Author Topic: Last US Games?  (Read 1501 times)

KingDrool

Last US Games?
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:29:29 PM »
What were the last games for both formats (CD, Turbo Chip) released in the US?  I always thought they were Magical Chase and Super Air Zonk.  But this article lists Bomberman '93 and Bonk III CD.
http://www.huguesjohnson.com//features/closing_time/index.html#atari5200

Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

vestcoat

Re: Last US Games?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 05:24:52 PM »
I have always read that Bonk 3 SCD was the last US release, so the article is right on that account.  Besides Mindrec's releases of Implode and Meteor Blaster, it's worth noting that Hudson made a second printing of Dungeon Explorer 2 in 1996 or 1997 sold through TZD.

I don't know what the last turbochip was.  (the last turbochips with JEWEL CASES were Night Creatures and Gun Boat.)

Anyone know what the last US game was for standard CD?  I know it would be one of these five:  Vasteel, Sherlock Holmes 2, Terraforming, Splash Lake, Buster Brothers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:28:02 PM by vestcoat »

neofan

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »
Well Bomberman 93 was by no means the last one....
from memory

SCD's
Might and Magic III
Godzilla
Terraforming
Bonk III CD
Dynastic Hero

I'm no even going to guess about the TurboChips...tho Magical Chase, and Bonk 3 were some of the last ones I saw on the shelves at EB....stopped getting HuCards at the end because the difference between them and the SCD's were just too big. I was all about the cool new CD-format....
Oh and I was pissed that the "last" TurboChips didn't even come in a case, just a crappy plastic tray

Neofan's PC-FX Hints and Walkthrus
http://my.att.net/p/PWP-nec
"it's enough to get you started"

Take the awesome PC-FX quiz!
http://quizilla.teennick.com/tests/16054718/click-here-to-add-a-test-title

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
Bonk 3 CD was indeed the last cd in the US.  It came out, after TTI had totally closed up shop.  IIRC, TZD started selling it around December of 94.  I remember it being my senior year, so, it must've been 94.

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:03:33 PM »
Sooo...how bout that last hucard?
Of the final releases, I suspect it is one of these four:
--
Bomberman 93
Bonk 3 hucard
Magical Chase
World Sports Competition
---------
Any guesses?

The contenders:
Air Zonk
Bomberman 93
Bonk 3 hucard
Chase HQ
Darkwing Duck
Dead Moon
Falcon
Ghost Manor
Hit the Ice
Jackie Chan
Legend Hero Tonma
Magical Chase
Neutopia 2
New Adventure Island
Order of the Griffon
Samuria Ghost
Shockman
Soldier Blade
Somer Assault
Time Cruise
World Sports Competition
-------

kenomac78

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:26:22 PM »
i would wager it to be bonk 3, for the turbochips.

damn it to hell that i had to throw away  all my VG and CE , my mom thought it would catch fire and our brand new house would be gone forever.

but i recall a small blurb there where turbochips were being rebraned as 'duosoft' starting with bonk 3. bonk 3 is also the first last and only game to adopt the TTI DUO style packaging with the artwork bordered around the TTI logo on the bottom and hucards on the side. also looking at japan bomberman 93 is vol 56 and bonk 3 is vol 58 this likely pins it as the final usa card game.

with the same packaging only a handful of games were made this way on CD. they are

beyond shadowgate
bonk 3 cd
dungeon explorer 2
dungeon mastre therons quest
dynastic hero
godzilla
madden
might and magic 3
riot zone
sherlock holmes 2
super air zonk
terraforming

so its automatically narrowed down to these if you believe the TTI labeling was the last batch of games. its my opinion that the last few were also made in severly low numbers. games  still available at turbo zone direct, i believe are not the last ones because many more are still available.

sherlock holmes 2 is labled as a CD and super CD. terraforming, a listed by pcecp.com lso has the feature, but its not on the case as such. the last true cd rom2 only game has to be buster bros. as it has a copyright date of 1993.

the only printed proof of an release dates i have seen recently was i found a scan of EGM from 1993 that lists beyond shadowgate as released in 1993. while this may have changed, its the only solid evidence i have seen of any games. (yea i could speculate on all the things i remember but in not lionel hutz where heresay and conjecture are kinds of evidence.)

these links are here

http://www.planetnintendo.com/shadowgate/game_beyond-tg-egm-ad.html
http://www.planetnintendo.com/shadowgate/game_beyond-tg-egm-review.html

the second one dos not hae a date listed on the magazine but it is next to a 3do games which means it must have been after  10/93.

i have seen some text transcripts of egm reviews and they have reviewed all the games it looks like, i think VG and CE did too, as for gamepro,who knows and who cares, and i think die hard game fan may have had some too. so if anyone has acces to these magazines they can crack the secret.

