Author Topic: Bonk 4  (Read 1085 times)

Turbo D

Re: Bonk 4
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 08:01:52 PM »
you're not the only one! I also think this game is awesome. I have ever since the first time i became aware of its existence. I really wish that someone with the prototype would translate it to engrish so that we could give it a spin.

FM-77

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 02:51:37 AM »
I don't think that whatever was made (if they really DID make anything, which I highly doubt) was even remotely playable. And why translate it to Engrish?

Was there any info about this in japanese magazines?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 07:03:02 PM »
Am I the only person who thinks this game looks awesome? :D

Apparently you are :wink:  Which is making me rethink about you being a member of FU.......maybe your bad eye for things will bring us to ruin :lol: :dance: ](*,)

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »
Ohhh yeah, up high!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 07:17:16 PM »
The original mockups for a Bonk RPG looked cool, but I was disappointed when I saw this in EGM.

If I were to make a Bonk RPG, I'd set the battles up FF/Kabukiden style(side view) with three characters. But I'd probably do a dimension/world crossing Hudson RPG instead, with Bomberman and Bonk as the main characters, joined by lots of other playable Hudson characters.

Kinda like they did with Star Parodier.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
If I were to make a Bonk RPG, I'd set the battles up FF/Kabukiden style(side view) with three characters. But I'd probably do a dimension/world crossing Hudson RPG instead, with Bomberman and Bonk as the main characters, joined by lots of other playable Hudson characters.
That would be pretty rad.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 11:44:41 PM »
Keranu, I'm with you: I would have loved to see Bonk RPG come out, even if it looked liked the pics (I'm sure it would have been slightly better).

Hey, I had a blast playing Final Lap Twin RPG -- Bonk RPG would certainly be an enjoyable experience.

Unlike black_tiger, I would want a "pure" Bonk RPG that focused squarely on the PC Genjin universe. Actually, I'd want an action RPG, which is surely what they had in mind.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 12:52:34 AM »
I don't know, to me, it looks turn based.  You have one huge overworld in Bonk's Quest(the US name, which hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet), rather then a field like that of Neutopia or Ys.

ccovell

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 01:56:56 AM »
The original mockups for a Bonk RPG looked cool, but I was disappointed when I saw this in EGM.

Indeed.  Hudson did a lot of mock-ups around the time of PC-Genjin 2, for new Bonk concepts, like Genjin no Tetris, RPC Genjin, Genjin no Yabou (war sim), and most of them probably were just still images created in their paint programs.

This one shown in EGM is probably the real thing, a working proto of the RPG.  And it happens: sometimes real versions look a lot worse than their concept mock-ups.

On a semi-related note, on a video I have with an interview with 2 of the designers of the Momotarou series & Monbit, they said that Hudson made something like a dozen prototype concepts a month, and only a few make it through.  So, it's no surprise this Genjin RPG was cancelled.

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 03:57:01 AM »

Indeed.  Hudson did a lot of mock-ups around the time of PC-Genjin 2, for new Bonk concepts, like Genjin no Tetris, RPC Genjin, Genjin no Yabou (war sim), and most of them probably were just still images created in their paint programs.

This one shown in EGM is probably the real thing, a working proto of the RPG.  And it happens: sometimes real versions look a lot worse than their concept mock-ups.

On a semi-related note, on a video I have with an interview with 2 of the designers of the Momotarou series & Monbit, they said that Hudson made something like a dozen prototype concepts a month, and only a few make it through.  So, it's no surprise this Genjin RPG was cancelled.

They actually made a bunch of games like that with Bomberman: Panic Bomerman, Bomberman Wars, Bomberman Fight, Bomberman 64.  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
Unlike black_tiger, I would want a "pure" Bonk RPG that focused squarely on the PC Genjin universe. Actually, I'd want an action RPG, which is surely what they had in mind.
There are some screenshots of the game that show turn-based battles, so I'm assuming that's the direction they were heading in. There was a cool pic of Bonk fighting King Drool in battle!

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »
Panic Bomberman came out on pc engine cd

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »
There are some screenshots of the game that show turn-based battles, so I'm assuming that's the direction they were heading in. There was a cool pic of Bonk fighting King Drool in battle!

Actually, from memory, I recall those pictures you speak of, as being fake.  IIRC, some magazine posted it, maybe it was actually part of the Genjin comic, but EGM thought that it was pictures for an RPG Genjin game.  Kind of similar to how people thought the PC Genjin comic, was a game that was coming out.  Anyways, I seem to remember, somebody clarifying that those weren't pictures from any planned Genjin RPG.

Turbo D

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »
Well, it wasn't called rpg genjin, it was called RPC原人 or RPC Caveman. It was featured in many magazines in Japan.

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »
Actually, from memory, I recall those pictures you speak of, as being fake.  IIRC, some magazine posted it, maybe it was actually part of the Genjin comic, but EGM thought that it was pictures for an RPG Genjin game.  Kind of similar to how people thought the PC Genjin comic, was a game that was coming out.  Anyways, I seem to remember, somebody clarifying that those weren't pictures from any planned Genjin RPG.
Ahh, that could certainly be correct as the King Drool sprite seemed to be taken straight from the previous games and the battle background and menus were just simple black designs. I think there was a new sprite for Bonk though...