eye candy now and doing rehash's these days.

Still every generation has it's share of crappy shows no matter what "time period it comes from past or persent.

Just like with video games as well.

Btw i see you mention Gundam Wing i couldn't stand that show please,i found the characters in it to be annoying. Plus you didn't know what side they were on... or what there motive's were.

I rather watch a old school gundam serise suchs as, Mobile Suit Gundam and Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory befor i watch Gundam Wing again.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:08:02 PM by Tron »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

malducci

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2007, 10:03:30 PM »
robotech

Ehh but what do you know, you're just a kid still. Either way, thank god there are people who don't share your opinion.

kenomac78

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2007, 12:30:58 AM »
i was hoping my comments would not spark a discussion about what series is better than what. but rather about if the mainstream popularity of anime would have helped the TG 16, if it would have happened just a little earlier.  or would have  NWC not ben able to do 1+1 and not try to cash in like they didnt do anyways,

Monster Bonce

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2007, 01:07:54 AM »
 :|
Didn't those pack-ins come with the SMS-2?  The original model of SMS's came with that Safari Hunt, Hang On and the hidden maze game.  (I don't even remember playing that maze game to be honest. :P)  I think the first SMS systems had the Safari Hunt and Hang On games in a cart, and then they eventually got built in.

You're right. I got confused. That maze game was woeful.