TZD had  put on their page at one point that bonk 3 cd  was put out in dec 94, by them not TTI and dead of the brain was the last NEC game as a ppoint of reference as to when it all stopped. bonk 3 cd also had no japanese release.  i you want to call it that you can, but it was not truly officially TTI.  out of the blue i would say it is dynastic hero as it has the highet catalog number. maybe 12-93 or anytime in 1994

also that page has some inaccuracies. the final snes game was yoshis story in 98 (unless i am wrong) N64 was powepuff girls or madden for that year and for PSX its also madden as or atari 2600 it not secret quest, is sentinnel in 1990. he also seems to mix up last games produced and last for sale. and there is also the matterof japan or euopean releases for places where systems still have/had life

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:22:24 PM by kenomac78 »

turbofan1

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
I think the last game released for the Turbo was Keith Courage.Just kidding.I think the last turbochip game was Was Magical Chase.And the last cd game was either Super Air Zonk,The Dynastic Hero,Might and Magic III,or Terraforming.Does anybody no the the last pc engine game released?Im guessing it was probably Dead Of Brain.

nat

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »
Dead of the Brain, for sure.

cho_aniki

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 05:12:14 PM »

On Hu-card I also think Bonk 3 was the last release as it is the only one packaged with the TTI Duo logo on the box.  If Magical Chase was the last release I suspect it would have had similar packaging, although I could be wrong I suppose.  Magical Chase is certainly the rarest of the two, but isn't that simply because it was less popular and hence sold less copies?

As far as the last CD release is concerned, I am really not sure, but my guess would be Bonk 3 CD. 

On Pc-engine it is definitely Dead of the Brain on CD (1999), and 21 EMON ( December 1994) on Hu-card.

vestcoat

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
Ok, I dug through all of the flyers, ads and catalogs TTI mailed to me in their final days.  Here are my findings:

Magical Chase came out in July and Bonk 3 hucard came out in August, making it the last turbochip.  This supports the theory about its different packaging.

Terraforming came out after Sherlock Holmes 2 (June) which came out after Buster Bros (January) which came out after Splash Lake (92), making Terraforming the last CD (I don't care what the case says).  I think this follows a logical progression--the first two have SCD-style packaging but are still labeled as standard CD-roms, SH2 has logos for both disc formats and by the time Terraforming finally came along they wanted everybody to upgrade to SCD and labeled the game as such.

I've read in a number of different places that Bonk 3 was the last SCD.  I think Steve may have mentioned it in the TZD interview Aaron did with him.  I forget.  There is no mention of Bonk 3 SCD, Dynastic Hero, Super air zonk, or
Terraforming in any of the last catalogs, so they were probably the final releases ending with Bonk 3.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 06:00:35 PM by vestcoat »

vestcoat

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 06:03:20 PM »
One sticky point:  does Battle Lode Runner now hold the title of last/latest US release even though it was released on VC?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »
From memory, it seems like I picked up Beyond Shadowgate around February & Dynastic Hero around March or April.  Just to give some more info on release dates, since I bought them right when they came out.  As for Bonk 3, it came out either on the same day, or a week later, as Darkwing Duck.  Because I remember picking up Darkwing Duck right when it came out, but then returned it immediatly for Bonk 3.  Infact, I may have had a choise between the two initially, & opted for DW unfortunatly.  So, DW & Bonk 3 might be the last 2.  But, World Sports Competition sticks in my mind as being pretty late in the game as well. :-k

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 01:03:15 AM »
I bought Bomberman '93 and Bonk 3 HuCard long before the last games were released.

The last ones I saw in a store were Magical Chase and Cotton, which were at the next town over. But I checked their Turbo stock on a regular basis and MC at least, I for sure didn't find there until the very end.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

turbofan1

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »
I think P D may be wright about World sports competition being the last game.Even though for years I thought that Tv sports baseball had been released.I was disappointed to find out it wasn't.Going off topic,I remember reading in A magazine that Cinemaware or TTI was planning on doing sequels to those games.Anyways releasing A sports game as the last game wasn't A great way to go out.If they would have released Fantasy star Soldier that would have been better.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 06:59:50 PM »
But, Fantasy Star Soldier was a cd game, unless, you mean last game ever.  Which I still believe is Bonk 3 CD.  I even remember Eun Lopez(that secretary of TTI I was friends with) telling me that it was going to be released after TTI closed shop, & that TZD would handle it.  And I'm pretty sure all the other games were released by TTI, as she didn't mention any others that were coming out, after TTI's last day.