Author Topic: Question about North Mexican, er, Canadian releases..  (Read 1107 times)

offsidewing

Question about North Mexican, er, Canadian releases..
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »
Let me first say that I'm into the TG-16 for playing games and not as an investment.  I leave my investments in Beanie Babies and Tickle Me Elmos.

Ok, so I just got my sealed copy of Monster Lair.  It seems as if it was an NEC Canada release (per the address on the back of the game and it being in French and English.

As noted, I'm not into this for the bling, but are Canadian boxes/packaging rare or anything??  I just don't want to get into a situation like "The Sandlot" where I use something priceless to satisfy a childish urge.

I want to play the game, but I don't want to open it if it's an uber rare item as being a Canadian release.

PS.  When there is a Thunderstorm in Canada, do canadian count the approaching storm as "one Mississauga, two Mississauga?

nat

Re: Question about North Mexican, er, Canadian releases..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:40:10 PM »
Hey, where you been, man?

I thought maybe they threw you in the pen for, like, tax evasion or something.

offsidewing

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »
Hey, where you been, man?

I thought maybe they threw you in the pen for, like, tax evasion or something.

Nah, busy with work, then a vacation to New England, and now I'm entrenched in an epic battle with a head cold.  I'm gone like two weeks and everybody changes their names?!?!?!

WTF!  WHO ARE YOU!  FOR GOD'S SAKE...

nat

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »

WTF!  WHO ARE YOU!  FOR GOD'S SAKE...

Take a wild guess.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »
Nat.... naw it can't be. Wait...... Nat!!!!!

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 11:22:12 PM »
Its Turbo N!

jimid2

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:34:31 AM »
As noted, I'm not into this for the bling, but are Canadian boxes/packaging rare or anything?? 

Not up here in Canada...  Strangely enough, I recently bought a new, sealed-in-box copy of Fu Man Chew from a shop in the UK, and it came in the US packaging. I was kind of hoping for the European packaging, just to check it out... :lol:

Aside: there is a big difference between Canada and Mexico... Mexico's a developing country. Canada is one of the - if not THE - best country in the world to live in.

FYI, ('cause the US media would never report this) Mercer Consulting just published their annual list of the Fifty Best Cities In The World To Live In.  Canada's five largest cities all place in the top 25. The United States doesn't have any cities listed in the top 25. Mercer, the consulting business of Marsh & McLennan Companies, employs more than 15,000 individuals in 40 countries around the world. Their analysis is based on an evaluation of 39 quality-of-living criteria for each city including political, social, economic and environmental factors, personal safety and health, education, transport and other public services.

The Mercer report echoes the findings of London-based EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) that in a recent publication stated "With low crime, little threat from instability or terrorism and a highly developed infrastructure, Canada has the most liveable destinations in the world."

Of course, Americans are frequently stunned to discover that pretty much everyone else in the world thinks Canada is a better country to live in than the United States, but that's because we generally work really hard to keep it secret from those living south of our border... We've seen the trouble they have with Mexico, and we don't want to have to build a 8900 km barb-wire fence...  :mrgreen:

PS.  When there is a Thunderstorm in Canada, do canadian count the approaching storm as "one Mississauga, two Mississauga?
When there's a thunderstorm in my neighbourhood, we go out and play in the rain...  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:36:17 AM by jimid2 »

offsidewing

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 02:54:01 AM »
As noted, I'm not into this for the bling, but are Canadian boxes/packaging rare or anything?? 

Not up here in Canada...  Strangely enough, I recently bought a new, sealed-in-box copy of Fu Man Chew from a shop in the UK, and it came in the US packaging. I was kind of hoping for the European packaging, just to check it out... :lol:

I picked mine up from the UK as well.  Weird that I got a Canadian release, but seeing how the Canadian Gov't still recognizes the Queen of England as the head of it's gov't, I understand why.  The other games I picked up from there were US releases.

MrFulci

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:34:22 AM »
I don't put much into those, "Best places to live" lists. Before I read too much into them, I like to know exactly what they're measuring stick is. Though, it is amusing when you find that you live right next to one of those listed. I live a few miles outside Money Magazine's, #4 out of 100, "Best places to live" 2006.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/snapshots/PL2419125.html

I found a Mercer list, http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html. Interesting, though it only covers major areas, it seems.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

jimid2

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:44:01 AM »
Weird that I got a Canadian release, but seeing how the Canadian Gov't still recognizes the Queen of England as the head of it's gov't, I understand why.
Um, actually, I don't think you do understand. Canada is a Commonwealth Realm. Elizabeth II is not only the Queen of England, she is the Queen of Canada as well, and thus she is our Head of State and the repository of Executive Power. Because she does not reside in Canada, she appoints a Governor-General to represent her and act in her stead (currently Michaƫlle Jean). The person she selects for this position is actually chosen by our Prime Minister elect, who "advises" Her Majesty on the selection. The truth is Her Majesty seldom meddles in domestic affairs, though the Governor-General can and will dissolve Parliament should a minority Government fail to win a vote of non-confidence (this has happened in my lifetime).

MrFulci

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:55 AM »
About the Canada releases.

I don't think they're too rare. Though, there are probably less of them than there are US releases.

I have a few Canada releases, when I purchased Deep Blue from TZD in the mid 90's, it was in the Canada packaging.

So, yeah, it is more rare, however, I don't know of any group of people looking to collect the Canada releases. I don't think anyone has put together a list of what was released in Canada, either. Offsidewing, if it concerns you, go ahead and keep it sealed, and buy anotehr copy of the game from the seller. It's another $15-30, though... Who knows, maybe you can corner the market on Mosnter Lair with Canada packaging!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

nat

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:01:38 AM »
I, too, have received many games over the years in the Canadian packaging. A number of them through TZD.

I'd venture a guess they aren't too rare.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:10:56 AM »
They probably are rare, as the TG-16 wasn't very popular in Canada (not enough hockey and moose themed games), but who gives a shit?  Rip that sum bitch open and play 'er.  Nobody wants to collect the bastardized US releases known as 'Canadian' releases.

As for Canada's big showing in a 'Best Places to Live' list, big surprise - it's called same sex marriages and medicinal marijuana.  :dance:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

jimid2

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:02:47 AM »
As for Canada's big showing in a 'Best Places to Live' list, big surprise - it's called same sex marriages and medicinal marijuana.  :dance:

Actually, I think it has more to do with a strong economy, excellent public schools and social services (including socialized medicine), and a minimal crime rate (with very, very little violent crime - our gun crime rate per capita is something like 1% of the US gun crime rate, and we have nearly as many firearms per capita in this country). Medicinal marijuana is not a license you want to qualify for - you have to be pretty damned ill to get it. Same sex marriages are just a by-product of a well-educated liberal democracy.

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 05:04:59 AM »
I like the fact that Canada has socialized medicine. I wish we had that feature in the U.S.